The Playstation 4

Lots of nostalgia over at PSX today. Wipeout, Crash, Parappa collections/remakes all announced.

Also standalone Chloe Uncharted 4 DLC.

Windjammers and Ys Origin as well.

Any more detailed news on the collections/remakes? There’s a big difference between a remake and a collection of older games that can run on the PS4.

Crash is a full graphics overhaul.

Wipeout and Parappa looked less so, though Wipeout looked good.

Also, a general observation that conference today was better than their E3.

Last guardian supposedly comes out in a few days? Is anyone brave enough to chance it?

I’ll be waiting for reviews myself.

I didn’t know there was a PSX event today, way to bury the lead talking about remakes when there was a ton of (actual) cool stuff revealed. Including Last of Us 2!

Here is a list of news and a video of all trailers.

EDIT - watching this trailer I’ll put my thoughts on the game reveals here.

Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite looks great - I’ve not been into fighting games for some time, but man, this might be the one I dive back into.

Last of Us 2 needs no comment. Day 1.

Knaak 2 - I don’t know anything about Knaak?

I’m suddenly glad I owned Uncharted 4 via digital download or I’d have sold it. Now I have a reason to dive back in with the DLC.

Ni No Kuni 2 is one I’m really excited for, glad it’s confirmed 2017. I need to watch the trailer yet though.

Sounds like this event is going through tomorrow, and more news and announcements are expected!

It’s a standalone expansion. You don’t need Uncharted 4.

That’s good, because just after I hit Reply I remembered I wanted the digital version for faster load times, but the Uncharted edition of my PS4 came with the disc. So, whew.

I’m a tad apprehensive about there being a sequel to Last of Us. It was such a perfect ending. In another thread we were recently discussing Final Fantasy X, which also had a perfect ending until they kept messing with it and had a different less perfect idiotic ending in the International Edition, and then a full sequel in FF X-2 which really did mess with that perfect ending. But that’s still okay, the original FF X ending is still the one I think of when I think of the game. So no matter what they do with Last of Us - Part II, I’ll still have that from the original.

It . . . did not look like much of a “game” to me.

Definitely not springing at full price.

I feel like starting The Last of Us so far into the future from the end point of the previous game helps preserve that story as it’s own thing while still giving us a new one. The developers specifically are quotes as “trust us” with regards to your very specific concern, and I do wholeheartedly.

I hated the ending of the last of us.

Really? I freely admit I haven’t played The Last of Us but I did watch a Let’s Play, and I thought the ending was pretty great.

Reminder to everyone before someone slips up: please don’t spoil it in this thread if you guys want to keep discussing it!

I know the likelihood of it being spoiled just jumped up considerably with the sequel announcement, but I still plan to try to play the original soon!

Do it. I know in the other thread Tom poo-poo’d the gameplay, but I found the hunting/sneaking/crafting style gameplay and the combat itself to be rather enjoyable; tense but satisfying, even a little tactical. The puzzles aren’t annoying and the entire thing comes together really well. Between all that and the story telling/world-building I can’t recommend it enough. In fact, I may have to pick up a copy some time to play it again (counting the non-remastered release, it would be my third play through).

I bought the remastered version months ago—or maybe it was a PS+ title? I don’t remember. But I’ve had it in my library and I planned to play it after I finished the Uncharted remastered collection. Trying to play the first three Uncharteds back-to-back-to-back burnt me out though so I didn’t finish the third.

I should forget that and start on TLOU ASAP.

Yeah, I found the gameplay to be an amazing mix that perfectly complemented the themes of the game. Even having to float Ellie on pallets totally pays off.

Actually the gameplay looks like the least interesting aspect - all very Gears of War, chest-high cover everywhere, endlessly repeated kind of stuff. I found myself fast-forwarding through a lot of the setpiece combat scenes and was grateful for the privilege - had I played, I think I would have ended up bumping down the difficulty to power through.

The game plays way different from Gears. Ammo is scarce. You have to scavenge and craft constantly. Stealth is imperative, but when it breaks down it becomes all about improvisation. The levels are far larger and enemies are far deadlier. Even the cover is adaptive and not engaged with a button. It shares very little with Gears other than a camera perspective. It’s more comparable to something like Far Cry 2.