The Qt3 Top 10 Games of the Decade Voting Thread

The same screen from GOG Galaxy will capture everything…

Couldn’t see a way to filter for last 10 years at the same time though.

Maybe i shouldn’t comment…i probably put in well over two hundred hours into Diablo 3 now that I think of it.

The first two are on point, but then neither Skyrim, nor Fallout 4 or AC Odyssey would be anywhere near my top ten. Dying Light is pretty close though, so is Manking Divided…and New Vegas with Sleeping Dogs are in it.

And I was playing RDR2 Online today…it kills me how beautiful this game is, I just can not get enough.

People whose top ten lists don’t include their top ten most played games is a perfect example of stated preferences v revealed preferences.

Well a lot of games don’t have to last 60 hours to be good.

Yeah, I reject the premise that just because you spend more time playing game X than game Y, that you enjoyed it more. For one thing, there are other factors (convenience, how much concentration you can spare, etc.), and for another thing, you might spend 100 hours on a low-intensity fun CCG but get super absorbed in a 20-hour shooter, or whatever. Hell sometimes you play games because you feel like you have to (I’m looking at you, MMOs!) and that’s when it might be time for self-examination. The psychology of game playing is complex.

Also some people aren’t able or willing to call a closure with some games thriving on our inner OCDs (Hey Ubi!).

And if you’re feeling lazy it’s easier to just keep on playing a game where you’re already familiar with the interface etc.

It’s more like the difference between Oscars vs. movies that sell tickets. You can value something and marvel at an industry changer but still spend like 600 hours in Rimworld. edit. oh wow almost 1k hours on Rimworld.

I chose the ones I enjoy that I think made an impact, not the games I just played the most.

I think 6 from my top 10 and King Arthur would have been in there too if it had been from this decade :)

Wow, just look at Paul’s list. No ARPGs (like Diablo, Path of Exile or Grim Dawn), no racing games, and no strategy games. So your top 10 total hours would fit in my top 3 games’ hours. Man, I really need to implement that rule so I can get caught up on my backlog.

On the other @Alistair disproves my theory. He has 3 strategy games in there, but they’re not gigantic time sinks, apparently.

I’m looking at the differential on my own estimated lists. To disambiguate it into confounding effects, I would not say it is a result of “stated preferences vs revealed preferences”. It’s mostly just - are my friends playing this game or not, and does it support grinding or not. So in that sense, the number one game of this decade and all following decades is: Hanging out with Friends

I agree and this is especially true if you like a boardgame. No way hours played on a boardgame will come close to a PC/Video game but there are some boardgames I really enjoyed just couldn’t always get people to play them as easily.

There are some games I enjoyed watching some family members play such as Witcher 3 even though I never played through it myself.

In my case I really just play though strategy titles once. I don’t play different permutations or skirmishes, just whatever the campaign is. Anything like a hiking sim, and I’ll be in there forever though :)

I’ve got the same pattern of endless multiplayer games racking up loads of hours. Compounded in my case by several titles with async multiplayer modes, where I would just leave the game idling for hours at a time in between turns rather than having to relaunch it every time.

Duel of Champions and Blood Bowl are the highest legit non-idle totals. Both were good, but benefited from coming out when I had more free time than in recent years.

Nioh, AoW3, Monster Hunter World, Might & Magic X, NieR: Automata, and DmC are all cases where the high playtime actually matches up perfectly with my list selections, and King Arthur would have been on there if it hadn’t missed the cutoff by coming out in 2009.

Spelunky and Desktop Dungeons didn’t feel right to include when I played more of their original freeware incarnations before the decade started.

That leaves Darkest Dungeon, Hex: Shards of Fate, and Battletech as the biggest remaining hour totals that didn’t make the top-10. I loved them all, though, and they certainly would have been in the top 20.

Mine looks like this from Steam stats…looking it at just makes me mad at how bad Sword of the Stars 2 was :(

I guess I like OOTP.

I’ve got close to 1800 hours in NGU Idle, a game that I spend maybe ten minutes a day actually “playing.”

lol

Civ V was left running overnight 2-3 times. AdVenture Capitalist is literally an idle game that just runs in the background. I played videogames so, so little this decade :(

@Chappers won’t contradict me when I say it seems you like the 20th edition 50% better than the 19th.