The Resistance: Avalon - 2019 Match 2 Game Thread

Thanks!

So I was thinking about this, and it seems very unlikely we’d manage to get two clean teams right off the bat. How can Good avoid going down 0-2? People say it’s a death sentence for Good. How can we avoid it?

Luck and good use of any loyalty revealing cards. You rarely see evil go up two games though. Often they vote success on mission 1 to blend in.

I am Merlin. And a very surprised Merlin at that. I was about 85% sure at the end of the game I was destined to be stabbed after I pushed so hard for Snebmi to be evil from mission 4 onwards. Dave not failing mission 2 really made everything a mess, because scenario X was absolutely the most likely choice and I had to convince everyone that it wasn’t right without being just about the only voice on that side. And if I convinced everyone of Snebmi I also had to disambiguate Casey and Kane: thankfully everyone just accepted my point of view on that one. I was seriously considering claiming Percival (and hoping that my read of Snebmi as Morgana was correct) towards the end if I couldn’t convince people.

But it didn’t look as though I was even one of the choices under debate. Was it my team 1A selection (including Snebmi)? Was I just too loud?

Another thing I didn’t want to mention (to avoid suspicion) was the presumed real reason Dave didn’t fail mission 2: being Mordred and wanting to stay hidden from me (which immediately went by the wayside thanks to the Establish Confidence before mission 3). I was hoping rowe would come up with that one so I could jump on it.

I can’t see how we could come back from 2-0 down there, particularly once Snebmi gets all the information cards. We just have so little to go on, and I probably don’t even know Mordred.

I want to apologise to @CF_Kane for making myself seem like the evil one in the early game due to that team 1A selection. It was only a 50% chance of hitting Morgana and I felt the potential cover it gave me would be worth the harm.
I also want to give a shout out to @Snebmi for playing an excellent game. It was a pleasure (and a huge pain) to deal with your very logical suggestions that looked for a long time like railroading us into defeat. Incidentally, I think you were absolutely right to throw Casey under the bus when you did.

Thanks. I was hoping I could use it to prove someone was evil while being utterly open-handed, which rather worked out.

This!

I went to bed thinking wait a minute, maybe it’s @rho21!

Great job as Merlin.

@Dave_Perkins, I still don’t know why you didn’t fail that mission.

This was a very good game, I’m not sure I can recall one recently where good was basically guessing for team 5. Evil did a great job but good was just too good.

And thanks to @Lantz for entertaining us!

I agree. If Dave fails that mission, then he’s still just one of three possibilities - me, Rowe, Dave. Though it makes it very hard for Snebmi to justify an EC to him, or anyone on the team. But Snebmi is already visible to you anyway, and Dave is still hidden, and good is down 0-2.

I didn’t fail the mission so that we could have a fun game.

Mission accomplished, I’d say.

I, for one, thank you.

I also figured that no one would believe that an evil alone on that mission would vote success, so I thought I’d be golden as good, and then that damned CHART came out and somehow had me pegged as evil like 8 out of 10 times. Whaaaat?

I figured that we would still easily win until that chart. And still @Snebmi and @CaseyRobinson almost pulled it off.

The trouble was that logic applied to rowe and scott too. So mission 3 with the same team should have made Snebmi the obvious culprit. But you’d just cleared Snebmi as good, which broke that scenario.

Also you may have been evil in 8/10 scenarios, but they were far from equally likely (to those not in the know). Very nice feature of the chart that, it really made you and Casey look more evil than the probabilities might suggest. :)

This is making me seem like a bit of a mastermind for good. I assure you it was far more fortuitous and less planned. :)

My decision was definitely meant to trigger a huge amount of soul-searching in Good, which I love watching. Sadly, the CHART forced Snebmi to work overtime, which I regretted. I almost went full-@Lantz and came out as Evil just so that Snebmi didn’t have to work so hard!

It wasn’t selecting Team 1A, I think, it was in combination with voting yes for it. Scott voted no to his team but you didn’t give any hints it was Evil and I figured you didn’t know.

Thanks! I think it was, for me, partially that you made that table and were basing your facts on logic, but you didn’t make that classic Merlin/Evil move of over-explaining who you thought was Evil.

It was also extremely lucky I hit Percival with that reveal.

It really was random that I hit Dave. I was fully prepared to get called Evil, fling mud, and have some doubt be cast on my report of Casey.

Agreed, although it got kind of intense at the end there!

The non-fail of mission 2 had me guessing a bit as none of the scenarios made any sense. I had the advantage of knowing I was Good though. Normally it’d make sense that I was the evil one, since I had the most reason to vote success on 2, without any obvious cover.

I’m definitely up for another go if anyone wants to run it. One of these games I’ll finally be evil again, or at least have a role!

I could be convinced to run one. Sweet talk me, babes.

Eh who needs sweet talking.

1. @Snebmi
  2. @rowe33
  3. @Lantz
  4. @CaseyRobinson

9?
10?

Sign-up, peeps.

Count me in.

It’s so easy to run even I can do it w/o f’ing up a single thing.

I’m in. Ideally we’d get 10 players.

And let’s hope we get more than eight. I like Oberon.