The Real Dark Souls *spoiler* thread starts here

Once you place the lordvessel you are locked into a path.

How does the path for the chaos pact work? I got the Covenant up to the second level after 30 humanity contributions, and it registered the upgrade, but said nothing with respect to a path to New Izalith.

That was the sad sack knight from Firelink. He went hollow as soon as he left, just as he feared he would.

I believe you have to get it to the third level for the shortcut.

Nothing is said, you only need to be second level. You simply have to walk to the door that is in the room with the Demon Firesage. On the wall is a broken bit with a drop down to chaos bugs (good for sunlight medals btw). At the end of the hall is a giant door that opens to the bridge in Lost Izalith. Can skip the whole area.

What’s up with the concrete wall to the left of the chaos covenant spider lady? I assumed that was the shortcut?

Thought so too, turns out that is where Kirks Armour (the thorny one) shows up if you defeat him three times. Thats it though, it doesn’t open.

Guys, what would be good armor and shield to upgrade for an Int based char? I am lvl 65 or so but haven’t upgraded any armor yet, fearing I’ll upgrade something useless. :) Especially after the patch.

It really depends on your Endurance stat. Wear the heaviest armor you can while remaining under 50%. I pumped my Int to 50 and End to 30 on my character, and I wore the Armor of Favor with a Bloodshield and Moonlight Greatsword. Before the Moonlight I used Channeler’s Trident or a Lightning Winged Spear, with a Sorcerer Catalyst as the alternate weapon because it had the highest magic adjust. My rings were Ring of Favor and Protection, because it rules, and either the Sorcery Boost ring or that green ring that doubles your stamina regen.

I had about a 50/50 PvP success rate with this character, and I was able to wreck most bosses. The ones that gave me a lot of trouble were 4 Kings and Nito. I had to summon 2 helpers to clear Nito, and to beat 4 kings I had to equip full havels, 2 hand my spear and just DPS/estus it as fast as I could.

Edit: I will also add I did not google anything in advance, I wanted to experience Dark Souls blindly. That really adds to the wonderfulness of this game. My first character was a thief and I built her up poorly and she could not progress at all in the 3rd act, so I started over and did some optimizing.

An important stat to look at is poise, since you want to be able to continue your attacks without being knocked around as much as possible. Consider a stable shield with as much poise as you can muster for your endurance capacity, although you may situationally need to adjust to a particular threat (ie curse resistance for Seath, etc).

My wife has had great luck with parts of Ornstein’s armor and the heaviest shield her character can wield (currently Havel’s!), and I tend to privilege armor (mostly Havel’s and Black iron as weight permits) over the shield itself (although I have still gone with the relatively heavy Eagle Shield as my primary). Both approaches seem to give you a variety of options in different scenarios if you want to make sure your defense is as strong as possible, since the ability to carry all your crap with you means you can swap in bits as needed to free up weight for a weapon or what have you.

Now that twinkling titanite is easy to farm and even easier to buy, it’s not a big deal to have a variety of armors pumped up and ready to go with only a modest investment of time running around Anor Londo (interestingly, for those of us that prefer not to engage the big guys directly it only takes 2 poison arrows apiece to poison them if you hit them below the knee as opposed to 3 for elsewhere).

2nd Level or in ingame terms - Chaos Servant +2.

There is no notification whatsoever. The shortcut is a door that you can open in the Demon Ruins prior to the second boss, after Ceaseless Discharge.

Ah good. Thanks Hawkeye and Roguefrog as well. Does that door stay open if you don’t access it before breaking the pact? I was asking because the next thing I want to do is get the Forest Covenant items but if I have to push through past Ceaseless Bullshit before doing that, then so be it.

You have to open the door so you have to access it. Once it is open, it never closes for that playthrough so you can ditch the covenant at that point.

Ok thanks.

For someone who hasn’t played the game, this page is practically gibberish.

Do you know he’s a gimick fight? He’s one of the easiest bosses in the game if you use it- and I’m pretty sure it’s what they expect you to do to defeat him. He’s extremely tough (well he was for me) until I figured it out.

Near where you grab the armor, there’s an offshoot that leads you back to the original cliff - it’s a very short “L” shaped cut through the wall. When I first got to him I thought that must have something to do with defeating him but I was trying to use the side you find the armor on and kept getting killed due to his fire blast thing so I assumed I had to go toe-to-toe with him. After a dozen or so failed attempts I went back to the offshoot and tried the other side (the one that is on the original side you come in on). There he flops his arm down at you but doesn’t do his fire blast thingy. That’s the side to use. You can just poke your head out at him in the hallway and he’ll flop his tentacle in there (run away before he does, around the corner) and after he does you whack it a few times and repeat until he’s dead. It’s simple once you do that. Almost no danger too.

Oh you’ll understand soon…they all do…nee hee hee hee hee

Ah, thanks. I’d been trying to run back to the entrance to get him to fall which kept resulting in fiery death.

You can also get a shield with high fire block, and high stability. Block whatever attack he goes for, then do some damage when the tentacle is available. Heal up as needed. If you’re patient, it will work. I like to engage him on the long straight ledge you start on. Have him targeted when you’re blocking to make sure you’re facing. Un-target to attack.

Yeah, in retrospect it should be pretty trivial now than when I staggered in there just to get the armor back in the day. It just annoyed me at the time because I’d heard about the “glitch” kill and was all psyched for an easy bypass and it was just not to be.