The Real Dark Souls *spoiler* thread starts here

Put a couple good hours into this over the weekend (1st playthrough still…I’m slow), and among other things, I cleared New Londo, solo’d 4 kings and Seath. I’m getting pretty close to the point that I just decide to make the final push to the end of the game. Killing Seath wasn’t much, since I’ve gotten him a handful of times as a phantom, but I did manage to get the moonlight greatsword before offing him, so I’m happy about that (not that I can use it…)

I’m at level 75, so maybe over-leveled, but the 4 kings were surprisingly easy. I did read a FAQ ahead of time to see that heavy armor was the recommended approach, so I threw on Havel’s armor and just waded in otherwise unprepared. I think my +5 Silver Knight Sword is the best investment I made in the whole game. After realizing my basic attack wasn’t hitting them, I just used R2 and the overhead slash did the job.

When I realized where the giant New Londo doors led, I was pretty dumbfounded. Their world design is just so fantastic, making everything fit together so tightly. I couldn’t be more impressed. I also tried using the Darkroot Basin / Valley of Drakes as my bonfire into Lower New Londo. It probably isn’t easier than going through upper Londo, but it avoids the ghosts, which is convenient. After a couple attempts, I managed to make it through only killing 2 drakes, and running past the other 3.

So, I think I’m down to Nito and Lost Izalith at this point (been delaying on Izalith since I wasn’t sure if I wanted to take the shortcut and save Solaire.)

I also picked up Ornstein’s Armor on a whim, and dammit, it’s rather better than anything else I have. It’s a little too…clean looking for me, and the lion helmet is just so earnest, but I’m wearing it for the time being.

I also made a Fire Flamberge, just for fun. Not sure I have any reason to use it either though. My packrat nature is showing…

Trophies! Or cheevos if that’s your bag.

I finally got my platinum trophy.

Getting everything in this game is very complicated, even more so than in Demon’s Souls.

Some difficult points:

• Smoug and Ornstein in NG+ und NG++. I had to beat them a third time because I only read later that you have to kill them in different order to get both souls. As I never find anyone to coop in this game, I had to kill them alone. In NG++ I had Solaire but he always died as soon as we killed the fatty and - funnily enough - both are easier to fight than only one. Besides I did run out of humanity.

• Gwyn in NG+. Holy crap is he hard! You really have to rely on a specific tactic to beat him. I tried to parry and riposte him to death as I did in NG but I couldn’t get it to work. I needed to do it 5-6 times but I always screwed up at some point. I eventually beat him with a high poise equip which relied on staggering him after 2 hits. I can’t remember if I ever beat a harder boss than him in all my gaming career.

• Cutting the tail of Seath the Scaleless in NG+. Don’t want to talk about it.

• Farming for a titanite slab. I found getting a pure bladestone in Demon’s Souls easier than this. I must have killed a hundred Darkwraith - or more. I originally wanted to get a slab from the Chatharina knights but I screwed their event chain up because Siegmeyer - of course - got killed by these weird creatures in Lost Izalith.

• Getting all miracles: You have to join almost all covenants and level some of them. Pain in the ass.

I normally don’t go for platinum or trophies at all but these Soul games are kind of an obsession.

Hah, I’m trying for this too, and I think I can do it in my next round (NG++). I never care about getting all achievements, but I have an unquenchable thirst for Dark Souls to be the one exception in my profile. I’m down to just needing a couple of rare weapons: one I have no choice but to go into NG++ to get (Sif’s soul is needed 3 times) and one because I was stupid in NG and used Quelaag’s soul for souls (do’h!). Since I’m a melee character, gathering all the miracles and sorceries is going to be my main focus in NG++, since I’m way behind on that.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. I still need to wrap up NG+ - New Londo, Demon Ruins, Lost Izalaith and Gywn still remain.

I kept getting my ass kicked by the four kings on my level 82 sorcerer, and getting beat up by the damn darkwraiths on my way to them. In my frustration I’ve restarted with a melee cleric build (with pyromancy to supplement). We’ll see how long that lasts. I at least need to train my melee skills.

Those silver knight archers in Anor Londo…the ring of fog works wonders with them. I’m invisible for the first part, then I dart up the last stretch and one shot the guy on the right with a soul spear.

How do people typically get the Ring of Fog on their first run? I managed to get 2 skull lanterns (it’s apparently a rare drop from the necromancers in the catacombs?), and traded one with snuggly, but I don’t know how I was supposed to get one otherwise.

I got mine via the Forest Hunters covenant. I lost a lot more PvP matches than I won, that’s for sure, but it still didn’t take long to win three, which is all you need for the ring of fog.

I also won 400,000 souls once by joining a match at the exact instance that someone died. That was nice, heh.

To add to Mad Hatter’s post, you can also join the Forest Hunter covenant and kill a certain NPC if you want to avoid PVP.

And it’s done! I finally completed Dark Souls after a series of on and off attempts ever since buying the Prepare to Die edition a number of Steam sales ago. The biggest hurdle for me to overcome was gaining mastery over my gamer rage from the many deaths Dark Souls throws at you. A lot of those deaths will be from stupid shit like pressing B when backing out of the menu and unintentionally rolling off a cliff or falling off a narrow walkway because from flicking the stick in the wrong direction. Greed will also kill you when angling for those few last swings against a low health boss only to have said boss butt slam. Being patient, methodical when exploring, and observing enemy moves is the key to getting through a game like this. It’s much like the locker room scene in Top Gun when Ice Man tells Maverick it’s not your flying, it’s your attitude; a good chunk of getting through this game is all about having the right attitude of accepting the fact that Dark Souls will kick you in the grown and laugh in your face as you’re writhing in pain. It’s okay to fail in Dark Souls and it’s even ok to take a few days off if you for R&R if you can’t defeat a tough boss. If my 13 year old self had adopted the same approach years ago I would not have had my NES taken away when I almost destroyed it because of Battletoads.

Another thing that helped was watching Kay Plays Dark Souls on YouTube. I found her channel through this thread and upon first glance her LP is rather unremarkable. No flashy intro animation or slick editing, no face in the corner of the screen like a traditional Twitch stream, just a regular casual gamer playing Dark Souls at the urging of her boyfriend. Little did she know that her Dark Souls let’s play would become widely respected among the Dark Souls bro community. Here was a filthy casual playing a balls to the wall hardcore game and succeeding at it. In fact her Dark Souls LP even got a shout out from Kotaku and I frequently see it recommended for new players to the series. Her Dark Souls upload was the first ever let’s play I watched from start to finish. I learned a lot by adopting her patience and inquisitiveness in exploring Dark Souls. In all of her 80 something uploads I think I only heard her swear under her breath once or twice from dying. Contrast that to your typical G@m3R bro who lets out expletives every 15 seconds.

FROM Software did one hell of a job crafting a provocative world that ranges from the haunting Painted World of Ariamis and its impaled bodies to the LotR inspired orcish dwelling of Blighttown and its rickety scaffolding and wobbly bridge that only a Trump-era OSHA would approve of. The introduction of the visually stunning (!) Anor Londo (Calrissian) and its medieval architecture along with the discovery of Ash Lake via the giant ass tree in Blighttown, ranks up there on my personal list of greatest moments in gaming. Likewise the audio in this game has this rich and foreboding ambience that I haven’t experienced since the first Thief nearly 20 years ago. I can’t get over the sense of scale in this game. The bosses in Dark Souls are huge and even some of the run of the mill enemies are impressive in stature. I logged over 150 hours and the most enjoyment out of those hours comes from carefully exploring for traps and hidden walls (hello Sen’s Fortress). Defeating a tough boss is a reward in its own right but I would gladly spend more hours taking in the sights and sounds of this twisted world.

If there’s one thing I could ding Dark Souls for is that it was too cryptic for its own good especially when it came to Solaire’s. Unless I’m completely missed something the game gives no hint that something bad will happen to him and once it does you lose him as an ally to summon. Using a Fire Keeper Soul to heal was another thing that got me because I had no idea it was in my best interest to save those for upgrading Estrus Flasks. In some respects it felt like this was made by Paradox in which I had to frequently consult a wiki on making sure I was doing something right or that I wasn’t going to waste a rare and hard to find in game resource.

Easiest bosses:
Pinwheel and Ceaseless Discharge:

Hardest bosses:
Firesage Demon - similar to Asylum Demon but with lots of roots to get snagged on when trying to flee a butt slam.
Centipede Demon - mostly due to camera controls. Whenever he got close the camera would flip out like Wang Chung’s Everybody Have Fun Tonight music video. Holy shit I’m surprised that made out of testing.

Bullshit boss:
The Bed of Chaos - the collapsing floor and the center jump felt very gimmicky.

Boss that gave me the most trouble:

Kalameet - that bastard easily took more than 20 or so tries before I managed to take him down. Kalameet was the only boss where I had to take a break from the game for a few days to get my head clear. I went with a STR build so up close and personal was the only way I could take him on and no matter how hard I tried to dodge I would invariably end up in his tractor beam.

Of course this is not to say I found O&S, Manus, Nito, and Gwyn easy. All of those took several tries, but Kalameet made me his bitch.

First game boss to evoke pity from me:
Sif. Oh those insidious devs at FROM. Not that I’m entirely a people hater, but nothing evokes more feelings of compassion and sympathy from me than a wounded animal.

On a related note, I never felt bad about killing minor creatures or monsters in a game until I encountered those mushroom children in the Darkroot Garden. I needed gold pine resin and they are the only creatures in game that can be farmed for it. Dear god, they let out this shrill cry when you deliver the death blow. I can’t recall off the cuff of another game that evoked such a response from me before. I can admit to blowing up kids in Fallout with the lock pick skill but those were just simple sprites whereas the mushroom kids are fully 3D objects who mimic human toddlers in gait and balance. When they are aggro’d they waddle towards you only to fall flat on their face. It’s absolutely adorable and makes killing them that much harder.

I’m currently playing Dark Souls 2: Sins of the Scholar and after about 20 hours in I’m not feeling the love. It feels like a dramatic departure from Dark Souls and it lacks the charm and soul that the original had. The level design and bosses so far are shit, IMO. It feels like a generic action/RPG designed by a team that never played Dark Souls. I’m trying to stick with it but if I had a physical copy of the game I would be inclined to give it away for free here.

Congratulations!

This is my first time in this thread, since back when it was active, I hadn’t finished the game.

Also, think of Dark Souls 2 as a cure-all for your Dark Souls addiction. A game has to be responsible for bringing you down from the high of playing Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 is that game.

This is like the consensus summary of feelings of millions of Dark Souls players, right down to the Dark Souls 2 hate.

Welcome, I guess.

What? No it isn’t a consensus. He didn’t even mention Knight Artorias, the best, hardest and most fun boss in the game.

Part of me wants to buckle down and play through but the other part says life is too short to play games you don’t like. I guess that means I’ll do a second run of DS on NG+.

From all the forum scuttlebutt I’ve read it seems DS2 is awesome if you love PVP but PVE it’s well below what Dark Souls offered. I would love to get my hands on DS3 but I think I’ll hold out for a fully patched game of the year edition when it goes on sale. I saw brief snippets of it on YouTube and oh my Anor Londo on a modern graphics engine looks marvelous.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I picked up an Xbone Elite controller which has paddles underneath the unit which I found useful in remapping a few things. For example, the default to Run is to hold down B button but by doing that it’s very awkward to use the look stick while running. By run to a paddle I can easily use my ring finger to run while my right thumb can easily manipulate the look stick. It didn’t make me a master player or anything like that but in some instances it made backstabbing easier.

Now I’m able to appreciate this gif.

http://imgur.com/kc8kd2E

Me in Havel’s set.

Kalameet was really, really tough. And it also took me a long time to finally beat him. But for me the toughest opponent in the game was Havel.

Of course, it was totally worth it to finally beat Havel so that I could have his set. But when you first meet him at the beginning of the game, I kept trying and trying to beat him. I finally gave up, and then came back a few months later. Tried and tried, and gave up. Then came back a couple of years later. Tried and tried, and gave up. Then when I came back to the game after watching Tom’s Dark Souls 3 streaming, I skipped Havel until later when I could take him down easier.

That still feels like a defeat to me. So I still count Havel as the only opponent in Dark Souls that I couldn’t beat.

I’ve never even heard of this until now:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/vagrant

I never ran into one of these until probably my Dark Souls +++ game, when I was attacked by one near the altar in the large church.

I recently watched a blind play thru (from 2015 I think) where the player came across three of them.