The Playstation 4

I did the 1TB self upgrade of my PS4 pro and had some USB issues myself.

The front USB ports wouldn’t recognize my SanDisk “slide - out” thumb drives either.

The issues was that the ports are recessed so that many USB drives can’t make a connection.

I found one driver which could fit and connect, but it was only a 1 GB drive. Which worked for my saves but when I put the update file on it, it wouldn’t install

Turned out I needed the FULL firmware, which now requires a 1.1 GB thumb drive.

But I noticed the rear USB port when taking the hard drive out, and the SanDisk fit fine there.

So, try the rear USB port if you are having USB issues.

A short extension cord for USB might also do the trick?

Yeah, but using the rear one is faster than digging up/buying a cord, IMHO. YMMV.

Nice look at Iron Man PSVR:

Recently, Sony released a demo for Marvel’s Iron Man VR , a new PlayStation VR title that lives up to its namesake by putting you in the shiny metal boots of one Tony Stark. The results are not only impressive for a fully-fledged VR experience, but also because it lives up to the promise of putting you in the virtual boots of an actual superhero. In a full-sized adventure that will offer somewhere between eight to ten hours of cinematic propulsion when it launches in July.

I just kicked up this demo today, and yeah, it’s really slick. The control scheme is mostly solid, though it takes a bit of getting used to. The tracking for your hands and arms is very well done, and you pretty much use them just like he does in the movies. Ditto for the HUD. The only thing that is off is the voice for Stark and Pepper (and her model) bear no relation to RDJ/Paltrow. Which is understandable, but it makes everything a little off when so much is directly lifted.

There’s also a time trial race thing you can do, and I imagine there’s more of that in the full game, it extend its life a bit.

Oh, and this is not a game for sitting down while playing. First game that threw my balance off when turning and flying around. No motion sickness, but there were a few ‘which way am I facing IRL?’ moments.

Sounds like the VR controllers are necessary for it? Is that the case for most psvr games?

I’ve seen it by itself and with controllers.

PSVR plus controllers packages aren’t cheap. Prime day being delayed doesn’t help much either.

I just checked the store, and it does say Move controllers are required. And frankly, I don’t think I’d want to play otherwise. The arm tracking is a big part of what makes it feel like ‘Iron Man’ from the movies. Other than that it seems to be a pretty average shooter.

Different games are different- there’s no real standard. Some games certainly require Move controllers (like Iron Man, and any given rhythm action game). Some play fine with the standard PS4 controller, but offer ‘enhanced’ play with the Move bits- No Man’s Sky and Skyrim VR both fall into that category, and ditto for the ‘Aim’ gun controller (many FPS games utilize that, like Borderlands 2 VR). There are a few that don’t use the Move bits at all, but they’re probably somewhat rare- Rez Infinite is actually one of these, which is a little disappointing. All that said, the PS Store spells out explicitly for each game what’s required/enhanced/etc., so that’s nice.

You can get deals on this stuff. I picked up a full PSVR set (with 3 Move controllers, even) off FB Marketplace last fall for $150- the only reason I own it at all.

Thanks. I wonder about buying the package tho - with the PS5 just around the corner, it could be a waste for now… though any games released from July onward are supposed to be mandated compatible.

The Trinus VR to use it on PC seems a bit janky as well…

Oh, I absolutely agree, which is part of the reason I waited until I found a set that cheap (but at least around here, they come up regularly). Plus, I’ll admit, I find the lack of an analog stick on either of the Move controllers to be highly annoying and a terrible design flaw- the kludges the games have to use to get around that are crap. Word on the street is that’s getting fixed with the PS5 VR setup, but there’s nothing concrete. And I guess that’s the problem- there’s almost nothing concrete about the PS5VR that is out there. They’ve said there’ll be a new, better version… and that’s pretty much it. Not even a vague timeframe (and especially no games)- I really, really wouldn’t expect it at launch. Perhaps for the first anniversary of the console. That said, I think I saw somewhere (reddit? resetera?) that the existing PSVR will be usable on the PS5, but I can’t be arsed to go dig that up right now.

Interesting. So maybe it IS possible to get PSVR and play Half Life-Alyx?

I don’t think so, since Alyx needs tracked motion controllers.

it puts seated experiences that rely on gamepad input within your grasp.

I tried PSVR on PC via Trinus and janky is a great word to describe it. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Never got that to work after much trying.

Dark Eclipse (PSVR F2P) is shutting down next week on the 15th.

This will also include the single player modes.

PSVR Iron Man gameplay. Wallet Threat level extremely high, sir!

Do not watch the above video if you get motion sickness. It kicked in on me almost immediately.

Willpower gone. Pre-ordered the PSVR Iron man bundle for 7/3 curbside pick up. Best buy had it in stock, includes headset, controllers, camera and “deluxe” game (theme + 4 skins).

I am such a nerd.

$381 after tax for an 8-10 hour game.

The fear of motion sickness is what’s keeping me away from VR. I get motion sick very easily (can’t ride in the backseat of a car for instance).

I do nearly all of my PSVR gaming sitting down, and have never, ever felt the slightest bit motion sick.

The Iron Man demo is one that you absolutely cannot do that for, though- the way you have to hold and move your hands and arms (like he does in the movies) precludes that. You can physically turn to turn while flying, but there’s also a 90-degree snap feature that you have to use to make some of the turns in the course. The first time I did that- flying forward full speed and then snapping right- I nearly fell over, my equilibrium was so messed up. Still, no actual motion sickness, though.

I’ll probably pick this up in the next couple of weeks. It was pretty fun.

Not sure if it’s different for VR - but I used to get Motion sickness reading in a car after 2-3 minutes. I decided to try and see if i could train my body to ignore it over time. So over about 2 weeks of taking 20-30 minute uber rides too and from work I made a point of reading as much as I could to see if I could overcome it. Turns out I could and can now read all I want in the backseat of a moving vehicle (or at least could pre-COVID - I’ll bet there has been some regression)… Each day I could read a bit more (like 1-2 extra minutes) and I kept going until I felt decently nauseous but not overly nauseous. Of course ymmv