The Playstation 4

That’s just crazy.

Yep, I got offered $300 for my almost 2 year old PS4 Pro from a co-worker who knows I mostly game on PC. I am tempted.

Sheesh, time to get off my butt and try to sell the PS4 Pro I have lying around!

The last time I asked about it at GameStop, they quoted something like $270 for early-model used PS4s, because people aren’t even trading those in anymore and they sell instantly when they do come in.

Purchase price for a customer, not what they’d give you for one.

Ahhhh.

OK, someone please explain this to me. Rest Mode on PS4 supposedly allows for downloading and installing game, app and system patches, but it never seems to do so on mine, and I checked my settings and the relevant boxes are checked.

So I frequently have the experience of being ready to go and play a session of Ghost of Tsushima or whatever only to find, to my dismay, that I have to wait for a bleeping patch (or two, today) to download and install.

Is it one of your recent previously played games? I think it only auto downloads updates for your last 5 or so recently played.

Yeah, all I’ve been playing on the PS4 Pro recently is GoT. Now it may have been a week or even two since I last played.

It’s annoying to have to wait (because those darn game patches in particular take forever to download and install) when there’s this whole feature that’s supposed to let you avoid the problem. Would it work if I always explicitly exited the game instead of suspending it?

This post in reddit says it might be ps+ only?

Sony are not overly clear in that they imply downloading game updates automatically is free for everyone on their support page, but the actual wording on the application update files option on the console suggests it will only download updates in rest mode if you have PS+ (ie. the console has to be activated as the Primary for the account with PS+, and presumably it will only update games recently played by that particular account in rest mode).

You also have to consider that it only seems to check for application updates while in rest mode once a day. For me this generally happens between 5AM and 7AM, so if a game releases an update at 10AM and you come to play it that evening you’re going to find you need to download the update still because it missed the update cycle for that day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/ix2tcm/why_does_my_ps4_still_not_auto_update_games_when/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

Yeah, that’s a PS+ only feature, like cloud saves. Kinda amazing that such basic OS functionality is buried behind the subscription. I leave my PS4 pro on in sleep mode, too, and it seems like damn near every time I go to play a game, there’s not only a full system update, but a patch for the game I want to play. Which makes me avoid playing on the Playstation even more, which just exacerbates the problem.

It’s a total PITA. Do they ever discount that BS?

PS Plus? Yes, you can consistently get a year for $40 or less by checking Slickdeals or whatever your deal site of choice is.

$40 on CDKeys right now.

Thanks for the link. I suppose they at least still have the monthly games included, as well as these QoL features (for who knows how much longer since the New Hotness is the supposedly current but very rarely spotted PS5).

Gamestop is offering substantial trade-in credit for the PS4 Pro right now. Traded mine in for $325 ($300, plus an extra $25 for being a Pro member - since the subscription is $15 for a year there’s no reason not to sign up) along with a pair of Move controllers that they gave me $24/ea for and $40 for a DualShock 4. ~$400 in credit for a console and controllers I spent less than $500 on and got to use for nearly 5 years was worth it.

They’ll have to tear my PS4 Pro from my cold dead hands since I don’t have a PS5. I gotta have my Ghost of Tsushima and still have Dad of War to start and HZD to get very far into. And technically I haven’t finished Spider-Man (I kinda thought I had when I beat Mr Negative but I guess not --gotta be pretty far along in the game though).

Damn that is a crazy good deal.

And just like that, console life finds a way!

PS4 manufacturing had been set to cease at the end of 2021, Bloomberg reported today, but has been extended throughout 2022 - meaning around a million more last-gen consoles will now be created.