The Puzzle Games Thread

Finally finished Yugo Puzzle earlier today. Fantastic and such an elegant puzzler. Now for something completely different.

Looks like Train Valley 2 got a new dlc!

Knot a crossword, but knotwords from Zach Gage just released and its kind of a cross between crosswords and wordle - good enough I bought full access, but you get plenty to taste on the free edition.

Thanks!

Recommended.

I just bought it!

Iā€™ve had that page up in Steam for the last several days. Looks like it may be good.

I had Please Fix The Road and Freshly Frosted in my cart until the other day. I donā€™t really have time for either at the moment but they both look great, and theyā€™re not sokoban-likes either! :)

I can recommend Insight, currently 20% off an already low price:

A series of grids you draw lines on to satisfy the constraints of each level. Reminiscent of the puzzles in The Witness, you are given new rules to figure out by deduction alone.

Iā€™m still near the start of the game, but already I can tell it does that great thing to keep it interesting, where new concepts are introduced, explored in some clever ways, and then we move on to the next. I believe it gets very tough later on: I found it from a recommendation on podcast One Life Left, where they said there are some later levels you just stare at for an hour before working out the solution.

Railbound is quite fun - thereā€™s a demo currently in the Next Fest, I highly recommend checking it out! Iā€™ve wishlisted it.

I think Iā€™ve done over 100 now, and itā€™s really great when it hits that sweet spot of head scratchy enough but not too much. And it does it so consistently for me so far, and the new mechanics are introduced at a good cadence. Surprisingly this game also makes me smile way more than most games I play, sometimes just because the new paradox introduced is just so good and sometimes that little dude is really goofy looking.

Sooo, that wasnā€™t exactly what I was expecting. Itā€™s more a spatial puzzle. You need to remove / add the tiles in the prescribed order. The game displays what they are going to be, so you kinda of need to picture in your head what needs to be removed and added, sort of like a horizontal tetris that doesnā€™t move the pieces. The game has undo so if you canā€™t picture the sequence in your head, you can try something and then back up 1 or more steps.

It took me 33 minutes to do the first 20 puzzles, so they havenā€™t been too difficult so far. I can see the possibility of it getting a bit crazy. Unfortunately I donā€™t think I find these spatial puzzles that much fun.

Hot Damn , my next favorite thing in video games next to Fishing is playing with Trains! Installing that now too!

6-16-2022 8-18-58 PM

About to give it a go. I enjoy puzzle games of all kinds.

Regarding please fix the road, I am not sure I like the way they make you delete stuff in a certain order to rebuild. Animations are sure lovely. I am going to give it another few puzzles, but I might end up refunding it. Also the gameā€™s name is misleading, as Iā€™ve fixed trails, boat canals, and rail lines.

Anybody try Taiji?

Certainly going to try this soon. Itā€™s a game heavily inspired by the Witness and endorsed by Jonathan Blow himself.

I bought it, but have only played a few minutes. Itā€™s very Witness-like in that itā€™s iterations on the same simple puzzle type and is exploration based.

OK, Iā€™ve put a few hours into the game now, solved two of the gameā€™s areas. Itā€™s very very Witness-like, which is a good thing! I like the puzzles and figuring out the rules, which are consistent and clear once you get them. (Like the Witness, sometimes I think I know the rules, but then a solution doesnā€™t work and I have to rethink them.) The art is pretty pixel art and the puzzles are pretty clever, including puzzles for traversing the landscape. Iā€™d recommend it if you liked The Witness.

Appreciate it!

I hated a lot of things about Witness, but the thing that finally made me quit was waiting forever for the bridges to rotate so you could walk across. Considering I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing with the bridges, I spent so long waiting for them that I just wasnā€™t willing to let the game waste any more of my time.

It looks like Taiji is more about solving puzzles and less about wasting your time? That would be good.