The PS4 Pro is out.

If I had the money for a console right now I’d be tempted. Between the back catalog and newer stuff like Dragonquest Builders and World of Final Fantasy, it finally feels like there is enough there to warrant it.

So as a PC gamer who occasionally dabbles in consoleware… is this new version compelling enough to get if say a game i really wants comes out or just the funds and get the older version. No, I am not strapped for cash or anything, I just don’t like to waste it.

The review I posted earlier should enlighten you on how it differs from the PS4:

There will be no exclusives for the Pro. It’s not a new generation. So you wouldn’t be missing out on any games going for the cheaper and slimmer slim model. But the Pro does give the devs about twice the horsepower to enhance the graphics as they see fit. Or to allow you to enjoy PSVR.

If that’s compelling to you, it might be worth considering.

Wendelius

I’ll likely trade in my original PS4 for the Pro. If Gamestop is offering decent trade-in credit for it, may as well go for it.

Hi Wendelius

Thank you I did see that. I was hoping for more of an opinion. I don’t expect the PS4 to outperform my other equipment. I am not one to chase FPS gains much.

It sounds like though you are waiting for better hardware yourself, and I am still waiting for a game that cause me to pull the trigger… so I guess I could wait longer since I’ve waited this long too.

@Gordon_Bleu let us know how that goes. I’ve seen reports of people getting $50 for there’s and that’s just not enough to justify an upgrade for me. Might as well try and sell it for $100

I swung by Gamestop at lunch and the current offer was $150 for an original PS4 or $200 for a slim. Requires the console, controller, HDMI, micro USB, and power cord. If they were offering $200 for an original I probably would have done it.

Yes, but the first 5 minutes after posting is an editing grace period anyway. Any edits made in that first 5 mins don’t show up as revisions. cc @tomchick

This is definitely true, but 4k is literally four 1080p “tiles” in size, so 4k takes four times the horsepower to run. We should stop saying 4k and say 4× because that’d be more accurate ;)

Even a 1080GTX on the PC – and that’s $700 all by itself – isn’t enough to deliver 60fps at 4k in new games.

That said, less graphically embellished games should be able to do 4k on the PS4 Pro. And of course excellent 1080p performance becomes a near-guarantee on the PS4 Pro … that’s probably the main benefit.

I am still super bitter about the lack of 4k Blu-Ray support though. So so lame.

The PS4 Pro definitely is not a native 4k machine. It is a truly performant 1080p device, however, and the checkerboard rendering technique supposedly makes its “4k” look really great, if not approaching true 4k.

I employ a similar strategy Stusser and I appreciate edit history being turned off. :)

Well hopefully Razgon is still around and didn’t get chased away by the title police like he said.\

speak of the devil…

by the way target

$340 + tax PlayStation 4 Pro with REDcard ($360 without) with Coupon - Target B&M

with a coupons

https://play.google.com/store/app...ishlist&hl

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/t...d925077108

courtesy of www.slickdeals.net

Waaaait a minute, if you trade in your regular console for the Pro, you can’t transfer your data onto the new one, which means you lose everything. Or is there some other method?

You just need to redownload everything you want, as well as your saves assuming you had PSN. If you didn’t have PSN you’ll need to copy them off to a USB first. The transfer is just a more convenient way of doing things.

Mine is here now, and I have updated and set settings, and am now downloading 100+ GB of games. I intend to play Infamous Second Light first as I bought it on a deal week and never played it. I will then try Infinite Warfare, TLOU, and Second Son in that order. I might have bought Mordor to try if I didn’t already burn out early on that on PC.

I’d pay $40ish to get Mafia 3 digitially to try but f these ridiculous locks on dropping digital prices when the damn disks are already 1/3rd off. Retail can die any time now, please.

After that, we’ll see. I’m bummed it won’t play my UHDs but I have a UHD deck and a X1S for that if I need em already.

One technical Q: I have an ATMOS 5.1.2 setup, and the Pro detected it as 7.1. I believe the Pro can’t play back ATMOS from any source like Vudu anyway, so I should go ahead and tell it to treat it as 5.1 and set to Bitstream Dolby, or won’t that matter?

Truly performant…as long as one enjoys 30fps. Or am I wrong? I was hoping the upgrade would leave to devs putting 60fps modes into their Pro versions, but with the jaguar CPUs still being used I do not think that will be the case.

Nioh will be, which is the only reason I’d ever consider one. (I’ve decided against it.)

We’ll have to see if there are any frame drops or whatever.

You can back up everything to a USB drive and restore it to the new system. Will move everything including P. T…

The hardware is absolutely capable of handling 1080p at 60fps in modern games. Whether old games are patched, or new games prefer to stick at 30fps but improve image quality, who knows? I imagine individual studios will make different choices that best fit their games and business.

I got my ps4 pro today (amazon preorder from way back).

• Swapped the 1tb with a 2tb hdd
  • Installed the OS
  • Started the direct over ethernet transfer from my original ps4. I selected around 1TB of data and it said about 7 hrs. And yes you can transfer P.T.

I’ll give cod infinite warfare a try tomorrow I guess when everything should be all transfered though not sure what I’m expecting since I don’t even own a 4k tv. I’m just hoping for better visuals and framerates @ 1080p I guess. Doesn’t matter, new console, must own, end of story.

I’ll probably keep my original PS4 and throw it to the kids. The thought of playing console games with my kids without split screen sounds nice.

I also want to check out 1080p streaming remote play. I sometimes stream from my ps4 at work during lunch on the hdtv in the lunch room which has an intel nuc hooked up to it.

I like your optimism. But given how modern games like to drop frames even with Core i5s sometimes, I am not sure those jaguars will be up to scratch feeding the GPU a frame every 16ms. I expect devs to increase the resolution and call it a day.