The PS4 Pro is out.

After reading this thread, I decided to go in on a PS4 Slim, and will hold off on the Pro until I actually have a 4k TV of some sort, which probably won’t be for a good long while.

Target has the PS4 Pro with a 15% discount for online purchases. That brings it to $340. YMMV whether it’s sold out or not.

That’s what I ended up doing. 1 left for pick up at my local Target. If I am able to trade in my old PS4 for $200 through Amazon as well that isn’t a bad deal.

Was my post above invisibile? :-/ This, people talking about the Amazon deal… Hmm. $322 for the Pro if you have a Target card, peeps. Good for another 2 hours or so…

Meanwhile, OnTrac has sent my 4K TV on a world tour, so I’m not seeing a whole lotta difference with the Pro just yet.

It saddens me that I missed the $340 price. Of course now I don’t want to sell my existing PS4 on Amazon, for fear that I won’t find a Pro for $340 for a while. And then when I find a Pro in a few months for $340, I won’t be able to get $200 from Amazon. :(

Haha, sorry Denny, I did check if anyone mentioned Target and somehow missed your informative post! Congrats on your new Pro. :)

Nier: Automata is yet another game that only does 1080p60 on the Pro.

[looks at PS4] You stupid hunk of junk.

This game has a PC version but no firm date.

Okay, I put Last of Us in and took some photos with my phone to try and show off the HDR lighting effects that TV’s (and soon monitors) can achieve. It didn’t really work super well, because my monitor isn’t HDR (and I’m guessing neither is whatever device you are reading this on) so it’s hard to see what the differences are except in person, but I was able to show off with one of the wall surfaces - you can see in the non-HDR images vs. the HDR image how more noticeable the dirty and worn textures are to see? That’s not because in HDR textures look better, it’s because in HDR mode the lighting is more “natural” and so the walls not being washed out by the lighting in the scene. Indoor and underground areas with flashlights and the like are even more impressive, but even harder to point out the differences with a camera phone image. It’s impressive tech, and I hope to see more developers start offering HDR as an option, both on console and PC.

I preordered a PS4 Pro because on those occasions when I do play a game on a console, I’d prefer it to be the best possible experience and not drastically worse than the same game on a PC. I do have PSVR, but it’s not hooked up yet (just returned to my house after 4 months of renos).

Impressions of the PS4 Pro are mixed - annoyed at no 4k Blurays, but given the limited availability and cost of those disks to date, the tech may be still born anyway. Also annoyed at the lack of support by From and, to date, by Rockstar, as I was looking forward to going through my ps4 backlog of GTAV, Bloodborne and DS3.

I also had problems with Uncharted 4 taking 4-5 minutes to boot after the patch (apparently common) but it seems to have worked itself out (I thought it was due to transferring the files from my old PS4, but apparently according to reddit it is an issue related to being online.

That said, for the limited number of games that support it (all games going forward), the results are worthwhile. Uncharted 4 with HDR looks so spectacular (and smooth) that I have been unable to resist replaying it in a Crushing difficulty run. Skyrim SE also looks great, although aspects of that game (like the facial graphics) look pretty primitive at this point. Battlefield 1 looks amazing, although I never saw it on a basic ps4 (and how the hell do I turn off the automatic camera switching when flying - annoying!). Haven’t tried PSVR yet, as said above, but am thinking of getting Battlezone for it, and also already have Batman.

Next patch rumored to have a boost mode for older games.

A cursory look into boost mode suggests it will increase framerate in non-Pro titles. But if games lock the framerate to 30fps, will boost mode override that?

Probably not, but many of those were capped st 30 and not locked at 30 so they could still benefit with a more consistent frame rate.

Also of note, external drive support is coming too.

Boost mode sounds like it would be really helpful for the Souls/FROM games.

Only affects non capped games. Seems most games are this way so probably won’t have much affect overal but nice to have the option.

Don’t think that’s true - it affects all games - it just wouldn’t affect hard caps (or change graphical quality in any way). But games like Bloodborne and the Dark Souls games would greatly benefit from not ever dropping below the hard cap and retaining framerate at the cap.

Boost mode gameplay in AC: Unity, a notoriously sketchy game when it comes to holding a stable FPS

The ext hard drive support will be a nice addition (about time!). My internal PS4 Pro drive is SSD, so I’m hoping there will be tools to move games back and forth between internal and external.

Right, tons of games are capped at 30 but sometimes fall below that. This will fix it.

I installed 4.50 beta 4 firmware last week. I added a 5tb external hard drive (in addition to my upgraded 2tb internal hdd which only has 300GB free) and then promptly installed every game I own on it. It chewed up about 1TB. You can set the default device to install to. Performance and stability seem really good so far. With boost mode on everything still seems to run fine. The rumor is beta 4 is the last beta before release so it should be out for everybody soonish.

On an unrelated note, ghost recon beta ran better on my ps4 pro than my pc with a gtx 970 (stutters quite a bit). On the ps4 pro it was rock solid.