The Q23 Word of the Day

A rule like that would be fatuous and asinine.

Now you are being arbitrary.

From February 26, 2018:

gallimaufry

-The American Heritage Dictionary:

noun

A jumble. Hodgepodge.

-Oxford Dictionaries:

1. A confused jumble or medley of things.
    1.1 US A dish made from diced or minced meat, especially a hash or ragout.

-Merriam-Webster:

hodgepodge. A gallimaufry of opinions.
[First Known Use: 1556]

-Collins English Dictionary:

in British: a jumble; hotchpotch.
C16: from French galimafrée ragout, hash, of unknown origin

in American

1. Archaic a hash made of meat scraps
  2. a hodgepodge; jumble

Origin: Fr galimafrée, prob. < OFr galer (see gallant) + dial. (Picardy) mafrer, to eat much < MDu maffelen

-Vocabulary.com:

a motley assortment of things

Use the noun gallimaufry when you’re talking about a jumbled mix of things. You might describe your family’s traditional Thanksgiving meal as a gallimaufry of Italian, American, and Indian dishes.

Any mishmash of stuff can be called a gallimaufry. You might have a gallimaufry of socks in your drawer, all different colors and sizes and patterns, or a gallimaufry of guests at your birthday party. You could criticize a writer’s short story collection as a gallimaufry of pieces, all with different, mismatched moods and styles. Gallimaufry comes from the French galimafrée, “hash or ragout,” from the Old French calimafree, “unappetizing stew or sauce.”

-Online Etymology Dictionary:

“a medley, hash, hodge-podge,” 1550s, from French galimafrée “hash, ragout, dish made of odds and ends,” from Old French galimafree, calimafree “sauce made of mustard, ginger, and vinegar; a stew of carp” (14c.), which is of unknown origin. Perhaps from Old French galer “to make merry, live well” (see gallant) + Old North French mafrer “to eat much,” from Middle Dutch maffelen [Klein]. Weekley sees in the second element the proper name Maufré. Hence, figuratively, “any inconsistent or absurd medley.”

-Webster’s Dictionary 1828:

noun A hash; a medley; a hodge-podge. [Little used.]

1. Any inconsistent or ridiculous medley.
  2. A woman. [Not in used.]

-Luciferous Logolepsy:

n. - hash of liver and other organs; hotch-potch.

-Wordcount.org:

Not in the archive. Although it is the title of a show, as it turns out.

-Quote from This Day:

-Quote from Another Dude:

-And Another:

-A Final Quote with which I Totally Agree:

-xtien

Huh. I thought it was the planet Dr Who was from.

Ha! I’d like to give the impression that I just have an expansive vocabulary, but in reality, I was looking for the word that describes that thing my sister did in high school, where she’d cut out random pictures from magazines and paste them onto a piece of construction paper according to some theme. (The word for that kind of thing still escapes me, though it annoyingly is sitting right there on the edge of my tongue.) So, I was typing in words to google like “melange”, “hodge podge” and so forth. “Gallimaufry” popped up as a synonym–I liked it and it seemed to fit.

Now that I think about it though, maybe it’s a bit odd that I do google searches to find the correct words for forum posts…

So your word for the day is “collage”. The rest of us will have to make do with gallimaufry.

That’s it! Why couldn’t I think of that?!? Gallimaufry is far better anyway.

This. I get this all the time. But then I look up words for forum posts, too, so maybe there’s some rhyme to it after all.

This isn’t a Word of the Day but a question about a word, or perhaps a search for a word.

Is there a word in English or some other language to describe the feeling of something you had forgotten, but remembered after encountering it again?

I mean, there are lots of things we have all forgotten or can’t recollect. But many of those, if you sit and stare and think long enough, wrack your brain for, you can recall. To put it a bit weirdly, I “remembered i’ve forgotten” this thing - i remember it exists vaguely, but not the details. However there are something I simply have absolutely no memory of whatsoever; i’ve “forgotten i’ve forgotten” them; they’re gone from my memory altogether.

Then, unexpectedly, you encounter that thing again. Suddenly you recall that thing; i.e., move it from Forgotten-Forgotten to Remembered-Forgotten.

I’m not actually convinced that the memory of that thing actually exists in my head though. I think what i’m doing is Remembering I’ve Forgotten it and then “rebuilding” the memory from the information i’ve just received again.

So… is there a word for this?

Evoked or evocative comes to mind. Your post calls to mind Proust.

Other than that I’m suffering from lethologica when it comes to this question.

-xtien

Old age

I certainly have memories that appear to be context-sensitive, or things that will come back to me only when I go to a certain location, smell a certain scent, hear a certain song. I don’t know if that qualifies as something forgotten necessarily, maybe just filed away until the context brings it back?

Ran into a word I hadn’t seen before today (though I’m not particularly well read, to say the least)

tyro
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/tyro

Etymology
From Medieval Latin tyro, tīro (“young soldier, recruit”).

Pronunciation
(UK) IPA(key): /ˈtaɪɹəʊ/
Noun
tyro (plural tyros or tyroes)
A beginner; a novice. [from 17th c.]

1826, Mary Shelley, The Last Man:
I ask if in the calm of their measured reveries, if in the deep meditations which fill their hours, they fill the ecstasy of a youthful tyro in the school of pleasure.

1931, H. P. Lovecraft, The Whisperer in Darkness, chapter 5:
The text, though, was marvellously accurate for a tyro’s work; and I concluded that Akeley must have used a machine at some previous period—perhaps in college.

2002, Colin Jones, The Great Nation, Penguin 2003, p. 171:
Alliance with the equally youthful Jean-le-Rond d’Alembert, tyro mathematician of genius and darling of the Parisian salons, led to the two men commissioning articles for the new venture straight away […].

I don’t know the rules of this thread, if any of us can put a word forward, but I got one: bibimbap.

Context: every morning I get a menu emailed to me for food I can have brought to my office if I’m too busy or just too lazy to get up and find food on my own. Today, a local Korean kitchen is offering bibimbap. I don’t know what it is, but I kind of want to try it because that word is awesome.

Go for it. It is delicious.

So very yummy!

Fair warning, though–it will have an egg on top, cooked only lightly (say, over-easy or poached. In fact I think in really authentic places the egg may be raw). If that is okay with you, then by all means, go for it.

Well, I had a 2 hour meeting over lunchtime today and missed my chance. Maybe next time.

I had a thought, and this seemed like the best place for it. Today I re-encountered a word: beerlight.

You’ve probably heard the news that David Berman of the Silver Jews died this week, apparently of a suicide. I wasn’t familiar with much of their music, and came across the song “Punks in the Beerlight.” And I got to thinking about that word, beerlight, it’s evocative but you don’t really encounter it much.

I think the first time I heard the word was in another song, David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust. “Just the beer light to guide us”, it goes.

So it must be a real thing, but I wonder what exactly it is? Most people online think it’s those neon signs you see at bars, you know the ones that say “BUD” or something. But that seems insufficient to me, there’s lots of neon signs for lots of things and most people just call them, you know, neon signs.

So anyway, this is what I’m thinking about.

“Dirty deeds and the Dunder Chief.”