The PS4 Pro is out.

I do remember when games like DX Invisible War and Thief 3 were gimped due to consoles not having the resources for large maps. But I feel like those days are long gone. Rockstar got GTA V running on the 360 and PS3, which had a paltry 512MB of RAM, and the game looked phenomenal with no performance issues.

Due to input methods PCs still offer the broadest range of gameplay types…dwarfing Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft combined.

Uhh… I wouldn’t say dwarfing Nintendo at this point. Have you used a Switch yet? It has multiple control methods, often all available to players based on preference. You can even plug in a keyboard now.

Not to mention, Nintendo’s far more likely to support those control types than any given PC dev.

For all that people brag about being able to use so many types of controls on PC, there’s still a distinct lack of games actually built around using all those different controllers on PC, unlike on consoles.

Consoles can’t even begin to pretend to offer a strategy genre and I can get motion controls on the PC. This isn’t to take away from Nintrndo’s accomplishments but PC is still king in terms of openness of gameplay types and openness of market.

You’re dissing Ninento. To Dave Long. Are you intentionally trying to start a blood feud? :)

Not yet, I’m waiting for more than 2 games. :-P

Are you going to play all these games you are waiting for … at the same time? :)

You could, if there were games to use them.

You’re right. I would hesitate using them over Mouse + Keyboard.

Note: I am just teasing here. :-) I enjoyed the PS Move back in the PS3 era! Also I want the Nintendo Switch to succeed brilliantly since more competition can only be a good thing for the whole videogame market.

…all Nintendo has is waggle!

[door slam, screeching tires]

I think they have a point in one area. The Cpus. I think the GPU capability is fine, and the memory too but still using the “jaguar” based/derived CPUs is clearly the weakest part of these systems(always has been since the originals) and I’d bet the main reason a game like Destiny 2 doesn’t hit 60fps on either of these updated versions but can on a sufficiently powered PC.

Supposedly the Xbox One X has slightly better CPUs but I have no idea how credible that claim is. It is definitely true that as you increase CPU clock, the CPU will be proportionally faster:

• PS4 Pro → 1.6 GHz to 2.13 GHz (1.33× faster)
  • Xbox One X → 1.75 Ghz to 2.3 Ghz (1.31× faster)

AMD Jaguar cores so… http://www.anandtech.com/show/6974/amd-kabini-review/3

2425, 0.39, 1.5, 1323, 4509 at 1.5 Ghz
3710, 0.59, 2.3, 2024, 6898 at 2.3 Ghz (× 1.53)
4318, 1.07, 2.4, 2816, 6598 i5-3317U 1.7 Ghz Ivy Bridge

(That A4-5000 is only a quad core Jaguar so the multi-core numbers would be better, in the rare cases when things scale to 8 cores)

So maybe … like a really REALLY low end Sandy Bridge 2011 era Core i3, at best, with a bunch more bonus cores?

Also @stusser I will bet dollars to donuts this is just faster Jaguars on a smaller more power efficient process. Clock scaling isn’t bad, performance wise, and it always works.

If the hardware is the same and you increase the clockspeed then yes, certainly. So far Microsoft hasn’t released any specs on the XboneX’s CPU cores, so we don’t know that they’re crappy Jaguars. They could be Ryzen. I doubt it, but it’s possible.

(Old Man Mode On)

I have to chuckle when I see comments about limits of the hardware when talking about relatively new hardware. I remember back in the Apple ][ days. I had one of the first (not an Apple ][ e or + ) and it had a 1 MHz 6502 processor. 16K memory, though most people moved up to 48K and 64K pretty quickly. 143K floppy drive.

And those specs remained unchanged for years, yet the evolution of gaming on that machine was amazing. We’d go to the Apple store every week to see the newest “Wow” game. Developers/programmers just learned how to become more and more effective with the hardware constraints they had.

Eh, but old games are pretty crap compared to what we have now. Nostalgia can only take you so far…

vs

Oh, no doubt. Back when we were playing Wizardry and FS1 and Bards Tale, etc. we would have never believed what games look like now. But the point is, over the years, games GREATLY progressed in their look and complexity and sophistication while the memory and CPU never changed.

So no great deal on a PS4 Pro yet huh? I was hoping for something exciting in here about some PS4 hardware stuff not… this.

Life is full of disappointments, Nesrie. Best to get used to it.

Maybe a price cut around Christmas time, when the Xbox One X launches. Why would they do one now?