The Ruins (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Decided to call it a day after my morning appointment and go see The Ruins. I enjoyed the book for the most part and thought (while reading it last summer) that it would be easy to make it into a movie. In fact, it seemed written with the silver screen in mind. Just need a group of stupid college kids, a jungle ruin with some vines, a tent, and some Mayan-looking people. BOOM! movie…

I’m easy to please when it comes to this kind of “horror” set up so I did enjoy the movie. It follows the book fairly closely with the exception of a few minor character alterations (and how they meet their fate) but be ready for a totally different ending. I much prefer the book’s conclusion and would hope they include alternate endings on a DVD release.

Anyway, definitely a thumbs up from me for a treat on a rainy afternoon with a bag of popcorn, a soda, and a quiet cell phone for 90 minutes.

I saw this today and I have to say the ending fucking blew. I was not pleased.

I haven’t seen it but was surprised to read in a review that the author of the book wrote the screenplay. Maybe not as bad of an example as “Johnny Mnemonic,” but proof once again that having the author involved doesn’t mean the movie will be good.

Oops. I was expecting a documentary about THE Ruins. Fuck this shit.

It certainly isn’t a guarantee though I think The Ruins was pretty good…again, 'cept for the ridiculous ending.

The actual Johnny Mnemonic screenplay was a damn sight better than the movie they ended up making.

I’ve read the book and seen the movie, and I can’t say the ending of the film bothered me. What was the problem you had with it?

I thought the stupid bitch should have been the first to die.

The Greeks showing at after she drove away to safety was dumb. That worked in the book because we knew exactly what their fate was going to be…the cycle was going to start again, with the mayans setting up camp, making a perimeter, etc… That’s cool. But the stupid girl driving away to safety (and unknowingly bringing some of the vine out to the “wild”) drew off any of the dread you’d have felt for the Greeks since she’s obviously going to go to the authorities and they’ll come and save them. Bah.

Of course the Mayans are doing the right thing by keeping the evil vines contained so maybe the “getaway” means there’s going to be a Ruins 2 with it spread over the world, like Day of the Triffids, with pockets of survivors trying to stay alive… that would be cool :)

Wow, so they wimped and let one of the group survive? Lame.

And not just anyone but the most annoying one of them all.

Well, I guess the reason it didn’t bug me is that I read it that she would be spreading the vine beyond the quarantine zone, which would make the movie’s ending even more bleak than the book’s. But whatever. I can see why people wouldn’t like it.

I wasnt even thinking about that I just kept saying fuck just shoot her in the head already someone.

I honestly was expecting to see her brains get blown out as she was driving away. Now that would have been a good ending.

Smith also wrote the book/screenplay for A Simple Plan, which was nominated for an oscar. That’s weird. Two movies I wouldn’t relate to each other.

I quite dug this movie, more than I was expecting.

Since this is a spoiler thread…

Some of the surgery scenes were just painful to watch, in a good-horror-movie way.

The reveal about the cell phone ringtone is just awesome, I loved the whole sequence that followed.

I agree, the ending was kind of weak… I would have much rather seen it end on a note that reinforced the fact that the vine can now spread…

How did the book end?

BTW: needed more nudity w/that hot blond besides just the one at the beginning of the movie. Though, uh, probably not one towards the end of the movie.

Yes, they were well done. In the book it was Eric that had the vine growing inside and went bonkers with self-surgery.

The reveal about the cell phone ringtone is just awesome, I loved the whole sequence that followed.

I agree, the ending was kind of weak… I would have much rather seen it end on a note that reinforced the fact that the vine can now spread…

How did the book end?

The book ended with everybody dead and then the Greeks showed up and the Mayans were right behind them…