The PS4 Pro is out.

The line between the ease of console and the hardware headache of PC is getting razor thin.

Is there a recommended brand/type of external HD? For disk installed games, do you still need the disk? Even though I havent installed a non-digital PC game in years, most of my PS4 games tend to still be disks because of substantial discounts at vendors like Amazon.

You still need the disk. They act as your token of ownership. HGST drives are considered the most reliable, but you can often find great deals on portable drives in the 2TB range from Seagate and others, which will be just as fast as the internal drive in a PS4.

I’ve been using the 4.5 beta as well, but I haven’t needed the external drive support since I popped a 2TB drive in my vanilla system a while back. It’s been updated more than firmware betas in the past. Only trouble this week is I couldn’t preload Horizon with it installed.

I hope that firmware update is out soon. I had to do the installed game shuffle to install Horizon and then again just to be able to download an Overwatch patch. I have an external HDD for my Wii U and it’s worked great so I have no problem doing that for the PS4 too, just need to be able to do it.

Update 4.50 is officially out. Boost mode, custom wallpaper, external drive support. Good stuff.

Help dissuade me from getting a Pro. I have no 4K TV only a 60" 1080p Plasma. Is there any reason to get one?

If you want to play playstation-exclusive games, sure. If you already have a PS4 or Xbone, probably not.

Im considering a PS4 for Blood Oren and Horizon Dawn and was wondering if refurb is okay for a console. How are the loading times in these things? Are they running on SSDs these days?

I still shudder at the Mass Efect loading screens disguised as elevators which made exploring the Citadel a real killjoy.

Refurb is fine, if it comes with a warranty. They don’t come with SSDs but you can put your own in the PS4 and it does immensely improve loadtimes.

I’m 95% certain that my hybrid SSD is the reason I’m usually the first person to load in my Battlefield 1 games, aka first shot at the planes.

There doesn’t seem to be any game so far where it really makes that big of a difference, really. Especially is you have to buy another TV to spot that difference.

Another reason not to get one seems to be HDR. The new “high quality color” mode is supported by the PS4 Pro, but it’s only supported on 1000 + dollar TVs. The price should probably go down in a few years. Also the HDR “standard” isn’t uniform among TV manufacturers, so it’s kind of confusing.

Perhaps if you weren’t as gluttonous as a Harkonen when it come to game buying you might still have HDD space…

Also known as cheating flyboy, while us poor honest schlubs die in the trenches!

I dont know what you’re talking about! I don’t have a problem… It’s all those free PS+ games, yeah thats the issue!

Caveat: I’ve never really been involved in the console space so I have no background/experience on trading in games or equipment, etc.

Okay, so I did buy a PS4 Pro, and I now have a barely used baseline PS4 (it was the version that shipped with the Destiny bundle about a year ago). I can’t really think of a need for it, so I’m looking at getting rid of it.

What’s a good approach here? Sell it on Ebay (I’ve never sold anything on Ebay before, so don’t really want to go down that road if I can avoid it)? Trade it in somewhere?

Gamestop will give you $150 in credit or $120 in cash. I’d take a few bucks less from them (use the credit on Steam or PSN cards if you want) to avoid dealing with Craigslist where you may get $200 if you’re really lucky.

Oh, I already have a PS4. Looks like no reason for a PS4 Pro now. Thanks.

I spent some time with Horizon Zero Dawn 4k comparison videos trying to spot the differences. The whole thing went like ‘Wow, that looks amazing, 4k rules - oh wait that’s 1080p still’. I could easily tell the difference with the UI but everything else, not so much.

So for now I am holding strong on not buying a Pro. If I didn’t have a 4k TV I wouldn’t even consider it, unless there was a specific game that I really had to 60fps in and only got that on the Pro.

How do the logistics of a Gamestop trade-in work? I don’t have the original packaging for the PS4, is that going to be an issue (I do have the power adapter, etc)?

If you took in the packaging they’d probably ask you to take it with you so no problem there. You need console, controller, power cable, HDMI cable, and controller charging cable (I assume the cables don’t need to be originals so long as they work) for the full credit. They’ll knock off a few bucks for anything missing.