The Playstation 4

So it’s the one I posted above, or is it this one…?

If it’s the one I posted first, that’s not the super valuable one.

Ah, it’s the first one. Still, a gift is a gift, lol

That’s still a cool PS4. No doubt. There’s a lot of great stuff you can only play on that system so you’ll have fun with any of our recommendations above. :)

Actually, if you want to buy Digital, they have a great sale going on right now…

I just stumbled into that myself. :)

A lot of people like Until Dawn which is a good scary October game. If you get a PS Plus subscription (allowing for online play), you will get even bigger discounts on the PlayStation Store. Don’t buy until you do that if it’s in your plans. You get free games every month if you subscribe.

OMG… and you really should buy Flower.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection which is the first three games is $7.99 and Uncharted 4 is $10.

Okay, those are some ridiculously good deals, lol

edit - is the year subscription to the online platform worth it for someone like me?

I think for your first year of ownership? Yes. You will get some games to play every month and you won’t have to worry about online play if you run across a game that has it that grabs you. Uncharted 4 for example has some really entertaining online competitive gameplay IMO that just about anyone can enjoy once they’ve played through the single player story.

The big win for new owners is you’ll always have something new to try. Some months are better than others of course, but as long as you sub, you can play the games. After the first year you’ll know whether it’s worth keeping for you specifically or not. That first year is when you’ll probably use it and play on the system the most, so I think it’s good to do it right away.

Much of what’s been recommended, aside from being exclusive, are the types of games that make Sony’s system stand apart from the others. They kind of do the third-person “realistic” action thing the best of the three console makers. They also have superb quirky things like Flower, RESOGUN, Flow, and Journey. They’re artistic games that have indie sensibility with high production value.

Both Disgaea 1 (Complete edition - released just yesterday) and 5 are available for the PS4.

Both are available on PC though, which is part of his original post. That’s why I never mentioned Valkyria Chronicles or VC4 among many others. The PC gets much of the Japanese publisher output now. Persona 5 is the obvious outlier atm.

Sure! Even if you don’t play online, the PS+ games have been very good lately. And if that leak a while back is correct, Yakuza Kiwami will be available next month.

Flower is definitely an experience. I don’t know if it’s for everyone, but I liked it.

I’m not a heavy console player but I picked up PS+ for MP and also I’ve got a whole bunch of games waiting for me to play due to having it too, good ones even, like some of their best. God of War 3 I think was the last one I remember picking up tehre…

Ignore all the other suggestions until after you’ve played Spider-Man.

PS+ is definitely worthwhile for the “free”-ish (free while you subscribe) games. This month’s selection is pretty poor, but usually they have enough good titles over the course of a year to make the sub worthwhile.

I don’t think PS+ is worth it for the games, it’s there just need to make the multiplayer tax sting less. I played literally nothing from a year of + that just ended. There were a handful of games that might have gotten play if I had infinite time.

It costs one full price game, so if you’d play even one of them it’s worth it.I’m certainly playing fewer than I used to, but at least every other month there’s something I’m into.

Once you have many years of PS+ under your belt, the sheer volume of games it adds to your library is quite nice. I can go back and play Demon’s Souls on my PS3 for example without pulling out a disc, That’s handy.

I don’t have a working PS3 anymore, and never did during my two years with PS+. That said, during the two years that I had PS+, I played 3 games that made the whole thing worth it.

1. Don’t Starve
  2. Resogun
  3. Galak-Z

The only one of those 3 that I would have looked at without PS+ was Resogun. I never would have thought Galak-Z would be one of the best space games of all time, or that Don’t Starve would be a game I’d enjoy so much.

My only problem with PS+ is that there was a whole lot of wasted time for me trying all the other games that turned out to be crap during those two years, and at the end of the two years, I didn’t own the three games that I loved from that time period, so I ended up having to spend more money to buy them. So I spent the $40 + $50 for two years of PS+, and then had to buy the games I liked anyway so that I could keep playing them.

On the whole, that $90 was still well spent because of Galak-Z though.

I guess I should check out Galak-Z, because the other two games you mention are the only ones I’ve really played from PS+ (platinuming Resogun - loved that game for the month I played it - rebirthed my old timer Defender skills).

PS Plus members get extra discounts in most sales as well. I’ve probably come out ahead just on additional savings versus normal sale price in most years without even considering the hundreds of games I have on PS4, PS3 and Vita in my PS+ library.

Yeah, those extra discounts are usually no joke, either. You can often save an additional 25% or more during sales for people without Plus.

The thing that makes me mad about this is… they probably wouldn’t have to force MP behind a paywall. The games, the added discounts, and just getting people to explore to find out how good those things are. I mean Xcom 2, God of War 3, these are not lower tier/cheap games. I’d probably sub just for access to games I wouldn’t normally try on my own and the discounts. The fact that it’s tied to MP just makes me angry.

I’ve actually been pretty happy with the PSN sales for us pleebs (non PS+ members) lately. I bought the Uncharted collection for $8, and it was the same price for PS+ members. I bought Ratchet & Clank for $10, and it was maybe a dollar cheaper for PS+ members. Usually most sales I would have saved a dollar more for each game by being a PS+ member, and I’m okay with not saving that dollar.

@Dan_Theman Flash sale this weekend includes Persona 5 for $25. If you’re looking for a long JRPG on the PS4, you can’t do better than Persona 5.