The PS4 Pro is out.

Hmm. I admit that since i play games to detox, and it’s been a toxic week, and i have no patience for these things, and i kind of ended up picking one up absent mindedly, my reaction to the PS4 Pro hasn’t been very calm and measured.

With greater playtime something is different, but I can’t tell where the difference lies. I wish i had a more rigorous testing environment and time to set it up, but with same video output settings (contrast, saturation, brightness, ect) the PS4 Pro looks better than the same game playing on the Alienware Alpha. I mean better, not higher framerates. Colors are much richer, it sounds better, contrast seems significantly higher. I wish i had a way of capturing the difference. Maybe downsampled 4K isn’t that bad? Maybe the PS4 works better with TV settings than a generic HDMI out on a computer? Maybe i’m getting high rez / upsampled audio b/c of the Blu ray disk having more uncompressed audio? Maybe the PS4 w/ HDR support is interacting with my old plasma (which came out before long before HDR but did support some extended unloved color space like xvyCC color space) in mysteriously beneficial ways? Maybe it’s literally just the differences between HDMI ports and HDMI cables? It might just be me and idiosyncrasies with my setup, i can’t really tell. But after a while comparing the two with Skyrim Remastered the PS4 Pro version is the better looking version on my setup.

The PS4 Pro GPU, essentially a RX-470, is substantially faster than the decrepit 750ti in the Alpha. It should offer better framerates and visual quality.

That’s what i was trying to convey; it isn’t frame rates, resolution, or level of detail. I mean when i stand in Jorrvaskr and stare at the fire, with the same settings, the PS4 version has colors that are darker and richer; the blacks are more black, the reds are more red. The PC version seems a bit washed out. I’ve checked all the settings in the TV and they’re the same for both input sources.

I have a Vizio P50 which supports both HDR10 and DV. I am not using the included cable. Yes I am HDCP 2.2. Uncharted and Infamous:First Light look great in HDR, wondering if anything else makes good use of it.

Maybe your PS4 is configured to use full range RGB (0-255), while the PC is configured for limited range (16-235)? The setting for that is in the Nvidia Control Panel, look for the “Dynamic Range” somewhere under video color settings.

I picked up Infamous: First Light last night, and the HDR really shines on that. It also helps that you can toggle it on and off to see the difference, but it’s a solid improvement.

I don’t own a PS4 yet, but plan on picking one up when (if) The Last Guardian comes out. Is there any compelling reason to get a PS4 Pro in favor of a vanilla PS4 if I don’t have a 4k TV?

Pretend I don’t give a crap about 4k Blu-Ray, because I don’t give a crap about 4k Blu-Ray. I’m philosophically against watching movies by putting plastic “discs” in “drives” like some kind of animal.

Yes, you should get a PS4 Pro, since you don’t care about the fact that it doesn’t have 4K Blu-ray. What it does have is a GPU twice as powerful as a PS4. Unlike me, you don’t own a basic PS4 yet, so if you do get one, why not get the better one?

Granted there are some problems right now with some games, but I suspect that will get sorted out in the coming months, and for sure any games released from here on out will likely get better frame rates or more details when playing them at 1080p.

For those like me who already have a PS4, it’s a tougher decision on whether or not to upgrade. But for you, since you don’t own one yet, I’d say go for the Pro.

Absolutely get the pro. Nobody should buy the regular PS4 now, nobody.

I used to come on here and abuse people who did their gaming on consoles, and I’d pontificate about how I just didn’t see the appeal,

Now almost all of my gaming in on my two PS4s (long story but I need to be able to game in two separate locations in my house) and light gaming on my iPad. I almost never game on my notebook - just some strategy stuff like CK2.

Sounds like there’s no huge reason to run out and replace my PS4s with PS4 Pros at this point, especially since I haven’t upgraded my Panny plasmas to 4K yet.

A great guess! Didn’t know this was an issue. Sadly… no. Same ‘problem’. I’m thinking the PS4 and PC versions might not be exactly the same.

This is probably temporary but the Pro is having allot of problems when running on 1080p. DF is showing several titles have all sorts of performance issues. Seems like Somys method of making the Pro act like a regular PS4 along with how 1080 is done is ducking with a number of games. Not good for PR to get people to, fork over money.

That’s not what DF is reporting. There’s a handful of games that run slightly worse in Pro mode than the base game on a regular PS4, but those are all running at a much higher resolution on Pro hardware. It doesn’t have anything to do with running at 1080p except that you are not getting the full benefit of that additional resolution if your Pro is connected to a 1080p set. But for every game with a small framerate deficit there are ten more that both look and run better on the Pro.

Could one of you post a link? I have no idea what “DF” is.

Digital Foundry

“And to be frank, this is PlayStation 4 Pro - we shouldn’t need to be discussing compromises at all[…]”

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHhahahhahahahahahahhaha hello, i’d like to talk to you about engineering.

You might find it funny, but part of Sony’s mandate was that whatever extra graphical features get added to use the Pro’s power, developers should do it in a way that doesn’t compromise the framerate for those playing in 1080p. So maybe don’t try and render all the additional effects and textures you upgraded for “4k” only to downsample them to 1080p.

Right now, a few games are in need of optimisation because they run slower in 1080p on the Pro than on the original PS4 which is about half as fast. That’s the kind of compromise you don’t really want on a Pro.

Wendelius

Right. What I want first is 1080p games to run at locked 60fps, period. Then you think about improving graphical fidelity.

Agreed.

You sound like PR dismissing this. This stuff shouldn’t be happening period. That a huge AAA title like Watch Dogs 2 and there are more performs like that is inexcusable for a system touted as for the serious gamer.