The Riftbreaker (TD/ Survival-ARPG/BaseBuilder) 2020

Similar to me because you are controlling a single character that goes around building stuff to make things and defend your base from critters. Riftbreaker does require piping liquids, so it does have some basic logistics.

I recently started playing this and something is pissing me off and I do not know if its by design or a bug.
So I am playing a game and get to a point where things are mostly peaceful with only a raid every once in a while. Then I am done playing for a while so I save the game and exit. Then when I want to play again, I reload and its non-stop monster attacks for like 30 minutes. As soon as I clear one wave, another one spawns.

Also it seems like the monster packs just sitting around the world respawn too. I am fairly sure I cleared many areas, but on reload they are full of monsters again.

As far as the whole ecology angle, I just want to burn everything down and pave the world over to deal with the critters. I still have not left the first area, I am thinking the desert sounds like the best first choice to expand to. Ill upgrade my base to tier 4 first and see what kinds of things I can research.

Monster packs respawn regularly regardless of load status. I can’t say for certain, but I think the wave thing might be more perceptual too, there never seems to a be a really long period of peace.

The do not spawn on built areas do they? Like if I pave the jungle, will that stop the spawns? Not sure I have the carbonite for that yet if it would work.

Not that I’ve seen, no.

But yeah, walk in a straight line in the same direction and kill everything, then walk back to base. Walk along the same straight line immediately after and you’ll find more critters.

I’m pretty sure they don’t respawn if you have radar coverage or I didn’t notice if they do.
Radar doesn’t work vs Raid though.

That makes sense.

Even as I aim to play more “Halloween” games this week, this one has a good hold on me so far. The combination of base infrastructure, combat, exploration, and resource defense makes an engaging combo. I’m not sure ARPG fits, but the single unit focus is certainly in that direction. It’s like a MOBA that’s getting back to its RTS roots. Well, maybe that’s going too far. It’s like….Supreme Commander, but you never build troops and just have your commander and the base stuff. I like it.

However, as I get to mid campaign, resources are running out (god do I hate the “carbonium/ironing has been exhausted” messages all the time). I need to learn the stuff for infinite economy.

Which brings me to the geothermal. I have it, a few tiers in in fact. It’s supposed to give energy and make mud. I see the mud output icon, but my pipes won’t attach to it. What gives? I am trying to pipe the mud to a purifier to use water for other tech. And does it just give energy? Do I need to link it via power cables to the main grid?

And there’s the biomass/ composting stuff to learn too. I did not get that stuff either.

The pipes are probably attached but you’re just not seeing the connection. I recall being uncertain as well, but verifying that the pipes were carrying mud by seeing it through the clear part of the pipe. You can tell if it’s carrying mud, sludge, water, or nothing by the color inside the pipe.

As for the electricity, yes, a geothermal vent will provide electricity along with mud when you cap it. Like any electricity, you will have to connect the supply to a demand if you want to use it. Whether it’s part of your main grid or a local grid, it still needs to be connected.

-Tom

This power plant doesn’t have a proper mud output connection, so the pipe just sort of has to be placed in front of the plant, where the little output arrow is, but it doesn’t actually connect, which i find breaks the realism and immersion. :(

Thank you @tomchick and @lordkosc

Ok, I guess it is just a graphical bug with the geothermal plant. I’ve tried building and rebuilding it and the pipe every which way and it just hovers there instead of connecting. Whew, I’m not crazy.

I’ll check for the color of the pipe window when I next boot it up. Thanks for the tip.

Do you guys just sell your mines when the ore dries up? It’s gone forever at that point right? The warning messages drive me insane.

Yeah, sell the mines, but make sure you aren’t full already, or the mats are lost. Also, you can often build them right back a few squares offset and get going again. Placement matters, and they dig specifically on the spaces you build them.

The color of the pipes becomes more apparent when you have plasma and super plasma to contrast them with. I had some crazyipes running around my Rift bbase at the end, and id occasionally mis-lay them, so they’d be carrying the wrong stuff. Annoying.

Just starting out - great so far… If I’m told there’s a nest ‘close to the base’ do I just have to go and look for it or is there a map symbol I’m missing?

There’s an icon. You can scroll or zoom out the mini-map to find it.

Looks like some substantial gameplay rebalancing is in the works. Right now, it’s just an experimental branch on Steam, but here’s what’s going on with the overall rebalancing:

-Tom

Q1 state of the game.

Some interesting ideas, most of which imply they did a terrible job tuning Riftbreaker for its initial release. That was certainly my takeaway after spending time with it. But I suppose better late than never?

The main points:

-Tom

Definitely. I enjoyed what was there but agree it needed some tuning and some UI tweaks. This sounds very encouraging.

Hmm. I liked the game. I got all the way through and beat it. But by the end I was pretty done with it. I can’t imagine how they’ll change it to make me want to play longer.