The random software projects thread

In the beer thread, I talked about my latest hobby, homebrewing. There’s lots of brew tracking software out there, and a good bit of wireless hardware, but in many cases the software does more (or less) than I want it to, and the hardware doesn’t look like it’ll fit in my brewing setup.

Remote data is doubly important to me. My brewing is a joint venture with a friend, and since he has a basement and I don’t, the beers-in-progress live at his place. I’d like to be able to check up on them. Mostly what I want is a system to measure specific gravity over time. For the hardware side, I plan to crib heavily from the iSpindle, which measures the density of the fermenting beer by measuring the tilt of a cylindrical float with a weight at the bottom. (I would build an iSpindle without modification, but it’s too wide to fit through the neck of my carboy.) There’s a popular little wifi-enabled microcontroller with deep-sleep capability which is common in these sorts of applications.

On the user-facing side of things, I plan to have a Go web app as a back end and a Vue.js front end. I’ve been doing a lot with both at work lately, so I figure there’s no reason to reinvent the wheel. (Besides all the wheels I’m already re-inventing.) As projects go, I’m really looking forward to this one.