The PS4 Pro is out.

That was my experience when I traded in an original 3DS for a New 3DS.

I seriously regret not being able to buy a PS4 Pro. I super mega wanted to, assuming it would have 4k Blu-ray support. Would have been nice to have access to PS4 games as a perk.

But no, fuck you Sony. I had to buy the stupid Xbox S.

Or just buy one anyway? Like you can’t afford it? I mean, i get it, adults gotta be adulting… but it’s only $400 bucks. Your video card was twice that price. It’s just cabinet space.

Oh, you’re not missing much ;)

At 1080p? I can just wait two decades for the PS4 emulators to be ready. I’ll still be alive, probably.

Otherwise I am waiting for Sony to add 4k blu-ray support to some future model.

Horizon runs in their checkerboard 4K mode

I went looking for a 4K blu-ray player and was shocked at how expensive they are. It’s like they don’t want the format to take off. I imagine this is part of why we don’t have a 4k player in the Pro.

@forgeforsaken those gifv files are freaking amazing. I played the shit out of Horizon, not only the best looking game on consoles, one of the most enjoyable and well written, to boot.

I figure I’m far more likely to stream 4k than buy disks.

Hope you don’t have data caps.

People don’t understand just how big 4k is. It’s more than 100 gigabytes of data on the disc. Whatever the bitrate you need for streaming “full” HD, triple it to get 4k.

(The only reason it is not 4x larger, is they use a newer more efficient encoder, H.265, on 4k content.)

But streaming 1080p, hell yeah … that’s easy mode these days. Don’t think for a second that you get full on-disc quality for streaming, though. They frequently cut corners when streaming on bitrate to get it to fit down the pipe better.

I don’t see that as the reason since the base Xbox One S does 4K Blu rays.

I’d guess that most hardware player makers only see the hardcore home theater types as really being interested in 4K Blu-rays so they don’t have much reason to offer more than high end players.

Yep. When i decide to go for 4K Blu Rays, it will be either with the S or Project Scorpio.

Good thing I have gigabit fibre with no cap. I can’t see myself buying yet another Blu-Ray player at this point, especially with HDR standards in flux and things like HDMI 2.1 around the corner. Maybe I’ll trade in my Xbone for a Scorpio. But it seems much safer to have the input be largely software based to limit the number of things I need to upgrade every couple of years.

Well, at full res (it’ll never be at full res, they’ll gimp the hell out of the encoding bitrate) that’s ~100 gigabytes of on-disc data for a movie in regular movie time, so 90 minutes-ish? Which means for a full resolution 4k video, actually streamed at the on-disc bitrates, your connection would need to sustain

• 66.6 gb/hour
  • 1.1 gb/minute
  • 19 mb/second

My comcast cable connection tops out at ~10mb/sec for download.

The most “show off your enormous bandwidth” screenshot I’ve seen recently showed 66 mb/sec download rate from Steam. 4k disc streaming would eat up 1/3 of that bandwidth in its entirety.

(here’s a reference for my 100GB 4k movie file size statement)

I don’t think I’ve ever got 66 MB/s from Steam - it usually tops out around 40-50 - but I did downloading GTA 5. It’s kind of immaterial at this point though, because none of the streaming sites use a bitrate that high even if the customer has the bandwidth.

I’ve hit 100 MB/sec downloading from Steam, which is about the theoretical limit of my router’s ability. Only during sales though - they seem to add additional capacity then.

I have gigabit fiber, a wired ethernet drop to my home entertainment center, and no data caps. It’s been weird re-calibrating my idea of what is reasonable.

I was initially extremely disappointed that the PS4 Pro didn’t support 4k blurays, and the inclusion of that hardware is why I’ll finally buy an xbox one when Scorpio is out, but I’d be a lot more unhappy if it wasn’t for the fact that 4k blurays are $35 each and there isn’t a single 4k bluray movie out yet that I’d even consider buying - the selection has been abysmal.

In fact, it’s only within the bast year that normal blurays seem to have finally matured as a medium to the point where interesting older movies are getting releases, and the prices of disks are often in the $10-$15 range where I don’t mind supplanting older DVDs or picking up something that I’m not certain I’ll watch more than once or twice.

I have become technologically ignorant over the past several years. I have stayed out of consoles since the PS2 and never bought an X-Box. My PC is now about 4/5 years old. I still get the first person nausea with PC games including games such as Skyrim and Fallout III, which I struggled through to about 20 hours each.

All of that to say, I want to get a PS4 because fuck it. I’ve been reasonable regarding my adulthood and electronic purchases for long enough. I definitely want to play Diablo III on a console and my kids 16/11, will definitely find things they will enjoy and I bet some we can enjoy together., We previously have only played some Wii titles and that console did not age well for me.

So, do I need a Pro and is the PS4 probably a decent choice considering my multiple old-man hangups and caveats?

This may be the wrong thread for this, but I didn’t much want to create a “Tell me what to buy thread” when jumping into this thread would probably do.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler

Best reason ever. As I get older I find myself using this justification more and more.

You don’t need a Pro, but I would certainly spend the extra $150.

If it’s for your kids, ask them which console their friends have first.