The Rehearsal (HBO)

By the way, I love that in the latest episode, you see a little exchange between the Jewish teacher and Nathan as they’re heading over to talk to Angela. And Nathan asks her if she wants to rehearse this first. That’s Nathan’s whole thing, is that rehearsing things is better. But she says no, she likes shooting from the hip. And I really thought, hey this lady has a good shot at changing minds.

But no, it’s a disaster, of course. They didn’t rehearse! Angela does what she always does, which is bring up Jesus. And the lady just stands right up and gives up, I can’t do this, I can’t talk to an anti-semite. Ha! She didn’t even try! If only they had rehearsed!

Yes, you do, especially if you liked the first episode, as that felt a lot closer to the typical nathan for you episode of escalating ridiculousness.

I think I’m only up to the fourth episode, or maybe somewhere in the fifth, and at this point I’m questioning reality. Will the finale reveal that they have rehearsed me watching it? Am I in the show? I don’t know anymore.

I am going to say it now,

I am predicting that the entire season has been a rehearsal for season 2.

Lol…

Did not expect that.

Really wonder what season 2 will be.

I will go out on a limb and predict: Nathan will do something over-the-top, end up making everything about him, and go too far.

Liam was quite the trouper. And “You’re a good scene partner” was devastating.

Such a perfect non answer

I laughed so hard and so long.

That lady that plays Angela is so good.

What a great show. I think my favorite sequence was the one in which he’s rehearsing how to get Angela to not leave, and nothing he says makes a difference. It’s the closest thing to a time loop I’ve seen in real life. You just rewind time and try again.

This show was such a wild ride.

Two favourite moments from the last two episodes that haven’t yet been mentioned here:

Nathan trying to replace Adam with a grown man or a doll made me laugh so hard.

“So I decided to wait until wintertime, because I thought discussing holiday plans would be a good way to ease into the conversation. But it turns out winter is very expensive to maintain.”

I definitely laughed out loud at those two moments as well.

I just finished the Pretend Daddy episode and that was amazing. All of the moments mentioned so far were fantastic, but my favorite was the re-enactment PA’s offhand “He’s kind of a strange dude, huh.” I was dying.

I enjoyed this essay on The Rehearsal.

Ah, I missed this thread because I can’t spell. I’m two episodes in, and pretty blown away by this thing. Cringe stuff and reality stuff are two of my least favorite things, and somehow this show is still enthralling to me.

It was incredible to me as well. It will be interesting to see how your opinion changes as the show goes on. It goes places.

Well, it certainly did that. I binged the rest of it, and yea, while I love the show overall, the feedback loop of rehearsals and change in tone got really werid at the end there, especially in the last episode. I admire the ambition, but I couldn’t figure out what was going on at the end there. Let me read this article…

…ok, after reading the article above, I think I have a better idea of what the show was going for in those last two episodes. Or at least, now I have a theory that sounds right. Nathan Fielder was playing ‘Nathan’, and the show is about a guy making a show and losing himself in the process. Even framing it that way, though I’m not sure I was super into the change in tone there at the end. I guess I have to chew on this for awhile.

Binging might not have been the correct approach, as I found that my opinions of some of the episode were much fonder in my memory several days after watching it than they were immediately after. It can take time to digest everything.

My opinion going into the final episode was that the show peaked in Episode 1, even though I also enjoyed everything thereafter. But I loved the final episode so much and found it so hilarious that it redeemed the baby-arc for me. I love all the show now, looking forward to rewatching it sometime soon. Everything is so subjective, but that was just my impressions.

If you haven’t already, be sure to check out the show Nathan For You for something very different from the Rehearsal yet extremely good.

Yeah, I get what you mean. I’m still in a bit of whiplash. There’s a lot to take in. I’ve seen bits and pieces of Nathan For You, but I think I’m gonna seek out a bunch based on this.

I just finished this too and I would have liked it if the main non actors weren’t such horrible hateable people.

If with that it was still fascinating to watch.

What’s wrong with Kor!?