The PS4 Pro is out.

It’s certainly not a universal issue that applies to all software (many of the upgrades we’ve seen so far have been tremendous) and the extent of the issue varies not just from title to title but also from scene to scene in affected releases. However, the bottom line is this: for games like Skyrim, The Last of Us and Mantis Burn Racing, gameplay will actually be smoother overall on base PlayStation 4 hardware. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is a little more complicated: we find that some scenes play at a noticeably lower frame-rate, while others hand in more consistent performance overall.

Wendelius

Those are software problems; that sort of thing will be fixed over time and certainly in later games.

Obviously. And reasonably minor ones for most games.

As the article points out though, if Sony wanted to mandate that all games should at least perform as well on the Pro, it would have been good to demonstrate that with the launch releases. If you buy the Pro right now, it’s a bit of a gamble on how your game is going to perform. Definitely worth waiting a bit for things to settle down, I’d think.

Wendelius

Sony is totally ignoring 1080p 60Hz and going for 4K because thats what sells 4K TV’s and I think is insane, greedy and dumb.

activate wait and see mode*

I picked up the pro for a few reasons. Mostly because my wife’s ps4 is slowly dying, but also because I have a 4K TV and want to wait just a little longer to build a new PC.

So far it does indeed look very pretty, though I’ve not dabbled with the HDR gaming functions because Vizio is still ironing out firmware that will process HDR without lag. I’m still a little sore that the damn thing can’t play UHD blu rays, but it’s a nice upgrade for me.

I completely agree that Sony did a poor job at quality control here. But I still say buying a PS4 non-pro right now is a terrible idea unless you simply don’t have the money and can’t wait until you do.

Yea, not what I thought would happen. Why did I buy this thing again? Having buyers regret.

Hopefully you bought it because you didn’t already have a PS4 and wanted to play an exclusive title like The Last of Us or Uncharted.

Pretty hard to justify an upgrade if you already had a PS4 or Xbone and don’t care about those exclusives.

Well, I am glad I decided not to preorder a PS4P since I’m not planning to upgrade to 4K for a bit. I was wondering if it would result in considerably better performance at 1080, but that doesn’t look like the case here.

I’m fine with PS4P being a “4K upgrade” machine, but that’s definitely not the machine for me. Truth be told, in a way I am kinda OK with that. It makes me feel like the console I already bought isn’t obsolete just yet, :)

I thought that 1080P was the sweet spot here, that is enjoy higher quality graphics and better frame rates. I didn’t think I’d be playing a downsampled 4K resolution with worse frame rates than 1080P. It’s still too weak to increase visual details at 4K when it’s pushing out so many pixels already.

I ended up getting a PS4 because of No Man’s Sky, only to find out it was going to be released on PC later. And then of course, I then got NMS. Yea. I picked up Skyrim Remastered and the discovered you can’t go home and found the game not as great the second time around. And then tried it this morning and found little difference between the versions.

I exported my whole old PS4 to the new one with an Ethernet cable. Other than taking an hour it was painless.

I traded in my PS4 for the Pro at Gamestop today. They gave me $100 credit instead of $150 because the unit was deemed defective. I was fine by that.

I don’t own a 4K TV yet or the PSVR, just happy to have a functioning PS4 again.

Especially since most people sit too far away from their 4k TV to notice any difference in resolution, even when it comes to pretty decently sized screens. I get that nowadays just about every fancy screen is 4k whether you want it or not, but why then waste your GPU’s horsepower on shit you can’t even notice?

Like 4 games out of 40 show very minor frame rate problems that’re really only a bummer if you’re not seeing the full 4K image. I wouldn’t classify that as much of a gamble. The rest of the games both look and run better.

I don’t have a 4k display and don’t anticipate buying a new TV any time in the next few years, so I don’t urgently need this, but I’ll probably pick one up in the new year for the improved 1080p performance and since I plan to get a PSVR eventually too. Sounds like an obvious choice if you don’t have a PS4 at all, and a solid upgrade but not an urgent one if you already have a regular one.

So this is a bit funny. As near as I can tell, you can’t(yet) stream HDR media with Netflix or VUDU on the ps4 pro. I’ll try out Amazon, but it’s pretty surprising that they would launch this thing without HDR support.

Edit: Amazon and Youtube won’t even output 4k, much less HDR. Sheesh.

HDR on games does work, and looks very nice indeed.

I’m not sure I would call it a solid upgrade for 1080p yet, but maybe games in current production will be factoring the extra power in from the start.

Pretty sure I’ll just wait until my current PS4 burns out unless the next wave of software performs much better on Pro.

Disappointing for sure.

Anyone playing in HDR? Last Light looks great, as does Uncharted. Anything else I need to experience in HDR?

Does your TV support HDCP 2.2? Are you using the Premium HDMI cable that came with the system?

Yes indeed! My impression is that while the Netflix app does support 4K, there’s no HDR yet. Same with the youtube app(HDR is chromecast only for now).