The Pesky MPEG 4 Conversion

Post a link to a test clip, I’ll do a comparison Just For You. Also, x264 is an encoder. Badaboom is another, entirely different, h264 encoder.

It’ s all the same quality wise on the ipod? Poppy cock, old man. Ridiculous. Preposterous. Badaboom usually has significant artifacting, even on the ipod. It is fast at the expense of quality. I’ve actually compared the results between it and Handbrake and the quality difference was very significant.

ok, let’s do this:
test clip

badaboom converted mp4 (1.5 sec):
http://simplifytemp.com/text/dolbyrain.avi
(please rename the extension on the above clip to mp4, the permissions on that site don’t allow access to mp4 files.)

It’ s all the same quality wise on the ipod? Poppy cock, old man. Ridiculous. Preposterous. Badaboom usually has significant artifacting, even on the ipod. It is fast at the expense of quality. I’ve actually compared the results between it and Handbrake and the quality difference was very significant.

screencap from iphone:

looks fine to me.

On my 2.4Ghz T8300:

ajlaptop.internal:~> time x264 --preset ultrafast video.y4m -o out.mkv
[...]
encoded 816 frames, 226.82 fps, 1667.67 kb/s
x264 --preset ultrafast video.y4m -o out.mkv  4.12s user 0.34s system 123% cpu 3.622 total

Resulted in a 5.5mb file. Click here.

Do you believe me now?

interesting, it’s not as slow as I remember. It used to process at 15-20fps.

Still, badaboom is much faster: 350fps.

BTW, I went for the highest quality setting in order to test performance. It’s why the file was 9mb. I usually use the lowest setting for my iphone, just tried it and the file was 2.2mb in size.

Those comparison numbers are meaningless without this context:

• What is your video card, and how much does it cost?
  • Encode a copy with badaboom at ~1.6mbit/sec and compare visual quality.

badaboom is worse for me quality-wise vs xvid4psp.

Q9400 and Gtx 260 core 216