The Real Dark Souls *spoiler* thread starts here

I was rocking Tomb of the Giants at soul level 30 in my first playthrough. I had to climb myself out of that hell hole. (No Lordvessal)

Don’t feel too bad, I did the exact same thing during my playthrough.

You make me feel rather lame. I’m at soul level 75 or so, and I don’t even know where Tomb of the Giants is. :>

Yeah I delved right into the tomb around level 30 too. It just felt like the correct area to do next after catacombs. I actually managed to get the divine ember in that pit of skeletons by cheesing them from above with fireballs.

Worth noting that different classes of shields behave differently – LK mentions Eagle Shield, which is considered a large shield. Enemies attacking against that shield will bounce off if you block – other shields they don’t. So it’s not only stability that matters.

I don’t know – I got the info mostly from a friend who played a lot with high poise. But I assume you could use the poise ring to measure the difference. But I think it’s less of a reduction and more of a negation – I’ve seen it fire once in a while, and basically I get hit at the right time and it does a half-inch of damage instead of three inches. Random guestimation.

I did catacombs nearly last. Those unkillable skeletons chased me off.

First time I did catacombs with my thief Astora’s Straight Sword was my main weapon, which happens to be divine, so I had no idea the skeletons re-animated.

I am also about 75 and although I know where it is (even got killed there once about 30 levels ago), I keep postponing my trip there. I just didn’t like it there. :) Plus I want to get that helm that provides light.

Yesterday, I felt kind of sad having to kill Big Hat Logan. The game has so few sane NPCs and that one in particular was kinda cool.

After getting my Moonlight Greatsword, I realised that I’ve never been to Ash lake and I need dragon scales from there. So that’s where I am going today!

Is there a way to decrease the amount of stamina eaten when you swing a sword? That Moonlight sword surely eats a lot.

Nope. Just more points in endurance.

I guess I finished up the Catacombs when I took down Pinwheel, turned out to be a pretty easy fight overall but I’m wondering if I just overleveled the area (around level 70, +5 lightning spear, +5 divine iato). Which I guess means Tomb of Giants is next.

How much of a pain in the ass is it? Is it worth trying for the spelunking maggot helmet or is it really not too bad with the skull lantern and no shield?

I have 16 or so humanity, could get a few more in the duke archives (irritating to play through but wow, I love the idea and style of that prison… really close second to the prison in DS1) to get to +2 chaos covenant (already +1), unlock a shortcut, and try for that helmet if that would save a ton of trouble.

You could get by with the skull lantern but what really helps is getting the light spell, you only need 14 int for it. You are about as overleveled as I was (I just finished it). I found it pretty easy myself, only the very last area before the boss was tough. Of course I was overleveled like you and had the light spell. :)

Once trick with the light spell I stumbled on by accident. Once you’re at the bonfire, cast it then immediately rest at the bonfire. You’ll get your cast back and the light spell will still be active. Every little bit helps. :)

The maggot helm and the light spell are about the same, and both make it so much less difficult. The skull lantern works fine, too, but unless you’re really good at dodging, you might be swapping it back and forth with your shield. Effectively you end up navigating with light to the next scary giant skeleton thing, then swapping to your shield and fighting it in the dark, trying to remember where exactly the ledges are so you don’t roll off.

The lantern also makes the walls glow blue, giving you an idea of where you’re supposed to go (the light spell and maggot helm don’t do this). It’s not that useful but it looks kinda cool.

You can also mark your path with Prism Stones if you have no access to lights.

I beat blighttown today and I didn’t hate it. The most annoying part was actually getting down to the swamp from the depths. Catacombs weren’t bad after that either. Think I outleveled pinwheel too and I’m only in my 40s.

Productive day for me, beat Nito and then got the 4 Kings in my first attempt.

Being Soul Level 66, Havels Armor and Iron Flesh helped a bit. ;)

Working on the Archives now. Funny I got to Seath with like 1/5 health and no Estus. Died on the second crystal wave then poof, I’m in a jail cell. That worked out neat. I didn’t know that was going to happen.

Is there any way to kill him on that first attempt? I didn’t survive long enough to even hit him.

No, you can’t beat scaleless in that first encounter.

I lost 60,000 souls to the first encounter. The only message warning was “Amazing Trap Ahead”

The reason I did the Catacombs (which was tough!) and Tomb of the Giants (which was beyond me!) so early is the little event with the Petrus and Reah that happens very early in the game. I took that as a call to action to descend into the catacombs to find her and her companions way before I should have. I ultimately succeeded but I don’t recommend it.

Pinwheel is one of the easiest bosses in the game. I beat him on the first try. Fire destroys him.

Well, he does go insane in the archives…if you talk to him after defeating Seath he just mumbles…but yeah, the game has these NPCs that seem like your friends, and maybe they are for a little while. But eventually, they all succumb to corruption or being hollow (just about all, at least).

Yeah, all the rescued NPCs can go hallow. Plus Onion Knight and Sunlight Knight.

You can prevent this in some cases. For Laurentius, you just say No when he asks where you learned chaos pyromancy. For Solaire you have to open up the shortcut to Lost Izalith and kill all the bugs. For Onion Knight, it depends on how you handle his encounter in Lost Izalith.