The Playstation 4

From what Brad was saying, it’s more like Game Pass on PS4. So the PS3 stuff is streaming, but the PS4 and PS2 games install on your local PS4 and run, just like with Game Pass. No streaming involved.

But I don’t think it includes PS Plus, no. So for example, if Bloodborne is on PS Now (I don’t know if it is), you would still need PS Plus in order to see the messages left by other players.

As @Rock8man mentioned you can install PS2 and PS4 games, however you can play PS Now games online without a PS Plus subscription. Not sure if this is a new change, I haven’t used the service since beta.

Wow, that’s a hell of a deal, then.

Yeah, that is a pretty good deal. I own Bloodborne and that’s not as good as playing it through PS Now, apparently. I shouldn’t have bought it.

Thanks!

Is it normal that my wireless speed on my PS4 is significantly lower than the wireless speed on any other device in the same room?

My wireless speed is 150/150. Running speedtest on my iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc. gives me a consistent result of about 138-148 download speed. My PS4 tells me it’s getting about 32 down and 8 up.

PS4 can only operate at 2.4 GHz. It’s possible that there’s a lot of traffic on nearby 2.4 GHz WiFi channels, which is degrading your signal bandwidth.

Yeah, wire up that PS4.

Hmm. A challenge based on where the router is and the PS4, I’ll assume nothing I can do about the terrible download speed (I used a 2.4GHz device just to check, and it’s speed was still over double that of the PS4.)

I always got low download speeds with the PS4 until I wired it. I keep my cable modem and Router at the TV for this reason.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a game that can be played in 5-minute bursts on PS4? Because sometimes 5 minutes is all you have… and just getting to the main menu in Hitman 2 takes like 2 minutes.

So something that loads fast and plays quickly too. It’d be nice if it were a game where you can make permanent progress and not just an arcade game, but it’s not worth it if you have to take a long time to remember where you’re at in the game. Maybe a chill management game or something with short levels.

Preferably something cheap too… absolutely no masocore platformers!

First, I’d recommend turning on suspend mode so you can have the same game loaded up allowing you to get back in instantly when you wake up the PS4. Peggle 2 is on PS4. You could play something like Overcooked. The levels are pretty short there. Tetris Effect is on sale right now which might fit the bill. Burnout Paradise remastered is $5 right now, too, and if you suspend it you could come back and cruise around and try a nearby event at your leisure in that game.

Man, I’ve gotta figure out how to wire my house for Ethernet somehow. My router is in my bedroom but my TV, Steam Link and PS4 Pro are downstairs in my living room.

I’m not a handy person and don’t feel like buying a bunch of gear so I should probably just get a contractor to do it.

My son and I fire up Trackmania Turbo sometimes when we have 5 minutes before school. Tracks typically last about a minute each. And you can make real progress through the campaign. It’s not your typical kind of racing game–more like a Super Meat Boy style platformer–the kind of game where you hone your skills through repetition and replaying levels is instantaneous and painless. (There’s a face button mapped to level restart.) Trackmania was free on PS Plus a few months ago, so you may even already have it.

Worth checking out Powerline adapters. Not as fast as wired Ethernet, but fast enough. There are no wires to run, and it’s nearly plug and play:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-Adapter-Ethernet-Passthrough/dp/B0778Y6K6N/

Is the current state of the art on these powerline adapters pretty good these days? I tried a recommended setup about 10 years ago and it wasn’t much faster than my wireless.

That’s a really good question. I used a Powerline setup for years and finally abandoned it a few months ago and switched to WiFi when I figured out it was the bottleneck in my home network speed. The newer adapters are certainly faster and more robust than the ones from 10 years ago, but I’m not sure to what degree.

If your place is wired with coax, then I highly recommend checking out MoCA 2.0 adapters, specifically this one. I used powerline adapters for a few years but ultimately found them too flaky. The 2.0 spec of MoCA had just come out around that time, so I decided it to give it a shot. It has worked flawlessly every since. I’ve expanded from two to five units over time with no issues or slowdown. It’s a hell of a lot easier than trying to run wire all over the place and more economical, too (if you have a third party do it).

CAVEATS

• All the coax outlets need to be on the same “line” for one Ethernet source to service them all. Lines you had put in by other providers might not tie in, so make sure you test the adapters in all potential areas before the return window ends.

• They are designed to work with cable service going through the coax line at the same time. But I don’t have cable, so I can’t confirm.

MoCA 2.0 adaptors work great for me as well. Google Fiber, when they installed at my house refused to go to where my computer gets its hookup from cable. So they installed downstairs near the PS4 and XB1. That’s fine and dandy for the consoles, which are wired into the connection, but what about my PC upstairs? Stusser suggested the MOCA 2.0, and it worked great. It uses the existing cable infrastructure in the house, and even though I only get about 600Mb down/up using MOCA 2, instead of 1Gb down/up, it’s still very good.

So is wifi though.