The Playstation 4

I’m going to wait a bit, don’t want to run into these issues.

Doesn’t mention much about what’ll happen with PS3 & Vita games and trophies.

I’m tempted to change just to experiment. I still use my Vita and PS3 actively. I also have been playing around with PS Now lately, so I’d be curious how this impacts PS3 games there, as well.

Wow, I don’t like the sound of those issues.

I charged into the breach and changed mine. Most of my key PS4 games are on the “no issues” list so I feel reasonably comfortable doing so. However, I also use my PS3 and Vita on occasion, so we’ll see if I’ve made a huge mistake.

For me it’s a “no”. My daughter’s Just Dance 2017 is on the critical issues list. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but it’s probably not worth finding out.

Some key takeaways for me:

• AMD Ryzen Gen 3-based processor, and an AMD Navi GPU.
  • Ray tracing and 3D audio are in
  • VR is important, and the first gen PSVR headsets will work with this new console
  • Massive SSD is stock
  • Backwards compatible with PS4

That last point makes it likely I’ll be in on day one.

e: Nevermind, @DaveLong is a huge jerk and posted a thread. Commence discussion over there!

lol! I thought we should start a new thread for new hardware. :)

It’s basically an announcement since it has so much detail on what they’re doing.

I will try not to get too excited with this, probably fail.

We probably talked about this but surely BC is the wave of the future. Even the present. Everyone should be designing software that can be quickly and cheaply made to work on multiple platforms, new console generations included.

I think with the PC-ization of consoles in this generation, you can expect BC going forward until such time that things evolve away from PCs again for sheer power reasons.

Quick question: do I have to keep my TV on while I install a PS4 game from the disc? I ask because I picked up Spider-Man and started the installation and turned off the TV, but when I came back the PS4 was in rest mode and the installation had to be started all over. Huh?

No, but if you have HDMI-CEC enabled, turning off your TV may have automatically turned off the PS4. There may be an option on the TV or PS4 side that disables the “turn off” message from or to connecting devices.

EA Access on PS4 will be a separate subscription than the Xbone version and will likely have a smaller catalog due to the lack of backwards compatibility. To make up for it, the cost will be low stay the same ($5/mo, $30/yr).

That sucks that it’s a separate subscription. Definitely a better deal on Xbox because of backwards compatibility. I wonder if eventually they can fold in PS3 games on PS Now instead?

New State of Play show today:

Has a nice meaty look at the Monster Hunter World expansion, Medieval remake, announces a new exclusive Predator game from the Friday 13th game team, and a new look at the FFVII: Remake.

Has anyone else had problems with Blu Ray disc playback on the PS4 Pro? I got mine in late November and it started acting up with a certain disc* from Netflix, not just with the first one I tried but with the replacement too. The discs looked perfectly clean, too.

*Stardust (2007) with Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert de Niro, Claire Danes and the Daredevil himself, Charlie Cox.

I’ve never had that, but I know there can be very weird bluray compatibility problems on rare occasions with any given player.

Tell that console to get its act together. I love that movie!

I have to admit the current PS4 sale is pretty great.

Very tempted by:
Detroit: Become Human ($8)
God of War ($20)
Marvel’s Spider-Man ($20)
Uncharted 4 ($10)
Uncharted: Lost Legacy ($10)
Don’t Starve Megapack ($10)

Of course, there’s a deal or two that are throwing water over my enthusiasm. Last year I bought Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete for $20, thinking it was a great deal. But I haven’t gotten to it yet, and in this sale that game is $10. So if I buy only when I’m ready to play, most of these are likely to get cheaper. Maybe.

Ok, maybe not Detroit. $8 sounds near the bottom. Maybe it will be $5 one day at most.
Same with the Uncharted games. $10 is probably the bottom.

But I bet I can wait on God of War and Spider-man. I don’t have time to play them this year anyway.

My mantra is to only buy if I’m going to play it immediately, even if I don’t think it will ever get cheaper. It’s not like it’s ever going to get more expensive.

I almost never stick to this in practice.