The PS4 Pro is out.

I think the PS4 Pro is an excellent choice if migrating from PC gaming. You get exclusives, AAA titles, and indie stuff. It’s overall a nice system, and I think the Pro is worth it for the performance boost and HDR (assuming you have a TV to support it).

Get the pro. Smoother frame rates (even if only locked at 30 FPS) equals less nausea.

HDR isn’t a Pro-only feature, the normal PS4 got it too with a firmware update. (But even so, get the Pro).

Just curious, how would console games be any different? Is it better to sit back further from the screen?

But the regular can’t do 4K? Are there any TV’s that do HDR on 1080?

Looks like (big surprise) all of this year’s Sony sets at 1080p and 4K are HDR.

The Pro can’t really do 4K either – there might be one or two games that will run it native but most of the time you’ll get checkerboarding at something like 1440p to provide the illusion of 4K. Which still looks good. A few games (Nioh, Horizon, MLB off the top of my head) are providing the player a choice of higher resolution or higher frame rate as a Pro exclusive feature.

To answer your specific question: unless the dollars don’t make sense, you should spring for the Pro.

I’m not sure which other games you’d really like to play with the kids that you’ll find on the PS4 that you can’t already play on PC (stuff like Towerfall Ascension and Gang Beasts seems like it would be a good fit for you guys… and they’re on PC with Xbox controllers standard as controls…) but I do know that if you want to play some solid third person stuff like Uncharted 4 and Bloodbone, then getting a PS4 is a good way to go. Diablo III on console with your kids is a good option and it is unique to consoles that way.

A 4-5 year old PC, depending on the processor, is still really viable with a modern video card upgrade too. Definitely look at that option since it’ll cost you about the same for a GTX1070 and you might be amazed at how awesome that makes your current PC.

I really don’t know that it would. Wishful thinking somewhat. I was talking about it with my kids this morning and I remember getting sick 20 years ago playing Katamari Damacy. So it is not very mild in its affect on me and something I have gotten used to and was probably a driving force in getting out of the console cycle as so many titles were moving in that direction. The PC obviously has plenty of strategy games I could focus on and as the Indie scene emerged and Steam made it all so easy to get cheap titles, it all made sense. I think there are enough PS4 titles now that I could find some that appeal to me and the kids.

I want to sit on my sofa and play things possibly with the kiddies. We play hobby board games, but, the set up and complexity is not always something they want to do and, of course, they play the hell out of video games on the iPad or the PC or their school Chromebooks. And some at friends houses who all have Xboxes and whatnot. My youngest loves the Sims. Some of the houses she has built there and worlds she has constructed in Minecraft are ridiculous. Our PC set up is such that playing with the kids is not as easy as plopping down in the living room would be,

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will get the Pro and if we play a handful of games together I think it will be a good investment.

Move your PC into the living room. :)

That is probably a simple thing I could do, but the separation of living room and the “Computer room” is something I would like to keep in our tiny little house. :)

Don’t let them read this post, but if you move it in there, you now have a hole on your desk to fill with a new PC. ;)

elbows Tyler in the ribs Pretty slick, huh?!

[quote=“Tyjenks, post:211, topic:126908, full:true”]

That is probably a simple thing I could do, but the separation of living room and the “Computer room” is something I would like to keep in our tiny little house. :)
[/quote]No problem: Steam Link.

Works amazingly well on a wired connection (okay on wireless, I’ve heard).

[quote=“JustinFletcher, post:213, topic:126908, full:true”]

Another thing I am sure I knew about, but did not want to invest in.

Everyone’s input helped, but visiting with the hospice admissions nurse today with/for my wife cemented my decision to use the “Fuck it” reasoning as the final determining factor. :) That’s not meant to be a “woe is me” declaration, but a “Here is where I am in life and, dammit, I’m getting a PS4”. The grins on my children’s faces as they had learned only to expect my frugal electronic purchasing ways are almost worth it themselves.

I’ve only haphazardly skimmed the thread, does this mean you grabbed the PS4 Pro?

YES! Kind of a big deal for Frugal Old Man Jenkins. (I say frugal, but my board game habit has probably subbed in for a console habit.)

Have fun and hope that helps you bond with the kids in a difficult time. Diablo III is especially crazy fun on the couch with folks.

Diego

Hooray. They have watched me play hours of it. My wife also approves after the fact. So win-win-win or something.

Enjoy it! I received a PS4 for Christmas and it’s been one of the best things I’ve gotten in ages. It really opened up a totally new avenue in gaming for me (really PC focused for years). Getting to play with the kids is going to be a blast too.

That doesn’t seem like something that would be PS4-specific.