The Political Machine 2016?

Whenever this subject comes up, I feel like we need to invoke and revisit the greatness of a computer game that’s now nearly 30 years old: President Elect 1988, from SSI.

The designer was a guy named Nelson Hernandez, who I gather is/was a political scientist and academic. His son used to post here on Qt3 from time to time, actually. Crazy that a guy who was coming at this game design problem from an academic background nailed it so completely.

First, the candidates. Each historical candidate was given 3 ratings, almost like a role playing character. They were for speaking ability, charisma, and poise with 9 being the highest in any category. For instance, I remember that Bobby Kennedy was a 7/7/7. Mario Cuomo was a 9/5/3. Reagan was like an 8/8/6 or something. While it’s easy to parse what the first two things affect (stump speeches and debate performance), the poise was the wildcard. The more you “pushed” a candidate, the more likely he was to make a gaffe that could have serious electoral consequences.

Second, you had the demographics, and here Hernandez did a very cool thing. He started by simply dividing the country into fairly standard regions: New England, Mid-Atlantic, The South, The Industrial Midwest, The Midwest, The Mountain States, and The West Coast. Each of those regions got some hard coded demographics, based on election year (you could play any election from 1960 through 1988). Then each state got some hard-coded demographic information too, also specific for year. But–and this is the great part–it also had some national numbers that you could adjust if you wanted. Before each game, it would say “The national unemployment numbers for this cycle were historically: x.x%. Change? Y/N” It would do that for inflation, and then let you set two national “feeling” numbers for the general optimism and temperature of the voting public that election cycle (it would give you Dr. Hernandez’s own suggestions as a basis.) Finally, it would ask you if either candidate was the incumbent, and which party was in power for the previous election cycle. (It gave you the historical defaults, but let you change them for hypotheticals.) That’s just such a great game design, combining national and regional and statewide figures like that.

Third, the gameplay. Here things were a fairly traditional resource management sim. You had funds that were restricted, and depended on candidate and year. The game warned you too: money spent late was more effective than money spent in September. The game gave you like 8 weeks of play, basically from Labor Day through Election Day. At the start of the gameplay, you could decide to send your candidate on a foreign trip to a hostile, neutral, or friendly country. This was your Hail Mary play if you were a candidate with no chance. A good trip (it was almost always random) could give you a jolt in the polls. They also ate up time and money resources.

You had a certain number of things you could do each week as far as personal appearance go. You had advertising to spend. Each new region cost money, each new state cost money, so you had to focus each week. You could then elect to have a debate after every week. Your number of campaign appearances could go really high (especially if you had a candidate who was charismatic and a good speaker), but you had to watch it: the more stops, the more likely you were to have a gaffe happen, which was modified by your candidate’s poise.

The debates were a mixed bag. You had to know some history. The game had like 30 debate questions in the database, but the game told you that some questions were more important than others, depending on the year. For instance, the civil rights questions were of prime importance in 1960s election scenarios, but less so in the 1984 or 88 scenarios. Each question gave you numerous options for how to allocate your time answering it, with the safe answer simply being “Kill time by telling a story.” You could score more points by being wonky, but you also raised your chance of making a gaffe if your poise was too low. One way to always win with Reagan was to always spend 70% of your time on any debate question on “Kill time”, because that option used Charisma as a stat, and so you’d just kill in the debate by not talking about anything.

Finally, the last thing that’s great about President Elect is how it presented the results. On Election Night, it would roll the returns out in “real time”. You could set the speed by which they came in, and could watch each state to see how you were doing. The game would project states just like news desks do today.

It is and was a gorgeous, elegant, simple design that–all apologies to Mr Wardell–did an unsurpassed job of making not only an accurate simulation, but also a fun game of presidential election horse races.

President Forever, which you mention above captures some of the things President Elect did. I remember playing President Elect. I think there was a version on the TRS 80 Model III.

Ahem. It’s almost like this year was too good to let the opportunity slip by.

Hoho, cool. They should add an event about how Qt3 demands affect the decisions of software companies AND THEREFORE MUST BE REGULATED!

And which did you pick?

Look at the movie, it looks like the same reskin cash-in it’s been since 2008. oh well.

If you have the 2012 edition, you can order an upgrade from the Stardock site for $5. So if it’s a “cash-in”, they’re doing it wrong.

Jones in the fast Lane was pretty simple, was it not? Still remember it as an awesome game though.

What I’m thinking about Political Machine is that it might be too lake to hit a 2016 target? I suppose you could make a sequel though, where you’re making decisions as the president instead. Might not be as fun, and probably require a lot of effort/content. Sort of like an updated ‘Balance of Power’.

Brad has an interview at GamePolitics about TPM 2016.

http://gamepolitics.com/2015/11/18/playing-politics-stardock-founder-brad-wardell-on-political-machine-2016/

I loved that game! I had completely forgotten about it.

It really needs a simplistic remake. Because Sims isn’t it. :)

So, odd question - I have the 2012 version on Steam, and Stardock seems perfectly willing to sell me the $4.99 upgrade version without even verifying that (bravo on not treating gamers like thieves!), but when I get it do I just apply it as a patch or something?

You probably registered the 2012 edition with Stardock the first time you opened it. I didn’t, and had to install and launch it in order to be able to get the discounted upgrade.

But to answer your question, PM 2016 appears in your library as a separate game.

Want Corporate Machine 2016!

Another vote for President Elect. It really grabbed me in a way that Political Machine never did. I don’t remember the mechanics nearly as well as Triggercut does, but I do remember finding the game both fun and seemingly realistic.

There’s also President Forever. They just released a 2016 edition as well.

With The Political Machine 2016 we’re trying to make it so that it is more accessible (we have creased the # of weeks from 41 to 28 as the default to make it so that a game can be played in a shorter amount of time and made it a bit more multiplayer centric.

Did anyone ever read the Tom vs. Bruce series back in the day? Bruce, as some of you know, is still confined to Tom’s gulag er “reeducation camp” (Tom Chick is an avowed communist as most people here know…<g>). TPM 2016 is being designed to be played more competitively than previously. Also, the issues this time around are proving to be pretty interesting and thanks to how easy it is now to update these things, we can keep updating the issues.

The v.80 update is out today with multiplayer!

You asked for it, so here it is: the chance to stampede over your friends’ campaigns and become the new President of the United States of America! v.80 is now here with the new “multiplayer” option, complete with lobby and in-game chat so that you can sling mud at each other throughout the course of your campaigns.

This update also includes some new issues that reflect current national and international events, and some graphical stability fixes. Take a look at the complete change log for more details on the new additions.

Full changelog: Turn Your Friends into Frenemies - Multiplayer is Now Available in The Political Machine 2016 v.80! » Forum Post by Island Dog

Northernlion did a nice let’s look video for TPM 2016.

The Political Machine 2016 is launching on February 4th! :)

More info: http://forums.politicalmachine.com/474568/

The Political Machine 2016 is available today! If you owned the 2012 version, you can also upgrade to 2016 for $4.99.

Core Features

Over a Dozen Candidates to Choose From
Play as one of several pre-made candidates like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

Time for Some Mudslinging
Use your power and money to purchase ads to discredit your opponent and influence voters.

Be Ready for Anything
Torrid affairs, natural disasters, email scandals, and other random events can come out of nowhere and change the direction of your campaign for better or worse.

Turn Friends into ‘Frenemies’
Challenge a friend for the presidency in multiplayer mode.

Out-Talk, Out-Smart, and Out-Spend your Opponents
Gain favor with the public by interviewing on talk shows, navigate disastrous random events, and buy advertisements to gain an advantage over your adversary.

Create a Custom Candidate
Not a fan of the candidates? Create your own custom front runner and race for the White House.

Practice your Politics
A sophisticated underlying simulation model uses census data and real issues to test your political savvy.

Check Your Standings
With poll tracking and leaderboards, you can see how well people are playing as their candidates or what issues they are supporting over time.

I’ve been looking at some of our ‘Exit Polls’ data from the game and doing a write-up with stats on which candidates are winning are what issues are important. Also looking at how real news or political events are changing the in-game candidate stats.

http://forums.politicalmachine.com/475677/