The Playstation 4

Yeah, if the PS5 could play all previous playstation games I owned from each generation, not just PS4? Yeah, Day One here as well. That would be amazing.

Isn’t the true barrier to backward compatibility not just the tech stuff, but the licensing of all those game IPs?

Could be. But since backward compatibility has been such a known issue/thing for so long, perhaps Sony or whomever finally got intelligent and just incorporated a license permitting use for future systems into their agreements.

And it’s not like they can’t -e-release the game, some sparkly version. How many versions of Skyrim are there now?

As far as I’ve ever read or heard, it’s purely the tech stuff. The only time IP gets dragged in is if they want to do digital rereleases or do something like Microsoft’s BC setup on Xbox One, which involves downloading digital copies of the games in question because of how everything on XB1 is set up.

Yeah, ironically allowing universal backwards compatibility is legally easier with physical games because you sidestep the distribution problem. Hopefully the contracts around PSN releases for PS4 were smart enough to anticipate PS5 backwards compatibility for digital titles.

I thought they didn’t want to do backward compatibility because they or the creators were terrified you’d buy say a PS5 and then just buy PS4 games at cheaper prices instead of the fresh new games they wanted to sell.

No, I’ve never heard that. But most of the “PS5 won’t have BC” theories out there tend to be the wishful thinking of Xbox fans so maybe it’s floating around. One of the primary

So the PS5 should be powerful enough that they can finally emulate the Cell processor.

As for PS4 games there should be no issue. Every PS4 game(same for “scarlett” and Xbox One) should be playable day one. These are both gonna be just gonna be another X86 based AMD system.

But we can leave that particular console war bullshit at the door though, can’t we? Because this particular Xbox fan would think there’s nothing better that Sony could do next gen than to implement full and complete (within reason) backward compatibility. This would check three boxes for me - one, I could play all the PS1 and 2 games I have held onto - yes, I could do that now with my PS2 slim, but then again I could ditch that old console, which would make my wife happy. Second, I could catch up on some cool (so I hear, anyway) PS3 and 4 games I never played. And last, any new console exclusives would be available to me.

Personally, no single one of those points is persuasive enough for me to pony up cash for a PS5. But all three? Hell yes man. Sign me up.

Is this the case? I would be interested in seeing someone’s analysis, because my first intuition doubts it.

Found a “The numbers are in: your 2018 gaming stats” in my email.

Also came with a code for three dynamic themes.

I haven’t owned a PS4 long enough for interesting stats, but I liked that it mentioned how much we’ve used our PSVR & PS+ subs.

Until we find out it has no physical drive, sure.

Without a drive it seems pretty silly to claim backward compatibility unless they meant just digital purchases which means what 3 and 4 only?

No idea, I was just pulling dive’s chain.

But it would fit in with how they’ve been doing things, adding stuff like trophies and then selling it back to you. I could see it happening. I wouldn’t want one though.

I always assumed “backwards compatibility” meant compatible with the physical disc.

Not that it means much anymore. So many games from the PS3 era onwards need patches even with the physical disc for bug fixes, DLC and so on. Then there’s game with always online checks, games that are mostly multiplayer anyway, etc.

I’ve got so many digital PS1 and PS2 games from various sales that even digital BC would be great. But yes, physical as well please.

New PS4 Pro owner question. Can I access drives on my local network? Tried two different thumb drives and both are visible, but copying media over errors out. I have a WD My Book attached to a PC (preferred) and a WD My Cloud on the LAN. I just want to extract screenshots and video. (Uploading to services works fine, but that’s not ideal.)

I will totally buy a PS5 day one if it is BC!

I got the Xbox One because I had chosen the 360 in the previous generation and so it just felt like the natural thing would be to get its successor. But if wasn’t for the amazing job with BC that MS has done, I would be regretting my choice due to all the wonderful PS4 exclusives that have come out.

But being able to play a large chunk of my 360 library at no charge (plus being able to repurchase them digitally for convenience), and pick up games I may have missed (now including original Xbox games) makes the Xbox One worth it for me.

Sony should make the PS5 able to play PS1 to PS4 games.

Of course, given their history, I’m sure backward compatible for Sony means you can REPURCHASE PS4 games digitally but not use the original disks.