The Resistance: The Plot Thickens: Game 3

Four Spies have infiltrated the ranks of these ten Resistance members. And now, they must survive five harrowing missions to prove their loyalty to the Resistance. Will Resistance succeed in at least three of the five missions? Or will Spies thwart any attempts at success?

In this game, there are 6 Resistance and 4 Spies because there are 10 players. The number of players per mission is as follows. Asterisk (*) indicates that two Failure votes are required to fail the mission, when normally only one is required.

Mission 1: 3
Mission 2: 4
Mission 3: 4
Mission 4: 5*
Mission 5: 5*

========== The Players==========
(randomized by computer)

Blips
Dave Perkins
Brian Rubin
Aaron Sofaer
Lantz
Nikolaj
NyimaR
aeneas
Thongsy
Josemas

========== The rules ==========

There are five turns, or missions. The game winner is determined by the majority: the winning team succeeds in their goals in three or more missions. That is, Resistance win if three or more missions succeed; Spies win if three or more missions fail.

There is a strict no PMs policy (except to the moderator for voting).

Hey, look! I made you a little graphic.

Leader Selection: The first Team Leader (for Mission 1) is selected at random. In normal play, subsequent Team Leaders proceed down the list, and the list wraps around. Leaders can become self-appointed via plot card.

Plot cards: A player can assume team leadership at this time using the Strong Leader plot card. Strong Leader cards can be played immediately after No Confidence.

Mission Start: Plot Cards: At the beginning of each mission (i.e., the first Team Leader for each mission), the team leader is dealt three Plot Cards in-thread. The number of plot cards depends on the number of players, as follows:
5-6 players: 1 plot card
7-8 players: 2 plot cards
9-10 players: 3 plot cards
Thus, for 10 players, there will be 3 plot cards per round. The team leader distributes the Plot Cards to any of the other players (not him/herself). I took this photo of the Plot Thickens expansion rules and (continued) extended descriptions of all plot cards. You can also view the video rules about Plot Cards.

Plot cards: Use Immediately Plot Cards (Take Responsibility, Establish Confidence, Open Up, Overheard Conversation) happen now.

Mission Start: Team Selection: The team leader chooses a number of players to accompany him or her on a mission. The team size for each mission is determined by the number of players, according to the rules. This is done publicly in-thread.

Team Vote: Players vote (open ballot) on whether the mission should be allowed to proceed. Voting will be called at 12 hours past the mission announcement and absent votes, abstentions, and passes will be counted as yes-votes. Votes may be PMed to me so that voting order does not influence anybody; alternately, you may vote publicly in-thread. I will post the results of the votes including the names of all voters. Majority wins; ties favor mission team success.

Players that miss two votes in a row will be disqualified from the game.

Plot cards: Opinion Makers must vote first and publicly (in-thread). Players may wait for Opinion Maker votes before casting their own votes.

Team Vote Results: The results of the team selection and each player’s vote will be displayed publicly in-thread.
If the majority of the votes are negative: proceed to Mission Start: Team Selection. This counts as a team leadership change.

Plot cards: No Confidence Plot Cards happen after the vote in-thread. These count as a team leadership change.

Call to Arms: The moderator will announce that the mission is a go, and that mission team members must PM their votes (see below).

Plot cards: In The Spotlight happens now: play the card in-thread and your answer will in-thread.

Mission Vote: Players selected for the mission vote on whether the mission succeeds or fails (closed ballot). Mission team members must PM me their votes in the night turn. In the first three turns, one failure-vote fails the mission for the Resistance (and wins it for Spies). In the last two turns, two failure-votes are required for Spies to win the mission. This is different from the official game rules.

Resistance players must vote SUCCESS. Spies may choose to vote SUCCESS or FAILURE. This vote is a closed ballot. Vote order will be randomized and revealed without player names. Any missing votes will be treated as SUCCESS votes. Players that miss two votes in a row will be disqualified from the game.

Mission Results: The result of the mission is revealed, including each randomized and anonymized vote and whether the mission succeeded or failed.

Plot cards: Keeping a Close Eye on You cards can be played at this time: play the card in-thread and your answer will come from me by PM.

Plot cards (quantity in parentheses)

(2) Keeping a close eye on you: You may look at one played Mission card
One-time use – The player to whom the Leader passes this card may use this card to examine a played Mission card. Using this card does not require a player to announce its use before the Mission cards are played, nor does it affect the Mission card played. Multiple Mission cards may be checked in a single round, but no more than one player may check a single player’s Mission card on a round

(1) Establish Confidence: The Leader must show their Character card to a player of their choice
Use immediately – The Leader must pass their Character card to any other player for examination

(2) Strong Leader: You can become the Leader. Play before Plot or Team Cards have been distributed
One time use – The player to whom the Leader passes this card may use this card to become the Leader. Use of this card must be declared before the Leader takes any actions (draw Plot Cards or distributing Team cards). When a “Strong Leader” is played, another “Strong Leader” may not be played until a Vote has been taken

(2) Overheard Conversation: You must look at the Character card of a player on your immediate right or left
Extended description: Use immediately – The player to whom the Leader passes this card must look at the Character card of one adjacent player. MB: The “adjacent” player is up or down the list; select the adjacent player publicly and the moderator will PM the result

(3) No Confidence: You may null an approved Vote and force leadership change
One time use – The player to whom the Leader passes this card may use this card to reject an approved Mission team (successful Vote). Using this card counts as a failed Vote

(1) In the Spotlight: You can choose another player to submit their Mission card face up
One-time use – The player to whom the Leader passes this card may use this card to force a player to play their Mission card face up. The player playing this card must declare its use and the target player prior to any player on the Mission team selecting their Mission card

(1) Open Up: You must reveal your Character card to one player of your choice
Use immediately – The player to whom the Leader passes this card must pass their Character card to any other player (including the Leader) for examination. NB: The result (Resistance or Spy) will come from the moderator by PM

(1) Take Responsibility: You must take a Plot card from another player
One-time use – The player to whom the Leader passes this card must take one Plot card from any other player.

(2) Opinion Maker: You must Vote first & publicly for the rest of the game
Permanent Effect – The player to whom the Leader passes this card must select and reveal their Vote card before any other players have selected their Vote cards. This card remains in effect until the end of the game. If two “Opinion Maker” cards are in play, those players must reveal their votes simultaneously

Yeah, I get to lead the first team :D

Alright, everyone out there that’s not a friend of the Empire, raise your hand! I need to know who to select!

Everyone should have their Character assignment at this time. Please PM me if you did not receive yours, or if you have any questions about your Character.

The computer has randomly-selected Thongsy as the first Team Leader.

Sorry! :)

Bwaahaaaaaa. I thought the first name on the list was the first team leader. Excuse me while I go find a dark corner to curl up and cry in.

Time to kick some Imperial ass. I hope this outfit fares better than the last.

Dear Thongsy:

Some prefer flowers,
Some prefer beers.
Distribute these cards to
Up to three of your peers.

Overheard Conversation
No Confidence
Overheard Conversation

Ok so I had an idea I wanted to try out for my team, but this will only really work for the first team:

Each person (except leader) gets 2 votes on who should receive cards. Once those votes are counted and the cards are handed out, then each person (except leader again) gets 2 votes on who should make up the team composition. Those that receive the cards should not be eligible to be on the mission team.

What do people think of that?

Do you want this game to take months, sir?!?!

No, but in the chance that Thongsy is a spy, I want to prevent the spies from manipulating us from the start.

OMG we’re live! I love your idea, Blips. I assign all of my votes to you. HAHAHAHA no I don’t.

p.s. sweet flowchart, fire

Okay I have a theory on who is who. I think it goes:

[B]SPIES[/B]:
Blips
Dave Perkins
Brian Rubin
Aaron Sofaer

[B]RESISTANCE[/B]:
Lantz
Nikolaj
NyimaR
aeneas
Thongsy
Josemas

I came to this conclusion after exhaustively listing out each option and reading all posts thus far very carefully. I would share my reasoning but it is too complicated to write down. Please just trust me.

=^_^=

Dave and Brian are spies guys. We’re already halfway there!

Why is Dave a spy? He’s acting like a crazy person with the obvious intention of action sooo crazy he can’t possibly be a spy. I mean he just accused himself of being a spy. Madness!

Why is Brian a spy? He disliked my voting idea and he’s been resistances like, 3 times in a row now and plus, Dave just called him a spy.

Thank you, thank you, no need for applause.

Boy, I’m really super super glad that I am not a spy.

I LoL’d at Dave’s analysis.

Is this discussion in game our out?

So, we’d have between 10-12 votes cast by resistance people who have no idea who is who, and between 6-8 votes cast by spies (depending on Thongsy’s status), but the spies have the advantage of knowing who is resistance. Might be entertaining but not sure it gets us a safe team? I know I am resistance so I would vote for myself as the only person I am 100% sure is resistance.