The Playstation 4

Thanks, QT3 Hivemind. I was worried I’d need a DAC. LOL and I just sold my AudioEngine one in some KonMariing fit.

Recently installed the YouTube app, but I can’t get it to authenticate so I can get access to channels and such. It accepts the login credentials, but then hits a web page that times out or something (edit: “Sorry, something went wrong” accompanied by a picture of a monkey holding a hammer). Meanwhile, Google sends me an email asking for permission, which I accept, and that changes nothing. Anyone manage to successfully make it through this process?

No, but I’m going to try it out on Monday, so that I can get the U.S. Open. I can report back then. I was going to use it only on Xbox, but I’ll try it on PS4 as well.

Thanks, Rock8man, much appreciated. Googling the issue only pulled up a bunch of other similar complaints.

I’ve never heard of this problem before. Even if it’s a gift it still should be under warranty. Maybe you can send in the controller for repair. If you don’t want to wait then buy another and eventually have two.

Yeah, that’s not normal. We’ve gotten hours upon hours of usage out of many DS4s here and I’ve never seen that. I think it’s a defect.

Just be sure the stick is centered when you turn on the console as a check against that.

Yeah you just got unlucky. It is a widespread issue on the Switch though to the point Nintendo is replacing joycons basically no questions asked.

The only problems I had with the PS4 controller is either on L1 or R1. One of the shoulder buttons sometimes gets stuck, and I’ve had that problem since about late 2014 I think (I got the console at launch in 2013).

And of course, the rubber on the thumbsticks has deteriorated by now.

But thankfully no problems on the stick centering.

Couple items of note today:

Shawn Layden, head of Worldwide Studios is leaving the company. Dude is apparently 58! Whatever he’s doing is working; I’d have pegged him in his 40s.

Sony is bringing the PS Now pricing more in-line with other subscription services (Gamepass) andd adding a rotating set of Sony titles to the lineup.

From the perspective of anyone without a Playstation now being able to play their exclusives, $60/year is a great price. I don’t think rotating their first and second-party titles out after a fixed period is good though.

PS Now has come a long way since the initial rollout, but the marketing doesn’t seem to be there. For example, I always forget that you can download the PS2 and PS4 games to play native on a PS4 now since it started as an overpriced, stream-only service.

Thanks for the heads up on all this. I totally wouldn’t have caught this change. Brad pointed out a couple of months or so ago that PS Now now had PS4 game, and it worked similar to Game Pass for those games, not streaming, and I had no idea.

Now with these first party titles on there, this makes it a tough decision. I was eventually going to get to them when I had time, and they’d be really cheap by then. But now I can subscribe and get to them. Hmmm. Always good to have options.

I don’t know why but I can’t find a thread for the Spiderman game.

I like everything about the game so far except it’s got Ubi icons all over the map. I wish developers could include the cool features in the game without just throwing them on a map and telling the player to follow all the icons. I wish they would figure out a way for the player to find these things in a more natural manner and make finding these activities part of the fun. Other than that, well done so far!

Spider-man has a hyphen in his name. That’s why you need @ChristienMurawski pronouncing it “Spider Hyphen Man”.

The Spider Hyphen Man thread is here:

So PlayStation Now is game streaming only, correct? It doesn’t include the online multiplayer features of PS Plus?

From what Brad was saying, it’s more like Game Pass on PS4. So the PS3 stuff is streaming, but the PS4 and PS2 games install on your local PS4 and run, just like with Game Pass. No streaming involved.

But I don’t think it includes PS Plus, no. So for example, if Bloodborne is on PS Now (I don’t know if it is), you would still need PS Plus in order to see the messages left by other players.

As @Rock8man mentioned you can install PS2 and PS4 games, however you can play PS Now games online without a PS Plus subscription. Not sure if this is a new change, I haven’t used the service since beta.

Wow, that’s a hell of a deal, then.

Yeah, that is a pretty good deal. I own Bloodborne and that’s not as good as playing it through PS Now, apparently. I shouldn’t have bought it.

Thanks!

Is it normal that my wireless speed on my PS4 is significantly lower than the wireless speed on any other device in the same room?

My wireless speed is 150/150. Running speedtest on my iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc. gives me a consistent result of about 138-148 download speed. My PS4 tells me it’s getting about 32 down and 8 up.

PS4 can only operate at 2.4 GHz. It’s possible that there’s a lot of traffic on nearby 2.4 GHz WiFi channels, which is degrading your signal bandwidth.