The Playstation 4

Well, it sounds like I might have called up safe mode from the description as I did have a controller plugged in to charge when I used the touch button to shut it off. I didn’t use the controller so that can’t be the problem.

Even so, the problem before and after that is that I have no video. The TV is not detecting a signal so outside of beeps and colored lights (Amber, blue, white), I have no idea what is going on with the PS4.

Hold the power button down for 10 seconds and see if it boots to save mode. Also do you have another TV you could plug it into?

Is the blue light pulsing?

I will try safe mode when I get home, but it is acting and sounding fine, I just get no video out. Some YouTube research suggests it’s a rather common HDMI port failure called White or Blue Light of Death. I should be able to confirm this by looking at the HDMI port when I get home and see if it wiggles or has bent/missing leads.

So for the future value of PS4 owners, I thought I’d post my findings.

The PS4 (early gens at least) have a huge problem with HDMI ports. The wire leads (the 16 or so prongs that line the top and bottom of the connector inside the port) on the back of the PS4 are easily bent or broken by just plugging in a cable. Also, some HDMI ports even break loose of the board as the soldered connection is weak. It is so common that lots of local shops offer same day repairs for $50 to $75.

PSA: if you have an early model, plug and unplug your PS4’s HDMI as few times as possible and avoid any directional pressure on the port.

That said, it doesn’t appear to be my PS4s issue. With experimentation it seems the pass through HDMI on the sound system is losing video feed from the PS4 when it snaps to different sound types (Dolby of a movie to non Dolby for dashboard UI as an example). More research is needed, but it appears to be the sound system at this point.

Damn. Now I’m going to be paranoid. I do plug and unplug the HDMI every time I take the PS4 over to my parents place so that my nieces and nephews have something to play when they’re over there for their sleepovers with the grandparents. This will have to stop! Or I’ll try not to unplug the HDMI cable and take it with me, instead of switching over to the cable I left at their house.

Here you go, three for five bucks. If you don’t want 90 degrees search for “hdmi port saver”, amazon has dozens of listings.

https://smile.amazon.com/Twisted-Veins-ACHRA3-Connectors-Adapters/dp/B00DDULUIA

This is probably a really good idea. These particular ones would turn the port toward the ground I think. So I would get 90 the other way or straight ones with my setup.

Yeah you probably want 270 degree or straight. Only get one for your five bucks though!

https://smile.amazon.com/Monoprice-8inch-28AWG-Speed-Female/dp/B004C4XR00

I’m sitting on the horns of a dilemma. Let me explain, no wait, there is too much. Let me sum up. All prices are in Canadian dollars, so just go with it.

I picked up a PS4 (Slim) yesterday since I also snagged a Playstation VR (PSVR). I had to act because they were offering the Uncharted 4 500GB PS4 for its usual price of $379 CAD but they were throwing in a copy of Overwatch: Origins Edition which usually retails for $79 and the deal ended yesterday. I fully intend to buy and play Overwatch on my console, so it seemed like a no brainer at the time. I’m less sure about Uncharted, since I never really got into the bundled Uncharted 3 that came with my PS3. I played it for about 30 minutes and figured I’d get back to it eventually. I never have. So, that’s that.

Except for the fact that the main thing I want to do with the PS4 right now is use it for PSVR. This might change after the novelty wears off. And I keep reading that the best PSVR experience will be on the PS4 Pro. Which will go on sale for $499 with no games on November 10th. But it remains unclear to me exactly what the Pro brings to VR over the regular slim, since developers haven’t really described their thinking on the matter to the public.

I haven’t opened the PSVR or PS4 bundles yet, as I am I currently dealing with some dizziness problems completely unrelated to using VR. I figured trying out VR for the first time when I’m already dizzy would be a fiasco. So there’s no massive urgency, although I’m sure things will be better well before November 10th.

What would you do in my shoes? Return the PS4 Slim with Uncharted and Overwatch, and spend $499 + $79 for a PS 4 Pro and Overwatch on November 10th? Or keep what I have and accept that I might not have the optimal VR experience? Important factors to note: I do not have a 4K TV or monitor. Only 1080p sets. The extra $200 is not super arduous, since this is all “frivolous purchase” money that I set aside. It’s not a deal breaker, but clearly it could be used for other games or a PS+ membership, or something like that…

Help break me out of my analysis paralysis! Please…

I would go with the return, and getting a PS4 Pro and Overwatch. That’s on the theoretical basis that PSVR will be better with the PS4 Pro, but I think that’s a pretty safe assumption. And since it’s the primary reason to buy the PS4 for you, I’d say go for the better experience.

Definitely return it. I wouldn’t buy a PS4 slim unless you can’t afford the Pro.

That’s two strong votes for return it. Thanks! Anyone else feel like weighing in?

I suppose returning it makes real sense, I can just stare at the PSVR box for a month, or rent a PS4 for a weekend to mess around with it. I just wish I knew more precisely what the PS4 Pro brings to the VR table. From what I’ve read, people have hypothesized that developers will use it to really get that 90fps to stick without relying on the frame skipping trickery, or possibly they might use it to bump up texture quality. Or both. Who knows? I also wonder how much I’ll really benefit from the Pro since I don’t have a 4K or HDR TV, and no real plans to get one in the immediate future, since my Wirecutter approved 1080p Vizio set is only a couple of years old.

Just be aware, that developers will need to add PS4Pro support to their PSVR games. This means now not only do they have to develop games for a much smaller install base with the PSVR, they also then need to decide to build two versions to support the PS4 and PS4Pro.

I personally don’t know how many developers will be up for doing a lot of work for such a segmented user base.

The Pro gets you future-proofing, likely smoother performance for current titles, and more than twice the storage space (since a big chunk of the 500gb hard drive will get eaten up with the OS and reserved storage for game clips, etc). If you aren’t interested in putting in a new hard drive (and I haven’t heard that either the slim or the pro are user upgradeable), the extra 100 for the pro seems like the better deal for a late-2016 buyer.

The Slim is apparently user upgradable: http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-hard-drive-1285428

Ignoring VR completely, the stock PS4 is not capable of playing most modern games at 1080p with smooth framerates. The PS4 pro will be.

It’s critically important for VR framerates to remain steady so the user doesn’t barf, so it’s not completely clear how VR titles will be improved. Like you said, they may remove the frame-skipping stuff or offer somewhat better quality. Or they may be essentially identical. Either way, they certainly won’t be worse.

Remember this is stusser talking, for whom nothing short of a locked 60fps is “smooth”.

And 60fps is wonderful! But it’s not essential. A locked 30fps is still good enough for most people, and most PS4 games still hit that.

I don’t want to stand in the way of progress, and I’m going to upgrade to a PS4 Pro as soon as I can, but the situation isn’t as dire as some of the PC fans around here make it sound.

EXCEPT… The one place where 60 fps IS significantly better is… VR. I’m not frame-rate sensitive and I can have a blast in a game running 30 fps on my PC or consoles. But when using my Rift, I do everything I can to maintain 90 fps, as it makes a huge difference in visual comfort.

Regarding Galadin’s comment about adding support for PS4Pro, actually you’ll benefit even if there’s no specific coding because of the potential faster frame rates. And any PSVR game should be able to take advantage of that extra GPU power, because devs have known about the Pro during their PSVR development cycle.

So yeah, I’ll join the crowd that says take it back and wait for the Pro if VR is your main reason for the console.

I keep seeing PSVR starter kits in stock (either Sony made a crapton of these, or people are waiting for the holidays), and I’ve been sorely tempted to try it out, but I don’t even have time to play all the Rift stuff I have right now. And the only compelling launch PSVR content I’ve seen so far that’s not also on the Rift is Batman, but that’s only one mission.

Oh yeah, I agree about VR and FPS. I was just responding specifically to stusser’s “ignoring VR…” comments.

The PS4 (and Xbone, which is even slower) can’t run many games at 1080p at only 30fps either. They are simply underpowered for 1080p, period. The PS4 Pro will not be-- it will be the first truly capable 1080p console.