The Playstation 4

It’s to protect against corrupting the entire game install if the patch fails due to sudden power loss.

This is specifically a problem with one game, I think your ire is more rightly targeted at Activision.

This is the part I was missing…

…but this also feels true. Reading a lot of people say that there’s a lot of compression (ex: the audio is uncompressed) that could be done and extra language packs that don’t need to be included. Which I don’t know if it’s true but wouldn’t surprise me that Activision has been far too cavalier about how much space they’re using. No one else even comes close to this install size.

I guess I better find out when they finally release the SSD spec and activate that port because I am a lite console player, but I am not really used to uninstalling in any game AND my budget for that didn’t really include twice the space for patching.

My PS4 has never been close to filled, so I never noticed.

Thank you for pointing that out. I had no idea.

Compression means the very weak CPU in the PS4 - and Xbox One to be fair - has to do a lot of work. This results in much longer loading times. So the tradeoff is leaving assets decompressed, which bloats the installed size. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

The problem is with COD, that if you don’t have an SSD, things like texture loading are so painfully slow that most of the time in multilayer you never even saw the other members of your team, because it wasn’t able to load the textures for their characters before the match started.

Accessing a conventional HD for huge amounts of data is extremely slow.

I think COD might have been the only game i ever ran into it with… But it was super frustrating, because the patch world only be like 50Gb, and I’d have over 100Gb free… And the thing wouldn’t install… Which is what led me to investigate what was happening.

This seems kind of a weird argument, because other platforms don’t do this when patching software

Does the PS5 still do this?

I’m not making an argument. That’s the reason the method is used. It is probably in part carried over as legacy code from the PS3 which did the same thing. Other platforms may see the risk low enough not to bother with such a protection. I don’t think it’s clear at this point how PS5 handles this.

Reminder:

Lots of good stuff for free. For the games I already own it says “unavailable”.

Looks like I can only redeem the offer for Funimation from within the PS4 itself, so I’m doing that now.

It also lets you add the stuff you may have gotten through PS Plus as permanent additions to your library.

Yeah, I noticed that with Abzu, that was a nice surprise. Though I’ve already finished the game, so I’m unlikely to play it again. Still, it has that timeless art style, so who knows, maybe one day.

Sweet, I now have a PS 4 library! Maybe someday I’ll have a PS4.

I fired up and updated my PS4 for the first time in a couple of years after upgrading its internal HD to a 2TB drive. Here are the titles I have on it:

DriveClub
inFamous Second Son
inFamous First Light
God of War
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Hohokum
Locoroco
Locoroco 2
Everybody’s Golf
The Last of Us Remastered
PaRappa the Rapper Remastered
Fat Princess Adventures
Super Stardust Ultra
Flow
Flower
Jounry
Bloodborne
Gravity Rush
Gravity Rush 2
Knack
Knack 2
Persona 5
Resogun
The Last Guardian
The Order 1886
LittleBigPlanet 3
Killlzone Shadow Fall
Horizon Zero Dawn (also have on PC)
Diablo III Reaper of Souls
Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet and Clank
Wipeout Omega Collection
Uncharted 4
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Tearaway
Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection

Here are the PS4 Sony exclusives I’ve identified as wanting to get eventually to “finish” off the platform:

Dreams
Spider-Man
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Concrete Genie
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part 2

What am I missing? Katamari, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are no longer limited to just Sony platforms and Days Gone will be coming to PC. There’s no Sly Cooper for PS4 is there?

Was there ever a Gran Turismo for PS4?

I didn’t even know the Miles Morales game was available on PS4. I highly recommend Ghost of Tsushima.

It came out a while before the PS5 console launched and would make business sense for Sony to reap as much sales on its existing platform as possible.

GT Sport

It released on PS4 the same day as PS5.

I played through Miles Morales on my PS4 Pro with my son before getting hands on my PS5. It was amazing, and we played through it again in New Game+ mode on the PS5 with the new Performance / Raytracing combo mode. Also amazing. But you know what? Not a huge difference in how we experienced it. I guess I’m not as much about graphics and frame rates as many others are, because I could tell the difference, but it didn’t matter much, if at all.

This turned out to be harder than anticipated. I don’t usually sign in to the PS4 itself, I play via remoteplay from my PC for all PS4 games. That way the TV in the living room can be used for other things while I’m playing PS4 remotely from upstairs. Anyway, I tried redeeming the offer via remoteplay but the Funimation app doesn’t transmit via remote play, even just to sign up. So I went downstairs and tried to use the controller, but it wouldn’t sync up with the PS4. This lead me down a series of Youtube videos on how to sync your controller with the PS4. (They really make it complicated). Anyway, in the end going upstairs and using the USB cord to connect the controller with the PS4 didn’t work. Pressing Share and PS button together didn’t work. I was trying to find a safety pin so that I could hit a hidden reset button near the L2 button on the controller, when I found one more youtube video that said, switch off the PS4 first, then connect the controller via wire, and then switch the PS4 on. And that worked! Yay!

Of course, I’m not even going to go into what a pain in the ass signing up for Funimation through the PS4 app was, because I had to do a lot of keyboard typing, including my credit card info, via controller. Such a pain. But I got it done. The Funimation app is terrible. I signed up with that account on the Apple TV, and if anything, the Funimation app on AppleTV is slightly worse. Definitely the worst out of all the apps I’ve used on there so far.

And I have to say I’m really disappointed in the content available on Funimation. It seems like it’s the animes that are available on Hulu, and that’s it? I’ll have to ask in the anime thread if there’s something worth watching on there.

Funimation has a deal with Hulu where Hulu gets certain shows from Funimation. It’s technically that Hulu pulls select shows from Funimation’s library. It might look and feel redundant at a glance, because Hulu tends to pick the more popular shows from the Funimation catalog (My Hero Academia, The Promised Neverland), but Funimation has the bigger library of anime.

Dreams is 35% off, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Refueled is 50% off and Concrete Genie is 50% off for next 2-4 weeks.

The Last of Us Part 2 is also 50% off and Ghost of Tsushima is 35% off at $54 or so CAD or whatever that works out to be in USD.

Shit, Crash Team Racing Nitro-Refueled has 43+36 pages of EULA to agree too on startup and the load time for the tracks are LOOOONG even installed to hard disk.

A lot of formerly “Sony-exclusive” titles from the PS1 and PS2 era are now multiplatform like Katamari, Resident Evil, Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto etc.

This past Sony generation seems to be missing a Ridge Racer title and Sly Cooper. I wish Wipeout and Ridge Racer weren’t dead franchises.