The QT3 Artifact Draft Tournament - Holiday 2018

Here it is – The very first Quarter to Three Artifact Tournament!

Format: Best-of-One Phantom Draft
16-player cap

Here’s how it works:

• Register for the tournament by Friday night at 5pm PST here: https://www.playartifact.com/tournament/?invitekey=10372205720624427176
  • After you have registered, you can draft your deck. You only get one chance to do this, so if you need to do some practice drafts, do them ahead of time.
  • After everyone’s deck has been drafted and registered, you’ll get a pairing, and you’ll play that person in a timely fashion.
  • After everyone has played their assigned game, we’ll get a new round with new pairings, and we’ll repeat until the game has declared a winner.
  • Everything is handled within Steam and the game client - We’ll have a tournament-specific chat room, and pairings will be handled by the client.

There are no special rules. If there are any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them and append them to the bottom of this post.

This is a trial run. If it’s successful, we can look at making this a recurring thing or even expanding out to other formats.

Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks for organizing this. I’ve already accepted your invitation. I sent an invite to Tim, too. If people want to friend me, I’m Spock on Steam.

Edit: I’m guessing we can’t start drafting until invites are closed. Four people are in now; let’s see how many we get! Really looking forward to it, even if I don’t last long. :)

I’m also in, and also appreciate you setting it up, and am also looking forward to it, and…!

It appears that way. So I’ve set an arbitrary time limit for registration – til the end of the week. Use the time to practice those drafts!

Participant number 5! Thanks for the invite @Spock.

I predict the winner will be the person lucky enough to get Axe or Drow in their draft.

How does one figure out the time to play the matches. I’m in the EU and probably in a different time zone than most of you. I would love to join but am hesitant because it might be hard to figure out when to play my matches against people on the other side of the world.

I’m not in (don’t own the game), but I would watch a stream of these matches if any of them are recorded/streamed.

If anybody does this, linkz plz.

I’m in AUS which is an even weirder timezone. Hopefully there’ll be a way to work it out given sufficient time.

In my experience with the RTS tournaments, it hasn’t been a huge problem organizing a match with folks from Europe or Asia. Usually it just means one of the parties is playing right before bed or right after waking up. I’d say to go for it!

So we’re up to 9 contestants now – pretty good! Since we’re using Swiss format, I guess we’d need 16 entrants for four rounds. What happens if we end up with a number between 9 and 16? Do some people get byes? (If we end up with exactly 9 or 17, I suppose I’d be willing to withdraw if it would make tournament pairings easier.)

I set the number of rounds to “default.” I think that means it will keep adding rounds until there’s a clear winner. I’m also assuming that an odd number of players will lead to byes, but I’m hoping that doesn’t cause too much consternation. As I have mentioned, there’s not very much documentation on this mode, so some of this is me learning by experimentation.

The player cap is a conservative 16 because I wasn’t sure how many people we had playing.

Just over a day left to register (although I think we’ve got all the people who were planning to participate anyway)!

Looks like we’re gonna roll with an even ten – very nice!

I’ll close registration after I put the kid to bed tonight. After registration is closed, you will be able to draft and register your deck.

The beauty of the game running the tournament is that we can set deadlines for things, but if everyone’s ready before that deadline, the game will just roll us into the next thing. Another beautiful thing about Artifact’s tournaments is that it automatically creates a Steam chat group for the tournament and adds everyone to it.

So let’s shoot to have everyone drafted and registered by the end of the weekend at the latest. Once everyone is drafted, first round pairings will automatically be set up. You and your opponent are mutually responsible for figuring out when to play your match. You can do this via whatever means you’d like, although I’d recommend the aforementioned Steam chat group – it’s accessible in-game or at the bottom of your Steam friends list.

I’d like to go with a rough deadline of one week per round. So if first pairings will be set by the end of this weekend, let’s assume we have until the end of NEXT weekend to play the first match. If everyone finishes their matches early, we’ll have a new round with new pairings right away. I’ll try to keep an eye on that and update this thread when there’s a new round starting – that will be everyone’s notice that we then have one week to schedule and play your next round.

It’s a little muddy, and the holidays are just gonna play hell with everyone’s schedule anyway, so I hope we can all be graceful and accommodating. Nothing’s at stake here other than bragging rights.

So good luck - may you all pull great cards with wonderful synergies!

Registration is now closed! We finished up with 11, which means someone gets a bye each round.

Good luck drafting!

Paging @delirium @Dirklectisch @wilykat for drafting!

Hmm… Was pretty sure I drafted the other day. I will investigate shortly.

You have to draft and build your deck and submit it before you’re done. I just did mine.

Deck is registered!

Aaaaaaand we’re live! Round 1 is up. You’ve got one week to organize and play your first match.

We had one drop, so we’re at a nice even ten! GLHF!

Great!

@delirium, it looks like you and I get to rumble in round 1! I can usually play in the afternoon and evening Eastern (US) time. (Should we be arranging this sort of thing by PM, @SadleyBradley? Or would you rather we post out in the open?)