The Playstation 4

Like I mentioned, I only watched it and didn’t play. It may be far more interesting to actually do the combat than to watch. But for my money, the story and the characters were the big draw for the first one. I’m hoping another Let’s Play is up for the sequel shortly after release so I can at least enjoy that much.

Windjammers!!

I think you’ll dig the gameplay too @divedivedive. I know it didn’t work for Tom, but I thought it was freaking brilliant. I hardly ever agree with @Brad_Grenz on any game, but this time I agree 100%. The improvisation did remind me a little of Far Cry 2 in a good way. The combination of scrounging for resources and ammo, and the wildly erratic difficulty really made the tension ratchet up to the nth degree sometimes. I just found the game absolutely brilliant in all aspects.

And in the Left Behind DLC, they even added a bit more to the gameplay mix. Think the new Tomb Raider, with a little bit of an wider world, with enemies and puzzles scattered about, and you handle that with the Last of Us improvisational resources. It’s a really good portent for the sequel I think.

Play the game on the easiest level if you have any doubts about the gameplay. Still delivers an amazing experience.

I don’t see myself getting a PlayStation but this and its sequel are definitely on the short list of titles to make me regret the decision even a little bit.

There are free themes for doing some quick activities at http://live.playstation.com. Most of them are lacking but the Windjammers theme is worth the 5 minutes. Custom system icons, menu sounds, and a light ocean as backing music.

Got my 4K TV and while I’m not really blown away by the 4K/HDR in the games I’ve looked at so far, it really makes me wish that CDPR would update The Witcher 3 for HDR on PS4Pro or Xbox One S. Imagine that game in HDR… I’d buy the PS4 version even though I already own it on Xbox and PC!

How is the PS4 Pro / XBOX S HDR different from what we’ve seen on PC since The Lost Coast?

Not being snarky, honestly curious how it’s different?

Good question. RPS has this:

I’m going to read it now.

T[quote=“Scott_Lufkin, post:3151, topic:72747”]
How is the PS4 Pro / XBOX S HDR different from what we’ve seen on PC since The Lost Coast?
[/quote]
The TVs are 10-bit color and tend to have actual brightness features to support HDR (such as the ability to adjust backlighting in certain areas of the screen). It’s hard to really describe the difference vs. seeing it in-person. Basically, you have 4x the available colors (RGB values of 0-1024 vs. 0-255), which really helps gradients, and the ability to have really bright and really dark areas still maintain detail and color differentiation. In Gears 4, night-time in the moonlight offers a lot more detail, and in Infamous: Second Light, the power effects just feel more vibrant.

It’s not something I’d upgrade a system just to get (although I did, but I have a problem), but it’s definitely an appreciable difference once you have it.

My wife surprised me with a PS4 under the tree! I figured I’d be sitting out this console generation but not so! I’ve picked up a year of PSN and so far we have Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and Destiny. I’ve also downloaded Let It Die and the two PSN games for this month. So far I’m really enjoying it. If anyone wants another PSN friend, I’m shellfishguy there also.

I got one as well. Looking to just keep my Alienware Alpha as the media server for the house and move all game playing out of my home office.

Got the Uncharted bundle version. Picked up the combo pack with the first 3 Uncharteds, Dishonored 2, Tomb Raider, and FC4

I added you. Brammyh

Holy patch sizes. 16gb for Uncharted 2?

Welcome to next-gen gaming. Hope you didn’t want to play that new game of yours today.

Do 4K tv’s make all your graphics tinier like what happens on your computer monitor when you increase resolution? I can barely see 1080P stuff on my tv right now. Can’t imagine how hard it would be with 4K if it shrank the models and text for everything by 50%.

No, developers should be scaling their UI. They’ve been pretty bad about that in the past on the PC, you’re right about that. But as they’ve been going up in resolution on consoles, they’ve done a good job of scaling the UI so that you don’t have to look at tiny text or HUD elements. I’m sure it will be the same with 4K.

One thing that confuses me is the distance vs. size of your TV chart changes if you are talking 1080p vs 4k.

For example, at 6’ viewing distance, you want a 40-43" or so TV (1080p) but if it’s a 4K TV, you want a 60-65" TV. The problem of course, is you won’t be always be watching 4K, so do find yourself wishing your screen wasn’t so big watching 1080p content, or do you wish your screen were larger when you are watching 4K content? Kind of an awkward transition.

Those charts are largely nonsense anyway. I mean, if 42 inches was optimal for 1080p mathematically you’d want exactly 4 times the screen area for 4 times the resolution but it isn’t recommending you an 84 inch screen. Get the size of TV you want for your room and viewing situation irrespective of what is supposedly the optimal resolution.

Maybe. But I have seen TV’s too large for the room they are in, and it’s less fun to sit counting pixels when you are trying to enjoy a film than you’d think.