The Principle: a bold, fresh argument for geocentrism!

I really only have two things to say about this movie:

1. I’m not sure what the eponymous Principle is, but it should have been “Weak Anthropic.”

2. By agreeing to narrate this film, Kate Mulgrew decisively settled the “Worst Star Trek Captain Ever” debate. Suck it, Bakula!

She also seems to have settled the “most embarrassing post-Star Trek career” debate. I can only believe William Shatner’s toupee will rest easier tonight.

They use the word “gravitas” in relation to Kate Mulgrew. I do not think the word means what they think it means.

Perhaps “gravitas” is French for “Star Trek captain who is, at best, no better than Bakula”.

I think that Geocentrism is not cubic, and is therefor evil.

Gosh, so much horseshit in that trailer in so little time. I don’t think I’ve seen anything like it since Ben Stein’s anti-science screed “Expelled.”

Things that stuck with me:

• That every place in an expanding universe appears to be the “center” was an issue addressed in Hubble’s time.
  • They guy who said “We’re the only place with life in the universe!” really needs to watch that “scale of the universe” video in the first episode of the new Cosmos. It was extremely remedial, but he clearly needs it.
  • Ditto the comments on how “all the other planets” are so barren. We’ve only had a good look at the ones in this star system, idiots. We’ve detected planets around other stars, but we don’t know much about most of them beyond their probable mass, and it’s hard to detect something small enough to support life.
  • They all need to watch Neil deGrasse Tyson’s little talk about scientists who stopped discovering things because they accepted “god did it” as an answer and threw up their hands. Things that had to wait for someone who didn’t accept that answer as good enough.

Man, out of context quotes are the best.

How sad that so many decades after Einstein people still think there’s an argument to be had about which centristic model of our planetary system is less arbitrary than the others.

From her appearance on Orange is the New Black, Janeway’s proving that she rotates around Patty Melts…

“I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused. Kate Mulgrew”

-From her Facebook page. The heliocentrists that control Hollywood must be getting to her.

Oh man. It gets better. Two links in from that story (Mulgrew -> Krauss -> Sungenis):

Bumping her above Bakula now.

I’m holding out for an apology and that she didn’t realize Voyager was terrible either.

Lawrence Krauss: I Have No Idea How I Ended Up in That Stupid Geocentrism Documentary

There’s a certain kind of deadpanning that I find hilarious, including the caption on that article: “The Earth goes around the sun. This is not up for debate.”

Watched the trailer at work this morning. We all had a good absurdist laugh.

From the Slate article Funkula linked, there’s this:

That’s on such a huge level of uncool. I conduct scientific interviews as part of my job, and I deal with scientists feeling incredibly uneasy about being interviewed nearly every time, because of fuckwads like these guys making The Principle. Thanks for giving scientists one less reason to trust valid research and proper use of data, jerks.

What’s wrong with Scott Bakula?

His willingness to appear on the shittiest (or second shittiest, opinions differ) Star Trek.

Was it Bakula that was the issue, or the show? I love Bakula in Quantum Leap (of course) and Chuck, but never watched his Trek.

It was the show. Enterprise had a lot of serious problems, but Bakula wasn’t the cause. I’m sure he didn’t anticipate such poor writing when he signed on.

Yeah, that’s kinda what I intended. His only bad decision was signing on. If he’d researched the role he might have realized that Voyager was a shit sandwich, and the same creative team was getting out some more bread.