The Playstation 4

Is there any sort of collection of our IDs? I’m BrammyH if anyone wants to add me.

I finally decided to sell the PS3 that I bought in January 2015. I haven’t touched it in a while and it service its purpose. I mainly wanted The Last of US, but I also played a handful of other games on it - like MLB The Show. I’m glad I finally got to see what that series was like. I’m taking the easy route and just doing the Amazon trade in value so I don’t need to do Craigslist.

I can now justify starting to think about wanting to get a PS4 or Nintendo Switch, but it will probably still be a bit so I can wait for more price drops since I don’t play consoles much. I really want to play Horizon Zero Dawn and whatever the next Last of Us will be on the PS4. Maybe some more MLB The Show.

On the Switch, I really only want the new Zelda game - so I don’t know if it makes sense for me to consider that one or not.

I sent my Switch back. You need to be pretty honest with yourself when you look at the games for the PS4 and the Switch about what you actually want to play. Zelda is not even that great - i mean it IS great for what it’s trying to do, and it does a lot of cool stuff… but you’re going to spend almost $400 to play it, and there are a lot of other games doing cool stuff.

It doesn’t sound like you really need a console right now tbh.

i just filled up the 2tb drive i swapped into mine with ps plus games.

This is very true. I don’t think I’ll get one very soon - it’s just that I can start to consider it now that I’m ditching the PS3. Between some birthday $ I got earlier in the month and my PS3 credit, I have $230 towards something that I’d want. I may see how the deals go at Christmas time - or wait longer.

Yeah, my 2TB is full and I’ve plugged in the original 500GB as an external for spillover.

Is there any download service like Dropbox that connects to the PS4? I have (don’t laugh) like 30 Gig of screenshots and videos I’ve taken. I figure sometime while I’m in the hospital it will be fun to go through them on my iPad.

Can you view them on the Playstation app for iOS/Android?

I don’t know about an online transfer method, but if you have a USB drive you can export from the capture gallery to USB, transfer to your PC and then get it in your iPad with Dropbox, Google Photos or the like.

So, I’ve mostly skipped this console generation, and I never had a PS3. Most of what I’ve wanted to play, I’ve been able to play on my PC. I now have a 4k HDR TV and a hankering to plug some games into it. I also have 10- & 7-year-old children who are starting to get into games.

Are there enough games on the PS 4 that aren’t on PC to make this a good idea, or should I double down on the steam link? I haven’t been paying a lot of attention, so my mental list of Playstation games that aren’t on PC is basically Ratchet & Clank + Horizon Zero Dawn + Uncharted.

What does the backwards compatibility and remaster situation look like? I missed all PS3 games that weren’t on something else, and I’ve heard good things about the Naughty Dog games. Anything else I missed that I could catch up on?

There is no backwards compatibility, some some of the last generation ps3 games like Dark Souls 2, GTA V and Last of Us got remastered versions of the PS4. Last of Us is definitely worthwhile and may be Naughty Dog’s best game. Presume you’ve played the other 2 on PC if you were interested in them.

PS4 has a few more good non-PC exclusives apart from those you mention: The Last of Us remaster, Nioh, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Yakuza, Gravity Rush 2, Danganrompa series, Zero Escape, Disgaea 5 (also on Switch), Injustice 2, Odin Sphere. It will also be getting Last Guardian, new God of War, Until Dawn, Dragon Quest XI, Demon Gaze 2, Last of Us 2 (I imagine), Death Stranding and likely more.

Bloodborne, Nioh, MLB The Show, Persona 5, Uncharted HD remakes, Until Dawn and Odin Sphere: Leifthrasr (Odin Sphere remake) depending on your genre preferences. Not catch up but Everybody’s Golf (formerly Hot Shots Golf) is out next week and Gran Turismo Sport is coming October 17th – which reminds me there’s a Wipeout Collection that came out recently as well.

e: I really like the Gematsu exclusives list because you can filter on half a dozen definitions of “exclusive” to see if any other titles jump out at you.

PS4 exclusives that you may care about enough to be a console-seller:

Playstation VR in general (actually, pretty good)
FF7 remake
God of War
The Last of Us
Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank
Shadow of the Colosus
Bloodborne
Final Fantasy 14: ARR (also on PC, but a big one)
Infamous
Nioh
Horizon: Zero Dawn

And Xbone exclusives that really matter:

Halo
Crackdown
Forza
Path of Exile (console exclusive only, but this could be a big one)
Dead Rising
Gears of War (some also on PC)

A bunch of those are on PC…

Yeah you’re probably thinking of Nioh.

Yeah there’s some overlap. I cleaned it up a bit, this was all off the top of my head.

There really aren’t that many huge impactful exclusives these days. Naughty Dog is the big hitter.

A game doesn’t have to be ‘huge and impactful’ to be worthwhile. The PS4 has a heap of good stuff that makes it worth owning alongside a PC.

Of course it does. But there are two major factors selling consoles.

1. Heavy hitting exclusives. I bought the Xbox for KOTOR and the 360 for Mass Effect. Neither was available on PC. No exclusives I really care about since then so I haven’t purchased another console since.

2. Your friends. If all your friends play on one service or the other, that’s the one you pick.

Well the question was: