The Playstation 4

If you stick around on v4.55 firmware or buy a old bundle PS4 that might be that version, you could at some point in the future be able to install custom software onto it, like a media center, region free bluray, console emulators, game cheats etc. But it might take a while or never appear at all depending on what people manage to develop.

Downside is that you cant use it for online gaming anymore.

Aren’t all Blu-rays basically region free? I guess Japan and North America are the same region now so that means region free for me.

At the launch of Bluray, when there was competition with HD-DVD, a lot of BR’s were region free. Once HD-DVD lost the battle (Thanks Microsoft!) we started to see more and more region encoded Blurays, unfortunately.

When I bought my PS3 from the US there was no problem buying BR’s locally, until it wasn’t possible anymore.

Posted in the Bargain Thread, but I suppose people might not look there… PS4 controllers are $36.99 on Monoprice.com today. Gold or blue in the Daily Deal.

Ha, I guess nobody likes the gold or blue ones, eh?

All sold out now though.

I was able to get in and order a blue one earlier, but Monoprice is apparently garbage and doesn’t recognize that the street address I plugged in is correct, even though it accepted it as the billing address, so I had to have it shipped to my parents. Still worth it for a $37 DS4 with free shipping, though!

Its black!

They had red ones too. Those were sold out by the time I posted. My kids needed new ones so this was a great deal.

71%

Let the furious PS5 speculation begin!

This sounds more like they’re going to discontinue the vanilla PS4.

No, they won’t be doing that.

My only requirement is that the next PS console give us true 4K at 60fps, consistently across the board on all new games. Not sure if that will be possible in 2020 at a $300 price point.

Don’t these consoles usually open at about $600-$700, and that was years ago?

It’ll likely launch at $500, and it seems completely plausible to offer real 4k at 60fps at that pricepoint in late 2020. Hell, the XboneX is a bit under halfway there today.

Well that’s another thing, I just got my XbonX maybe six months ago on release, not sure I’m ready for a generation jump. But then nobody asked me.

Edit: oh wait, I need to pay more attention to what thread I’m in

Same boat. I got my slim for 199.99 around Christmas. I didn’t even want to shell out twice as much for a Pro. I am enjoying it so far though.

Never happen, as that’s sort of a policy thing, not just a hardware thing. You could look at current games and extrapolate out what—for example—an Uncharted 5 would look like and what it would do, and make your target for the hardware something that can accomplish that at 4k 60fps, and maybe that’s what you’re saying. Set that as a goal, sure. But I don’t think you can realistically make that demand or promise of games once the hardware is real. Different games, different developers, and different players will all have different priorities for performance and features.

You can’t make hardware so powerful that someone couldn’t think of a way to tax it, and you can’t make policy requirements that strict on your developers to publish on your platform without seriously crippling their output. Even requiring 30fps at 4k is probably unrealistic. Especially if they’re still developing for several platforms where total parity isn’t possible.

Edit: to emphasize, 4k 60fps should be possible on a good looking game, but I’m pushing back against the idea that this could be “[consistent] across the board on all new games”.