The Real Dark Souls *spoiler* thread starts here

Finally put Dark Souls to rest last night. 3 builds and 250 hours later, it’s time to play something else. The natural choice…Demon’s Souls obviously! I’m trying to do a wiki free run, so here’s my stray observations so far.

-The manual is great! It actually explains the concepts of the Dark Souls that had me flummoxed or did not even know existed. Like, speed vs equipment burden, different types of damage, etc.
-It plays a little slower, and all the character models look like clay or butter. The environments are pretty awesome looking though.
-Wheres all my armour choice? I thought I found some awesome duds for my char, and they weren’t for my gender…angry fist slam with smile towards FROM, those bastards.
-My melee skills accrued in DkS, and basic upgrade knowledge has made the opening areas immensely easier. 5 hours in, and I’ve knocked off the first two areas of each zone.
-From reading this thread I had an idea of how the Maiden in Black would sound, but I was totally unprepared for how ridiculous she sounds. My girlfriend ran in from across the apartment when she heard the line about touching the demon inside her. I half expect the Maiden to tell me to “Rise from my gwaaaave!”

All in all, pretty excited to get more Souls game time in, even if Demons Souls:Dark Souls as Evil Dead:Evil Dead 2, a remake with higher production values, better art, and the same set pieces give or take.

Finally put Dark Souls to rest last night. 3 builds and 250 hours later, it’s time to play something else. The natural choice…Demon’s Souls obviously! I’m trying to do a wiki free run, so here’s my stray observations so far.

-The manual is great! It actually explains the concepts of the Dark Souls that had me flummoxed or did not even know existed. Like, speed vs equipment burden, different types of damage, etc.
-It plays a little slower, and all the character models look like clay or butter. The environments are pretty awesome looking though.
-Wheres all my armour choice? I thought I found some awesome duds for my char, and they weren’t for my gender…angry fist slam with smile towards FROM, those bastards.
-My melee skills accrued in DkS, and basic upgrade knowledge has made the opening areas immensely easier. 5 hours in, and I’ve knocked off the first two areas of each zone.
-From reading this thread I had an idea of how the Maiden in Black would sound, but I was totally unprepared for how ridiculous she sounds. My girlfriend ran in from across the apartment when she heard the line about touching the demon inside her. I half expect the Maiden to tell me to “Rise from my gwaaaave!”

All in all, pretty excited to get more Souls game time in, even if Demons Souls:Dark Souls as Evil Dead:Evil Dead 2, a remake with higher production values, better art, and the same set pieces give or take.

I don’t want to spoil anything but there’s tons of stuff the manual doesn’t tell you that is once again completely arbitrary, opaque and/or obtuse. In many ways the game is less forgiving of mistakes and has less indication of various systems or features.

Dirty dirty lie, I ran that thing so many times naked only to be blasted with an arrow 80% of the way there. No I didn’t stop.

I finally made it when dressed in my full less than 50% weight armor.

Taken out of context, that’s pretty funny.

I think I must have gotten lucky. I had so little trouble with those archers that I don’t even remember what I did to get past them.

Hm. Perhaps I had Hidden Body up?

I actually got past them by luck completely accidentally on my first try. I got an arrow in the back, but shoved one of them off, and ran around the corner.

Then I got killed looking for the next bonfire (yes, it’s right there. I know that now). And it took me 10 or so attempts to make it up there again.

Adding a flame effect to your kicking motion when you’re wearing the orange charred ring was a nice surprise.

That was me too, except change “got killed” to “got summoned for a darkmoon invasion and got killed.”

If I kill Seath before rescuing Logan is he gone forever? That sucks if true. He wasn’t in his cage at the bottom of the Archives.

Shouldn’t be, on my first playthrough I missed Logan in the fortress and didn’t rescue him until after beating seath. When that happened I found him in the room he sets up shop near the bonfire before you go outside to the area before the crystal caves.

Same here–I missed the key to his cell until after I had killed Seath. He showed up in the appropriate place of his own accord. The hat makes him a bit hard to spot, though. I ran past him at least twice before figuring out he was there.

A tip on Logan: You need to buy all his spells (including ones you already own) if you want the last spell that can be acquired from him.

Do you think they will ever make a port to the PC for this game? It seems like it would make a good PC game to, huh?

Four kings were really easy with sl 70ish, full crystalline armor, and a +15 iaiato. I guess I may have been overleveled. Gwynn is still kicking my ass, though.

No. Never.

I’m watching a speed clear of the Japanese version of the game by a guy named Twilight and the sprint through the tomb of the giants blind was extremely impressive. The guy’s played for an hour and Nito and Seath are down.

I wouldn’t say you were overleveled, but you definitely sound like you had the right gear/build for it. I would consider being human and disconnected from the internet to summon Solaire to get you over the Gwyn hump (if his incandescent grossness has survived so far). That allowed me to commit fully to ending the game and kill all the npcs for humanity and items.

finally visited painted world and noticed something “wonderful”

wrath of the gods + painted world of ariamis = pretty silly farming.

>9000 souls / 30sec

Apologies for the late reply, but that exact strategy has worked for me every single time I’ve fought them. I keep a shield up, because you can expect to take one hit when you no longer have the angle of attack causing them to miss their shots (IE, when they’re dead on to you), but it has worked well enough that they’ve never killed me.

I beat the game last night. Level 81, just over 60 hours. Gwynn was pretty easy after I took a few days off from my first attempt. Just keep a rock in between you and him and you usually have time to heal up if he manages to poke you a bit. Slow and steady - don’t be greedy and go for hits you aren’t sure of - worked pretty well. A gravelord sent disasters at me when I almost had him down but I never got a chance to see what that did. I became a dark lord at the end but I’m not sure what that means.

I was expecting to hate Blighttown and Lost Izalith based on some of the comments here, but I didn’t really mind either area. My biggest problems with the game were the aforementioned 4 blacksmith system, Centipede Demon, and the reuse of the Asylum demon as a boss three times. As far as I can tell, Demon Firesage and Stray Demon are exactly the same boss with a slightly different room geography.

Other than that, fantastic game. Maybe I’ll replay Demon Souls to try to remember how they compare.

I can’t lie, I always cheap the archers to death.

I sprint up like most do. The moment I reach the top alongside the wall, I run to the archer on the right until he switches to melee. I also do a roll at some point because the archer on the left gets a clear shot… I think if you roll one second after you hear the shot you’re guaranteed to duck it. Anyway, having suckered the right archer into melee mode, I jog (not sprint, I want to keep the right archer in melee mode so I need him to stay close) back to the center bulwark.

My plan was to lure him back down to the room that had the gargoyles so that I could fight him one-on-one. But no, without fail, the knight always falls to his death before I can even reach the tower in the center of the bulwarks. I have no idea if he takes an errant sword swing that carries him over the edge, or if his pathfinding AI is broke, or what.

Then it’s a simple matter of doing the same to the other archer. I had to try it several times because I couldn’t believe how easy it made this encounter - it worked every time.