The Q23 Word of the Day

stodge

-dictionary.com:

verb (used with object)

1. to stuff full, esp. with food or drink; gorge.

verb (used without object)

1. to trudge: to stodge along through the mire

noun

1. food that is particularly filling.

-Encarta World English Dictionary:

1. heavy food: food that is heavy, filling, and usually tasteless. (informal)

2. anything dull: dull or unimaginative matter of any kind, especially writing (informal)

3. sponge pudding: baked or steamed sponge pudding.

-Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

heavy food, such as potatoes, bread and rice, which contains too much starch and makes you feel very full.

-YourDictionary.com (aka Webster’s New World College Dictionary):

noun

1. heavy, filling food, often unpalatable.
  2. anything boring or hard to learn.

intransitive verb, transitive verb

BRIT. to cram (oneself) with food.

-The Phrontistery:

to cram, stuff or gorge with food.

-The Free Dictionary:

noun

Brit Austral & NZ informal heavy and filling starchy food [perhaps blend of STUFF + podge a short plump person]

Thesaurus
noun 1. stodge heavy and filling and (usually starchy) food
-aliment, alimentation, nourishment, nutriment, sustenance, victuals, nutrition: a source of materials to nourish the body.

Translations
n stodge
heavy, solid food

adj stodgy

1. (of meals, etc) consisting of stodge stodgy food
  2. (of people, books etc) dull, not lively.

-Online Etymology Dictionary:

1823, “of a thick, semi-solid consistency”, from stodge “to stuff” (1674), of unknown origin, perhaps somewhat imitative. Meaning “dull, heavy” developed by 1874 from noun sense of stodge applied to food (1825).

-Wordcount Ranking: 62734 (between equips and kucan)

-Quote from This Day:

-Related Quote [in other words…I’m So Predictable]:

-xtien

I’m chuffed that this was the word of the day!

-Tom

Sod off, Chick!

doppelganger

-dictionary.com:

noun

a ghostly double or counterpart of a living person.

-The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart.

-Encarta World English Dictionary:

1. Somebody similar to another person: somebody who closely resembles somebody else.
  2. ghost identical to a living person: an apparition in the form of a double of a living person.

[pn: Boy is that a dumb dictionary.]

-Wiktionary.com:

Etymology: From German Doppelgänger, “ghostly spirit” literally “double-walker”, from Doppel (“duplicate, double”) + gänger (“goer”).

noun

1. A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts such a person.
  2. An evil twin.
  3. A remarkably similar double.
  4. (Can we verify this sense?) A person who has the same name as another.
  5. (Can we verify this sense?) A crooked male erection.

[pn: Wait. What?]

-GermanEnglishWords.com:

from Doppelgänger “double-goer”: the ghost or wraith of a living person; a double; alter-ego; a person who has the same name as another. See further example under eigen-.

[ul]
[li]“This was art, the fruit and expression of civilization, and the strictly functional schoolbus yellow had given way to fluorescent purple and cherry-apple red, to doppelgänger green, Day-Glo orange and shattered pink.” T.C. Boyle, Drop City, 2004, p. 295.[/li][li]“‘And she will never allow Slitscan to run that footage of your doppelgänger.’” William Gibson, Idoru, 1997, p. 363.[/li][li]“Ghostly horror by Stephen King’s doppelganger.” from a review by the San Francisco Chronicle in Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman, Desperation, 1996, p. 548.[/li][li]“A species of apparition, similar to what the Germans call a Double-Ganger, was believed in by the Celtic tribes, and is still considered as an emblem of misfortune or death.” Walter Scott, A Legend of Montrose.[/li][/ul]

-Medical Dictionary (TheFreeDictionary.com):

Psychiatry A delusion that a double of a person or place exists elsewhere; it is related to other defects in recognition and suggests organic disease in the nondominant parietal lobe.

-Encyclopedia Britannica:

(German: “double goer”), in German folklore, a wraith or apparition of a living person, as distinguished from a ghost. The concept of the existence of a spirit double, an exact but usually invisible replica of every man, bird, or beast, is an ancient and widespread belief. To meet one’s double is a sign that one’s death is imminent. The doppelganger became a popular symbol of horror literature, and the theme took on considerable complexity.

1830, from Ger., lit. “double-goer”, originally with a ghostly sense. Sometimes half-Anglicized as doubleganger.

-Wordcount Ranking: 73009 (between hater and snelling)

-Quote from This Day:

-xtien

I’ve seen my doppelganger before (in the sense of definition three), at the All-State Music Festival; we were both members of the choir. It was like looking in a mirror. I wonder what would have happened if I’d tried to make contact…

All in all, it was rather unsettling.

Maybe you should have thought about that before you fell asleep next to a pod.

I’ve only seen mine in the sense of definition five, unfortunately.

That T.C. Boyle description is pretty dire. What shade is “Doppelganger Green”? Is it the shade your sexytime partner goes when they catch sight of your skewiff manpiece?

demotic

-dictionary.com:

adjective

1. of or pertaining to the ordinary, everyday, current form of a language; vernacular: a poet with a keen ear for demotic rhythms.
  2. of or pertaining to the common people; popular.
  3. of, pertaining to, or noting the simplified form of hieratic writing used in Ancient Egypt between 700 b.c. and a.d. 500.

noun

1. demotic script.
  2. (initial capital letter) Also called Romaic. the modern Greek vernacular (distinguished from Katharevusa).

-YourDictionary.com:

adjective

1. (a.) of the people; popular; specif., vernacular (sense)
    (b.) in or of idiomatic, colloquial, everyday language

2. designated or of a simplified system of ancient Egyptian writing.

noun

1. Romaic
  2. everyday language; the way real people speak.

-Ultralingua.com:

adj.

Of or for the common people: “demotic entertainments”: “demotic speech”: “a poet with a keen ear for demotic rhythms”

n.

A simplified cursive form of the ancient hieratic script: “Demotic script was eventually replaced by Greek.”

adj.

Of or written in or belonging to the form of modern Greek based on colloquial use.

-Wikipedia.org:

Demotic (from Greek: δημοτικός dēmotikós, “popular”) refers to either the ancient Egyptian script derived from northern forms of hieratic used in the Delta, or the stage of the Egyptian language following Late Egyptian and preceding Coptic. The term was first used by the Greek historian Herodotus to distinguish it from hieratic and hieroglyphic scripts. By convention, the word “Demotic” is capitalized in order to distinguish it from demotic Greek.

-Webster Dictionary, 1913:

Of or pertaining to the people; popular; common. Demotic alphabet V character, a form of writing used in Egypt after six or seven centuries before Christ, for books, deeds, and other such writings; a simplified form of the hieratic character; – called also epistolographic character, and enchorial character.

-Archeology Wordsmith:

DEFINITION: The Egyptian cursive script for secular/everyday use and civil records derived from hieroglyphs by way of hieratic. Although more easily written, its structure was identical with that of the original hieroglyphic. It first appeared in 7th century BC, surviving until the 5th century AD. It was used for the central of the three inscriptions on the Rosetta Stone. The term comes from the Greek demotika, ‘popular script’ or ‘script in common use’, also known as enchorial, ‘of the country’.

1822, from Gk. demotikos “of or for the common people”, originally “district”, from PIE *da-mo- “division”, from base *da- “to divide” (see tide). In contrast hieratic. Originally of the simpler of two forms of ancient Egyptian writing; broader sense is from 1831; used of Greek since 1927.

-Wordcount Ranking: 66723 (between endpapers and isothermal)

-Quote from This Day:

-Quotes from Other Days [aka: This is So Meta]:

-xtien

cogent

-dictionary.com:

adjective

1. convincing or believing by virtue of forcible, clear, or incisive presentation; telling.
  2. to the point; relevant; pertinent.

-American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

Appealing to the intellect or powers of reasoning; convincing: a cogent argument. See synonyms at valid.

-Merriam-Webster’s Online Dictionary:

adjective

1: having power to compel or constrain <cogent forces>
2 a : appealing forcibly to the mind or reason: CONVINCING <cogent evidence>
b: pertinent; relevant <a cogent analysis>

-Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

describes an argument or reason, etc. that is clearly expressed and persuades people to believe it.

-Wiktionary.com:

1. Reasonable and convincing; based on evidence.
  2. Appealing to the intellect or powers of reasoning.
  3. Forcefully persuasive.

-The Online Plain Text Dictionary:

I[/I] Compelling, in a physical sense; powerful.
I[/I] Having the power to compel conviction or move the will; constraining; conclusive; forcible; powerful; not easily resisted.

-Webster’s 1828:

1. Forcible, in a physical sense; as the cogent force of nature.
  2. Urgent; pressing on the mind; forcible; powerful; not easily resisted; as a cogent reason or argument.
    The harmony of the universe furnishes cogent proof of a deity.

-V2 Vocabulary Building Dictionary:

Convincing enough to compel belief or agreement–forceful and convincing.

Synonyms
persuasive, convincing, compelling, coherent, trenchant, effective\

Antonyms
unconvincing, ineffective

Tips
Cogent carries a connotation of rationality and is often used to describe arguments or analysis. Cogent is derived from the Latin cogere, which means “to drive” or “to force.” Thus, the clarity and logic of a Cogent argument are strong enough to virtually force belief. Cogent is a great word to describe an argument or an idea that is very well thought out and convincing.

1659, from Fr. cogent “necessary, urgent” (14c.), from L. cogentem (nom. cogens), prp. of cogere “to curdle, to compel, to collect”, from -com “together” + agere “to drive”.

-Wordcount Ranking: 31552 (between wold and quibble)

[pn: Quibble. I love that word. Especially considering…]

-Quote from This Day:

-Quotes from the Past of…Oh hell, just go look at the thread. It’s a work of art.

-Oh…and sorry…I just can’t resist throwing these two in.

-xtien

Link goes nowhere :(

Edit: Also, I’m proud that I’m involved with this word of the day, although apparently only by association. :)

Thanks Rimbo.

Drat. What I thought would happen would be the link to the search results page for the word cogent within that thread. Rather than linking the whole thread. And when I tested it that worked. Didn’t hold up apparently.

So, here’s the actual link for that page of the thread.

And as a bonus, here’s my favorite Rimbo quote from that thread:

-Double Special Social Bonus That Probably Only Amuses Me:

Last night I was out with a bunch of friends to go see the film Zombieland. We had dinner first (Italian). One of my friends used the word cogent in a sentence at the dinner table. Very nice.

-xtien

P.S. Um…what’s with the “Friend” thing in the Qt3 user profiles now? I clicked on Rimbo’s name to get to his posts to track down this thread, and I found a whole different interface. That “Friends” thing wasn’t there before, was it?

I believe it came in with last night’s forum upgrade, which was designed to provide greater compatibility with the iPhone. The true extent of the upgrade has yet to be determined, as far as I know.

Forum software upgrade, as a result of this.

menarche

[muh-nahr-kee, me-]*

-dictionary.com:

the first menstrual period; the establishment of menstruation.

Origin
1895-1900; MEN + arche beginning

Related Forms
menarcheal, menarchial, adjective

*[pn: I usually don’t include the phonetic part of the def., but this one threw me for a loop]

-American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language:

The first menstrual period, usually occurring during puberty.

-Merriam-Webster Online:

the beginning of the menstrual function; especially: the first menstrual period of an idividual.

-Dictionary of Difficult Words:

[n.] first appearance of menses.

-Medical Dictionary:

The first menstrual cycle marked by the initiation of menstruation.

-Imaginis - Breast Cancer Glossary of Medical Terms:

A woman’s first menstrual period. Early menarche (before age 12) is a risk factor for breast cancer, possibly because the earlier a woman’s periods begin, the longer her exposure to estrogen.

-Wikipedia.org:

(pronounced /mɨˈnɑrki/, from Greek μήν moon + αρχή beginning) is the first menstrual cycle, or first menstrual bleeding in the females of human beings. From both social and medical perspectives it is often considered the central event of female puberty, as it signals the possibility of fertility. Timing of menarche is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors, especially nutritional status. The average age of menarche has declined over the last century but the magnitude of the decline and the factors responsible remain subjects of contention.

The average age of menarche in the United States is about 12.5 years[1] and 13.06 ± 0.10 years in Iceland.[2]

Menarche and Fertility

In most girls, menarche does not signal that ovulation has occurred. In postmenarchal girls, about 80% of the cycles were anovulatory in the first year after menarche, 50% in the third and 10% in the sixth year.[4][5]

Regular ovulation is usually indicated by predictable and consistent intervals between menses, predictable and consistent durations of menses, and predictable and consistent patterns of flow (e.g., heaviness or cramping). Continuing ovulation typically requires a body fat content of at least 22%. An anthropological term for this state of potential fertility is nubility.

On the other hand, not every girl follows the typical pattern, and some girls ovulate before the first menstruation. Although unlikely, it is possible for a girl who has engaged in sexual intercourse shortly before her menarche to conceive and become pregnant, which would delay her menarche until after the birth. This goes against the widely held assumption that a woman cannot become pregnant until after menarche.

menopause: 1872, from Fr. ménopause, from Gk. men (gen. menos) “month” + pausis “a cessation, a pause”, from pauein “to cause to cease”. Opposite of menarche “onset of menstruation”, 1900, from Ger. (1895), from Gk. arkhe “beginning”.

-Wordcount Ranking: 64412 (between greenstone and coilus)

-Quote from This Day:

-xtien

rigorous

-dictionary.com:

adjective

1. characterized by rigor; rigidly severe or harsh, as people, rules, or discipline: rigorous laws.
  2. severely exact or accurate; precise: rigorous research.
  3. (of weather or climate) uncomfortably severe or harsh; extremely inclement.
  4. Logic, Mathematics. logically valid.

Related forms:
rigorously, adverb
rigorousness, noun

Synonyms:

1. stern, austere, hard, inflexible, stiff, unyielding. See STRICT. 2. demanding, finical. 3. Hard, bitter.

Antonyms:

1. flexible, soft. 2. inaccurate. 3. mild.

adjective

1. Characterized or acting with rigor: a rigorous program to restore physical fitness.
  2. Full of rigors; harsh: a rigorous climate.
  3. Rigidly accurate, precise. See Synonyms at BURDENSOME.

1: manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor: very strict.
2 a: marked by extremes of temperature or climate
b: HARSH, SEVERE
3: scrupulously accurate: PRECISE

-Wiktionary:

1. Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless; as, a rigorous officer of justice; a rigorous execution of law; a rigorous demonstration or definition.
  2. Severe; intense; inclement: as, a rigorous winter.
  3. Violent.

-Collins Discovery Encyclopedia:

Maths Logic (of a proof) making the validity of the successive steps completely explicit.

-Wolfram Mathworld:

A proof or demonstration is said to be rigorous if the validity of each step and the connections between the steps is explicitly made clear in such a way that the result follows with certainty. “Rigorous” proofs often rely on the postulates and results of formal systems that are themselves considered rigorous under stated conditions.

-Wordcount Ranking: 9396

-Quote from This Day:

-xtien

You need a more rigorous definition, lest we become bog-standard. We’ll chunter away till you introduce a cogency to your definitions. Enough of this demotic disposition!

At Rywill: I think it’s obvious I wasn’t going for clever. I’ll make your job even easier: I was lazy enough only to go back to page 18. In fact, I’m not entirely sure I used them correctly.

Whoa, he totally used a bunch of words right from Word of the Day!

vivisect/vivisection

[QUOTES BELOW CONTAIN SPOILERS]

-dictionary.com:

verb (used with object)

1. to dissect the living body of (an animal)

verb (used without object)

1. to practice vivisection.

Related Forms
vivisector, noun

vivisection:

noun

1. the action of cutting into or dissecting a living body.
  2. the practice of subjecting living animals to cutting operations, esp. in order to advance physiological and pathological knowledge.

1: the cutting of or operation on a living animal usually for physiological or pathological investigation; broadly: animal experimentation especially if considered to cause distress to the subject.
2: minute or pitiless examination or criticism.

-Wikipedia.org:

From Latin vivus (“alive”) + sectio (“cutting”), Vivisection is surgery conducted upon a living organism, typically animals with a central nervous system, to directly view living internal structure for purposes other than the health of the subject.

A broader interpretation includes non-behavioural experimental research involving living animals.[1] This is the intended meaning when used by those opposed to animal experimentation in general. In the scientific community, vivisection for living tissue study has been superseded by modern techniques.

The act or practice of cutting into or otherwise injuring living animals, especially for the purpose of scientific research.

-Mondofacto:

<physiology> to dissect a live animal, this is done to observe functioning body systems (such as to observe the effects of certain stimulants or depressants on a beating heart). The animal is rendered unconscious before the vivisection is done.

-The Probert Encyclopaedia of Medicine:

Vivisection is the dissection of living subjects. It was first practised on human subjects in 300 BC by Herophilus, and until 1570 criminals were vivisected at Pisa. The practise is still carried out on animals, and there is much controversy over its moral and scientific value in areas of research such as testing drugs, surgical practises and testing cosmetic products. The enforced chain smoking by Beagle dogs led to the belief of smoking causing cancer in humans.

-Catholic Encyclopedia:

Defined literally the word vivisection signifies the dissection of living creatures; ordinarily it means any scientific experiment on animals involving the use of the scalpel; incorrectly it is used for any experimental observations of animals under abnormal conditions. The literal dissection of living animals is practised nowhere, as it is much more convenient to study the structure of man’s body in the cadaver…

Before William Harvey (1578-1657) could announce his discovery of the circulation of the blood he was obliged, as he confesses, to make for years innumerable vivisections of animals of all kinds, for he could investigate the mechanism of the circulation only in the living animal. He was thus able to reach the conclusion that the arteries which are empty in the corpse are filled with blood duringlife and not with air, as was believed until then…

About 1870 the societies for the protection of animals, especially those in England, began a violent agitation against vivisection, which led in 1876 to a bill entitled “Cruelty to Animals Act.” In this way vivisection was essentially restricted. The agitation spread later to Germany and Austria and in 1885 led in both countries to legislation which permitted vivisection under conditions that did not prevent experiments for research. The opponents of vivisection claim that experiments on animals have no direct value for medical science, that it is an aimless torture, brutalizing the mind, and that distinguished scholars have denounced it…

There may be a few physicians among the opponents of vivisection, yet these are always men who have no interest in scientific investigation and who are often not able to comprehend an investigator’s method of thinking…

-Wordcount Ranking: 52258 (vivisection)

-Quote from This Day:

[WARNING: SPOILER ALERT! THESE QUOTES ARE FROM THE FILM DISTRICT 9!!! If you have not seen this film:

1. Get your ass out and see it.
  2. Don’t look at these quotes.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!]

[Okay, those aren’t really spoilers. Fooled you. There is a notatiger quote from earlier in the thread, but I’ll just link that because, well, I’m just ultra-phobic about spoilering.]

[END SPOILER SECTION]

-A Couple Other Quotes to Make Up For Choosing A Spoiler Word:

-Finally, An After Dinner Drink (or Two) with Bill:

-Oh…and Ultra-Finally:

Sir Dinadan: Your majesty can’t believe this blustering prattle, Let him prove it with a sword or lance instead, I promise you when I’ve done this gory battle, His shoulders will be lonesome for his head!

Queen Guinevere: You’ll disconnect him?

Sir Dinadan: I’ll vivisect him!

Queen Guinevere: You’ll open wide him?

Sir Dinadan: I’ll sub-divide him!

-xtien

Yes, I got into the WotD with a snarky throw away one liner!