The Ravenous (Les Affamés) -- New Quebecois Zombie Film

This film just came out a couple of weeks ago on Netflix, and you shouldn’t miss it if you’re a fan of horror. It’s set in a pastoral area of Quebec, and has a few new ideas for the zombie genre. The tension is excellent and the characters are likeable. I’m hoping Netflix starts doing a better job spotlighting its new releases, as I almost missed this one.

Watchlisted, thanks!

I started watching it but gave up after maybe 15-20 minutes. Just didn’t work for me at all.

Des cerveaux… des cerveauuuuux…

Si, dos cervezas por favor! Anyway, I’ve heard good things about this movie as well, definitely adding to my queue. And maybe some day I’ll even watch it!

Come ON, people! 93% on Rotten Tomatoes!

“What makes “The Ravenous” so unique, arresting and ultimately quite moving is the allusive and elliptical style of Hubert’s storytelling, and his ability to smoothly maneuver through tonal shifts from pensive and regretful to horrific and hyperventilating . . . Stretches of intense human interaction are interspersed with moments of low-key humor that are gentle, even sweet, and dramatically potent zombie assaults that are all the more jolting for their contrapuntal chaos and abruptness.”

“the director favors a more eclectic approach that’s equal parts George Romero, Robert Bresson and Monty Python.”

Thanks for the tip on this. I got to watch this yesterday, and it is interesting, as we see a different, unexpected type of Zombie behavior. I enjoyed it.

Yeah, we watched it the other night and enjoyed it too. Some very odd zombie behaviour but we liked the characters.

I can’t find it on Canadian Netflix.

Tom says he watched this on the A Quiet Place podcast. Comments time!

Saw this on the plane over to Japan. Really enjoyed it.

Yeah this was quite solid. I don’t know why you couldn’t get into it @rowe33 I’ve seen wayyy worse zombie movies than this.

At minimum it was worth it to see the jump scare goofus get his just desserts. That was awesome.

Watched this the other day and quite enjoyed it, as much for the prolonged exposure to Quebecois French as anything. Between this and The Girl With All The Gifts, I wonder what’s behind the recent addition to zombie lore that they’re obsessed with building towers.

Thanks for the reminder that maybe I should give this one another chance, past the opening 10 minute sor so. Will give it a go soon.

Ah, good catch. Don’t they do something similar in Cell? Seems the idea is that there’s some sort of collective consciousness or hive mind uniting them. That’s an interesting change from the idea of zombies as mindless appetite.

-Tom

Oh, so they’re like Siren shibito, except probably not as cool?

Also thought it was quite interesting that there was an emphasis on keeping quiet given we watched The Ravenous shortly before A Quiet Place.

Didn’t watch Cell, so I can’t say. It’s more than just a hive mind, though. Plenty of movie monsters do the hive mind thing without building towers (Slither, for instance). Also, in Ravenous it’s not clear that it is actually a hive mind, rather than, say, a shared memory/impulse, a la Dawn of the Dead.

This review suggests it’s an oblique reference to Quebecois fears of foreign cultural influence, particularly Islam. But then again it’s in a Toronto paper.

They do this in World War Z, too. I think it’s modeled off watching ant behavior.

Wow. That reads like casual racism. Everyone has jumped on the zombie bandwagon, but if they do it, it’s because of islamophobia.