The Playstation 4

My Pro (got it last year, but I don’t know the model) only revs up with HDR titles (Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-Man, in my case) and VR. It’s annoying, but it’s more disconcerting because it makes it sound like the damn thing is about to explode. Kind of leeches some of the fun from the experience.

A nice pair of headphones helps a lot. So does cranking the sound system, but that makes you less popular with those around you. :)

Speaking of headphones, do only wireless ones work? I ask because yesterday on a whim I tried connecting some earbuds to the controller via the 3.5 mm connection and the sound kept coming out of the sound bar + subwoofer I’ve got hooked up to my TV (via optical cable). The PS4’s HDMI output goes into the same system, if it makes a difference. The strange thing is that the mic did seem to be recognized.

Wired headphones plugged into the controller definitely work. I just think you need to change a setting, by default it only gets the audio for voice chat.

Weird, because I tried all three settings at the system level, then the headphones setting in RDR2 (so far my only PS4 game). I can’t say I tried all possible permutations thereof, though.

What about full-blown headphones with a mic? I was thinking about combining audio and mic connections with a Y adapter and connecting that to my new PS4 Pro. Eventually I’ll want to converse with someone online, but I’d rather not be tied to the Sony ecosystem if I don’t have to.

So just to check, the setting you’ve tried changing is Settings > Devices > Audio Devices > Output to Headphones?

Yes. Note that the controller uses the CTIA pinout for the 3.5mm jack. So if the other devices you’re planning to connect to are OMTP or dual-TRS, you’d need to do more than just a Y split.

Hmm, I didn’t try anything under a “Devices” submenu. What I found was under something like “Display and audio” which I figured would be the place. I’ll check your path at lunchtime, thanks.

Yup, it worked that way, yay!

I was using Turtle Beach Elite 800 wireless headphones with my PS4, but I started using some Astro A40 TR wired with the included Mixamp Pro TR and REALLY love them. Got a LONG wire, lol, but they never run out of battery power, for me the headset is more comfortable, the Mixamp has nice features and controls at my fingertip, just love 'em.

And they absolutely work well with the PS4.

FYI, Gamestop is selling PS4 1T B w/ Spider-Man (same as Black Friday deal) already.

Got a question for the Qt3 hivemind. My son is an avid gamer. So avid that we have to password lock everything to keep him from sneaking gametime. Is there a way to set up an account for him on the ps4 that requires a passcode? I have my account set up that way, but when I try to add a second account, it seems to bypass all of the security. I’ve tried the parental controls but still haven’t figured out a way to prevent accessing the ps4 as soon as that second account gets added.

Is the second account set up as a child account?

Once that is done:

How does Play Time management work?

Setting Play Time is based on three simple settings:

Set Play Time Restrictions: ‘Restrict’ or ‘Do Not Restrict’.
Allocate Play Times: ‘Time Duration’, ‘Playable Hours’ and ‘End Time’ for every day or specific days of the week.
Set an action for when Play Time ends: ‘Notify Family Manager’ or ‘Log Out’ child account.

Yeah, I saw those, but we don’t have a regular playing time due to my work schedule. I’m looking for a way for him to have his own account, save games, etc, but require me to log him in when he gets to play. I have it set up for my accoun t on the ps4, and for the switch and for our pcs of course, but the ps4 has eluded me so far.

In that case I think you can add a password and require it at login. You’d have to do it from that account, though, not managed from your account.

It says “time duration”

I still need to figure out how to let my daughter play digital games from my account on a second PS4 upstairs without using my main login. I know it involves some BS about setting that as my main PS4 but it seems ridiculously convoluted.

I’m not sure how that helps.

Because you can presumably set a length of play without being restricted to specific hours? Or do you never want him to access it without explicit permission? At any rate, by your description earlier, that the new account was bypassing the restrictions you had set up, it sounds like it wasn’t set up as a child account.

This is “game sharing”. Activate the secondary (upstairs) PS4 as your home console. That’s it.

PS4’s controls are per-account so you’ll need to set everything the way you want it on his account. As stated previously, make sure his account is a child account of yours.

I set it as the home console, then any purchases I make on my main account on the downstairs (secondary) PS4 are playable upstairs as well on her non-PS+ account? I could never find a straight answer when trying to google & gave up. Thanks!