The Q23 Word of the Day

doughy

-dictionary.com:

adjective

of or like dough, esp. in being soft and heavy or pallid and flabby: a doughy consistency; a fat, doughy face.

-Macmillan Dictionary:

soft and easily stretched.

-Merriam-Webster:

:resembling dough: as

a: not thoroughly baked <doughy bread>

b: unhealthily pale: PASTY <a doughy face>

Examples of DOUGHY:

*High humidity can make your loaves turn out doughy.
*<she worried that her husband was very ill when she saw his doughy complexion>

-Century Dictionary:

1. Like dough; flabby and pallid; yielding to pressure; impressible.
  2. Not thoroughly baked, as bread; consisting in part of unbaked dough; half-baked.

-Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

soft, thick and sticky, like dough.

-Wiktionary.org:

doughy (comparative doughier, superlative doughiest)

1. having the characteristics of dough especially in appearance or consistency: as

1. pale and flabby
    2. soft and heavy

-The Online Plain Text English Dictionary:

Like dough; soft and heavy; pasty; crude; flabby and pale; as, a doughy complexion.

-Rhymezone:

having the consistency of dough because of insufficient leavening or improper cooking.

-Webster’s 1828:

Like dough; soft, yielding to pressure; pale.

-Moby Thesaurus II:

adhesive, amylaceous, ashen, ashy, baccate, blanched, clabbered,
clammy, clayey, clotted, coagulated, colorless, curdled, flabby,
fleshy, gaumy, gelatinous, glairy, gluelike, gluey, glutenous,
glutinose, glutinous, gooey, grumous, gumbo, gumbolike, gumlike,
gummous, gummy, heavy, inspissated, jelled, jellied, jellylike,
livid, loamy, lurid, macerated, masticated, mucilaginous, mushy,
pallid, pasty, pithy, pulpal, pulpar, pulped, pulplike, pulpy,
ropy, slabby, slimy, slithery, soft, spongy, squashy, squelchy,
squishy, starchy, sticky, stodgy, stringy, succulent, syrupy,
tacky, tenacious, thick, thickened, tough, tremelloid, tremellose,
viscid, viscose, viscous, waxen

-Urban Dictionary:

An Australian term. A doughy person is slow to catch on and in fact would be the type of person who doesn’t understand the meaning of this word.

-Wordcount Ranking: 76568 (between fnt and hydrofoil)

-The Routledge Dictionary of Historical Slang:

A baker: coll (–1823). cf. CHIPS; DIPS. 2. Hence, the nickname of any man surnamed Baker: naval and military: late C.19–20.

-The Probert Encyclopedia of Slang:

Doughy is slang for a baker.
Doughy is slang for stupid.
Doughy is Australian slang for the buttocks.

DOUGHY OVER:
doughy over is Australian slang for in love with.

-Quote from This Day:

-Quote from Not Here:

-xtien

docket

-dictionary.com:

noun

1. Also called a trial docket. a list of cases in court for trial, or the names of the parties who have cases pending.
  2. Chiefly British
    a. an official memorandum or entry of proceedings in a legal cause.
    b. a register of such entries.
    c. any of various certificates or warrants giving the holder right to obtain, buy, or move goods that are controlled by the government, as a custom-house docket certifying duty has been paid.
  3. The list of businesses to be transacted by a board, council, legislative assembly, or the like.
  4. British. a writing on a letter or a document stating its contents; any statement of particulars attached to a package, envelope, etc.; a label or ticket.

verb (used with object)
5. Law. To enter in the docket of the court.
6. Law. To make an abstract or summary of the heads of, as a document; abstract and enter in a book: judgments regularly docketed.
7. to endorse (a letter or document, etc.) with a memorandum.

-Oxford Dictionaries:

1. British a document or label listing the contents of a consignment or package.
    -a customs warrant certifying that duty has been paid on goods entering a country.
    -a voucher entitling the holder to receive or obtain delivery of goods ordered.
  2. North American a list of cases for trial or people having cases pending.
    -an agenda or list of things to be done.

-Macmillan Dictionary:

1. LEGAL AMERICAN: a list of cases that are waiting to be considered in a court of law.
  2. a document that gives information about what is inside something such as a package.
  3. AMERICAN: a list of businesses to be discussed or things to be done, especially at a meeting.

-Merriam-Webster:

1 : a brief written summary of a document
2 [b]a/b: a formal abridged record of the proceedings in a legal action (2): a register of such records
[b]b/b: a list of legal causes to be tried; also: the caseload of a court or judge (2): a calendar of business matters to be acted on
3 : an identifying statement about a document placed on its outer surface or cover.

-Wikipedia.org:

A docket (abbreviated as dkt.) is the official summary of proceedings in a court of law. The term originally referred to the large folio books in which clerks recorded all filings and court proceedings for each case. Rules of civil procedure often state that the court clerk shall record certain information “on the docket” when a specific event occurs.

-Classic Encyclopedia:

DOCKET (perhaps from “dock,” to curtail or cut short, with the diminutive suffix et, but the origin of the word is obscure; it has come into use since the 15th century), in law, a brief summary or digest of a case, or a memorandum of legal decisions; also the alphabetical list of cases down for trial, or of suits pending. Such cases are said to be “on the docket.” In commercial use, a docket is a warrant from the custom-house, stating that the duty on goods entered has been paid, or the label fastened to goods, showing their destination, value, contents, &c., and, generally, any indorsement on the back of a document, briefly setting out its contents.

-Online Etymology Dictionary:

mid-15c., “a summary or abstract,” of unknown origin, perhaps a dim. form related to dock (v.). An early form was doggette. Meaning “list of lawsuits to be tried” is from 1709.

-Wordcount Ranking: 67580

-Quote from This Day:

-xtien

“Perfect. I’ll be there at eleven.”

Hooray, I’m helping!

Maenad

-dictionary.com:

noun

1. bacchante.
  2. a frenzied or raging woman.

-Oxford Dictionaries:

(in ancient Greece) a female follower of Bacchus, traditionally associated with divine possession and frenzied rites.

-Merriam-Webster:

1 : BACCHANTE
2 : an unnaturally excited or distraught woman

-Wordsmyth:

1. (often cap.) in Greek mythology, a woman who takes part in the wild, orgiastic celebrations of Dionysus; bacchante.

2. a woman who is in a rage or frenzy

-Wikipedia.org:

In Greek mythology, maenads (Ancient Greek: μαινάδες, mainádes) were the female followers of Bacchus (Dionysus), the most significant members of the Thiasus, the retinue of Bacchus. Their name literally translates as “raving ones”. Often the maenads were portrayed as inspired by him into a state of ecstatic frenzy, through a combination of dancing and drunken intoxication.[1] In this state, they would lose all self-control, begin shouting excitedly, engage in uncontrolled sexual behavior, and ritualistically hunt down and tear to pieces animals — and, in myth at least, sometimes men and children — devouring the raw flesh. During these rites, the maenads would dress in fawn skins and carry a thyrsus, a long stick wrapped in ivy or vine leaves and tipped by a cluster of leaves; they would weave ivy-wreaths around their heads, and often handle or wear snakes…

-American Heritage Dictionary:

1. Greek Mythology. A woman member of the orgiastic cult of Dionysus.
  2. A frenzied woman.

-Century Dictionary:

1. In Greek myth, a female member of the attendant train of Bacchus; hence, a priestess of Bacchus; one of the women who celebrated the festivals of Bacchus with mad songs and dancing and boisterous courses in gay companies amid the crags of Parnassus and Cithæron, particularly on the occasion of the great triennial Bacchic festival. The mænads supplied a favorite subject to classic art, and are characterized by wearing the nebris, and by the thyrsus and other Dionysiac attributes. Compare Bacchante.
  2. Hence Any woman under the influence of unnatural excitement or frenzy.

1570s, from Gk. mainas (gen. mainados) “priestess of Bacchus,” lit. “madwoman,” from stem of mainesthai “to rage, go mad” (see mania).

-No current Wordcount ranking

-Quote from This Day:

-xtien

obstreperous

-dictionary.com:

adjective

1. resisting control or restraint in a difficult manner; unruly.
  2. noisy, clamorous, or boisterous: obstreperous children

-Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

1 : marked by unruly or aggressive noisiness : CLAMOROUS <obstreperous merriment>
2 : stubbornly resistant to control : UNRULY

-Macmillan Dictionary:

refusing to behave in a reasonable way and sometimes protesting loudly
obstreperous customers/patients/neighbors

-Cambridge Dictionary Online:

too eager to have an argument; difficult to deal with and noisy

-Wordsmyth:

adjective

1. hard to control, as children resisting adult discipline; unruly.
  2. purposely noisy and boisterous

Attended by, or making, a loud and tumultuous noise; clamorous; noisy; vociferous.

-Wordnet 3.0:

1. noisily and stubbornly defiant
  2. boisterously and noisily aggressive

-thesaurus.com:

part of speech: adjective

def: noisy

synonyms: blusterous, boisterous, booming, clamorous, disorderly, loud, out of hand, piercing, raising Cain, raising the roof, rambunctious, riotous, rowdy, screaming, strepitous, tumultuous, unmanageable, unruly, uproarious, vociferious, wild.

c.1600, from L. obstreperus “clamorous”, from obstrepere “drown with noise, oppose noisily,” from ob “against” (see [b]ob-[/b]) + strepere “make a noise,” from PIE *strep-, said to be imitative.

-Wordcount Ranking: 67869

-Quote from This Day:

-Shall we do a bit of history? We shall:

-And finally…somebody’s got a favorite word!

-Oh. What the Hell. One more geek quote:

-xtien

It’s so nice to have independent confirmation that that particular word choice sort of fit at least one of its definitions. Thanks, xtien.

Arise thread. Arise.

Today’s word:

cunctative

Mind yourself as you pronounce that.

-dictionary.com:

adjective
delay

slow; tardy; dilatory; causing delay

-Luciferous Legolepsy:

tardy; dilatory

-The Free Dictionary (dot com):

cunctation- procrastination; delay

-Wiktionary:

(comparative more cunctative, superlative most cunctative)

(rare)inclined to delay

-Legal synonym:

indolent

-Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary for etymology (no entry in the Online Etymology Dictionary):

Latin cunctation-, cunctatio, from cunctari to hesitate; akin to Sanskrit śaṅkate he wavers, Old English hangian to hang

First Known Use: 1585

-Wordcount Ranking: “Cunctative is not currently in the archive.”

-Quote from This Day:

Personal Note: Usually I include the post that the word comes from and link to the thread from which it comes. For today’s word I cannot do that, however. Why you ask? Well, two reasons. First and foremost, the word comes from a PM I received from a dear friend here named krayzkrok. He sent me a message with that word in the subject header, knowing how I love words. And he totally stumped me! Which inspired me to revive this thread. I now love this word, and krayzkrok is a rock star for heading his message with it (and for other, obvious reasons). What a great guy. The second reason? A search of Q23 yields no uses of this word! Not one. So…no quote. Sorry.

Can I find one from somewhere else?

As it turns out, no. But I did find this. So enjoy that.

Thank you, krayzkrok, for introducing me to a word that is brand new to me. Respect.

-xtien

How nice to see this thread necro’ed! I was actually thinking of it earlier today when I came across a word worthy of it that I intend to use in some appropriate spot. “What a pity,” thought I, “that there’s no chance it will ever be mentioned in the Word of the Day thread.” Well, now there’s a chance that it will be.

So happy to see this bumped.

The lack of relevant forum usage is having a cunctative affect on my grasp of using the newest word properly.

Great find! I’d like to see someone in politics use that word.

-Tom

Yeah, Tom, that was a truly slap my fucking head moment for me. Next thing wil be Nicorette gum having to change its name.

My table at this restaurant is awfully cunctative right now. I’m not sure I can handle this much topicality.

Do you think Roger Goodell will say he was cunctative in addressing the domestic violence issue?

Not cunctative so much as tergiversating.

lede

-Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

noun
the introductory section of a news story that is intended to entice the reader to read the full story

-Wiktionary:

bury the lede

(idiomatic, US, journalism) To begin a story with details of secondary importance to the reader while postponing more essential points or facts.

-The Online Etymology Dictionary:

[n.)by 1965, alternative spelling of lead (n.2) in the newspaper journalism sense (see lead (v.)), to distinguish this sense from other possible meanings of the written word, perhaps especially the molten lead (n.1) used in typesetting machines.

-Wordcount Ranking: “Lede is currently not in the archive.”

Quote from This Day:

-xtien

“lede” is such a wonderful word. I love the simplicity and encouragement of brevity. “Bury the lede.” A whole essay of meaning there.

I’ve been reading the Malazan series by Erikson and that guy uses a ton of great words, many of which I have seen or even used without completely understanding their full meaning. The Kindle Paperwhite has a great feature where it remembers words you look up on it, so I have a huge list of fantastic words, I’ll try to grab my Kindle at lunch and post them, some of them are outstanding.

Try Gene Wolfe’s Torturer quadrology. I think these days it is called “The Book of the New Sun.” You definitely need an unabridged dictionary beside you for those novels.

Haven’t read it in a while but wasn’t The Gormenghast Trilogy a bit deep as well?

Interestingly, I’m rereading the last volume in that series right now. Most of the words people stumble over are actually obscure military titles and terms from the ancient world, Rome in particular. If you’re a history buff, it’s not that challenging of a read.