The Playstation 4

Witch Doctor 2? LOL what does that stand for?

I bet it’s Watch Dogs 2.

Correct. It’s confirmed to have PS pro optimizations. I bought the digital CE and I’m opposed to pre orders :)

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/794267584124203008

Bound
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Driveclub VR
EA Sports FIFA 17
Firewatch
Helldivers
Hitman
Hustle Kings
Infamous First Light
Infamous Second Son
Knack
Mafia III
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
NBA 2K17
Paragon
PlayStation VR Worlds
Ratchet & Clank
Rez Infinite
Rigs Mechanized Combat League
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Robinson: The Journey
Smite
Super Stardust Ultra
The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
The Last of Us Remastered
The Last of Us: Left Behind
The Playroom VR
Titanfall 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Viking Squad
World of Tanks
XCOM 2

In addition to the titles listed above, more than 45 games will be optimized for PS4 Pro by the end of the year, including Watch Dogs 2, Killing Floor 2, The Last Guardian, and Final Fantasy XV — with the likes of Nioh, Resident Evil 7 biohazard, and For Honor to follow in early 2017.

Unless I change my mind, I have a PS4 Pro arriving on Thursday the 10th. I have to this point skipped the current generation machines (and, FWIW, won’t be upgrading my TV to something that justifies the ‘Pro’ until around the end of the year).

My personal preference on consoles is for sports games (largely console only) and RPG or action-RPG games. My PC is ancient, but scheduled to be replaced with something nice shiny and powerful in late January.

So, oh hive mind of Qt3… What should I pick as the first two games for the arriving console? Alternatively, should I just punt since the 360 gathers dust, and the PC is being upgraded in a few months.

I would recommend The Last of Us Remastered. It starts off a little hard and frustrating, but if you can get past the difficulty hump near the beginning, it’s completely worth it.

If you liked the Tomb Raider reboot, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a good one too.

Infamous: Second Son is a good game too.

But if I had to pick just one game for the PS4, it would be The Last of Us Remastered. I can’t say enough good things about it.

I am now pondering Dishonored 2, since it basically comes out on the same day.

It’s a shame neither Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne are getting Pro patches, but I’d consider them both unmissable action RPGs for the PS4. I think Uncharted 4 is also peerless as an action adventure game. Maybe pick up the Uncharted collection first if you haven’t played them before, though.

Dishonored 2 looks like it should be a solid pick. Mankind Divided if you liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution as well. XCOM 2 is supposed to be great on consoles as well.

Dark Souls III you can save for that PC but I do recommend Bloodborne despite no Pro upgrade.

Uncharted 4 is excellent exclusive action for the system and if you haven’t played them, get the Uncharted Collection for the first three.

For sports, FIFA and NBA2K are your picks.

Don’t forget MLB The Show! They haven’t got complacent from a lack of competition and I will safely claim it’d be the best baseball sim regardless of what else was on the market.

I guess I’ll hold off buying a Pro until I find out if Nioh is all that great. At least I can play it even if it doesn’t look as good.

Pretty disappointed with that list. I was really hoping for PS4 Pro versions of Bloodborne, GTAV, Fallout 4, and Far Cry Primal. Things like Dragon Age Inquisition and Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3 would also be nice, although I wasn’t counting on those as much as the others.

I thought I’d love The Last of Us Remastered on the PS4 (because I heard such good things about the story) and was really into it until I got stuck inside a table while attempting my first quick shoot 'em dead (for the third time) and had to exit. I sort of got side-tracked after that and never went back to the game.

Bloodborne, though it doesn’t leverage the Pro’s power, it’s still an amazing game.

Go back…Go back!

Does anyone know if places like Gamestop will be doing any sort of trade-in promo on PS4’s for the Pro version? I bought my PS4 at launch and I don’t really think the PS Pro is a necessary upgrade but I might be talked into it if I’d get half-price or something for my current PS4.

There are trade in deals for the PS4 to PS4 Pro upgrade at Gamestop.

If I could pull the 2TB hard drive out of my PS4 and plug it into a Pro, I might think about it. But given their extreme paranoia about piracy (and the resulting constant system updates on the PSP, PS3, Vita, and PS4) I don’t think Sony will ever be that user-friendly.

You can, but you would need to back up your data to a USB drive because the hard drives have to be formatted when installed into a different system. The back up utility on PS4 will move everything, though, including P.T…

If you didn’t play it in the PS2 era - and maybe even if you did, it’s a pretty significant update - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is a very good one to check out, more to the A-RPG side. Very Japanese, of course. Believe Tom discussed it on a podcast a while back if you want some in-depth conversation on it. I’d recommend Bloodborne as well, though several others hit that one first. Everything else that’s really good in those genres is also out on PC, though there are some decent super-niche J-RPGs if you want to head that way.