The Qt3 Top 10 Games of the Decade Voting Thread

1. Europa Universalis IV. On the Chess board of Paradox games, Europa Universalis is the King. Which I guess makes Crusader Kings the Queen? and Victoria the Bishop? Or the Rook? ehhh, I’m getting out of this tortured analogy while I still can.

2. Total War: Warhammer 2. This is the Platonic ideal of what I imagined Warhammer Fantasy Battles would be as I spent long evenings at the local Warhammer store sending my Bretonnian cavalry against lines of rats. Plus the battles are just metal and I love taking screenshots.

3. Diablo 3. This game was released 3 times for me - when it first came out, when they brought in the Necromancer and when it hit the Switch. Each time it sucked me in completely.

4. Command Ops 2. One of the things I love doing with this game is making little AARs with lots of arrows pointing everywhere. Perfect WW2 game for doing that.

5. RimWorld. This is one of the games I would boot up just to have the soundtrack playing.

1. Pillars of Eternity. This is a game that felt like it took me the entire decade to play. From following the kickstarter campaign, to following production updates to release to my multiple failures to try get into the game until it finally clicked for me. My constant companion for lo these many years, I can give no higher praise than it is a 60 hour RPG I actually finished.

2. Minecraft. It’s funny how the mind works - one thing I discovered when playing this was the part of my brain that dealt with 3 dimensional space in the game was a completely different to the part of my brain that listened to people speaking. For a few years back in the early 2010s, I loved nothing more than to fire up a Qt3 game or movie podcast and listen to that while tootling around making ugly houses in Minecraft.

3. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. This is one of my top games because I loved the whole Uncharted saga and it would make my top anything list.

4. Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Bruce’s game diary ( Excuse me, which train goes to Voroshilovgrad?) got me hooked into this game. Not quite as good as Command Ops 2 for drawing little arrows everywhere - but still excellent.

5. Dark Souls. To be honest I liked Demon’s Souls more but it was just outside the window. I’m playing through this again on the Switch and like Diablo 3, that has given the game a whole new lease on life for me like I’m playing again for the first time.