The Scalebound Cancellation Thread

“How do we not have a thread about this game?”

I decided to start one now that it’s been cancelled. We should continue using this thread after it’s released in 2019 under a different publisher. The time-specific thread title will be meaningless, but it will become the only phrase you remember when you look for it in the search engine.

Scalebound was a game originally set to be published by Microsoft. It was exclusive to the Xbox One until it was added to the Play Anywhere program, which now probably has zero games.

Here’s the official press statement from Microsoft about this.

[quote]
After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for “Scalebound.” We’re working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including “Halo Wars 2,” “Crackdown 3,” “State of Decay 2,” “Sea of Thieves” and other great experiences.

For more information on our 2017 plans, please visit: http://bit.ly/2i1E5bV.[/quote]

I had zero interest in this game, but bummer if anyone was holding out for it. Now if Microsoft cancels Crackdown 3 though … there’s going to be a ruckus.

Is Below canceled yet? That would make me sad.

Nah man, that movie about the haunted submarine came out like years ago.

Don’t worry. I’m sure Microsoft is very passionate about Crackdown 3.

Scalebound fell flat during the gameplay reveal at whatever convention last year. It had an obnoxious lead character and a slow and awkward boss fight with little to do.

I’m not sure a new publisher is going to want to jump onto a bloated do-everything game that’s behind schedule.

One of the popular gamer thinkpieces is what’s wrong with Platinum Games. Their releases can be a bit uneven. Everyone assumed it was an A team / B team thing. That’s never really accurate, but this was supposedly the A team anyway.

It looked from the start like not a very good game, one that maybe could have been more accepted 10 years ago.

Yeah, I was interested by default simply by virtue of Platinum, but the bits I saw didn’t strike me as particularly impressive.

Platinum Games have released a statement:

We’re sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.

Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR:Automata in March, and including products like GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link and LOST ORDER in the future.

We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!

President and CEO
Kenichi Sato
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/819094011918970881

That really sucks because that was the free game I chose as part of an Xbox One purchase I made years ago. I hope Microsoft lets me substitute another game of equal value which was $60.

There are rumors there was lots of MS interference in the development process.

One of the rumors is they pushed the co-op. Who knows.

For anyone curious, the other products they mention in the press release above are (probably) Japan-only. One is an RPG from a mobile series and one is a mobile strategy game. Nothing to be concerned about.

That wouldn’t surprise me, it just didn’t seem like an “Xbox game” based on what I saw in the press materials. Leading them to either fix it or end it . . .

Well, I spent about an hour on the phone (was transferred 3 times) trying to substitute another game for Scalebound with the $50 promotional discount that I originally purchased it with and got no where. Goddamn motherfuckers.

I have to say it consistently impresses me how uninteresting the MS published games are for me, with the single exception of Forza Horizon series. They don’t have a single game announced or released in the past five years that would interest me. Scalebound has always looked really bad from what I have seen of it too.

What I am saying is that I wish times of Motocross Madness, Age of Empires, Midtown Madness, Crimson Skies, Rallisport Challenge…were back.

Fair enough, but you could be cherry-picking a bit or pining for the PC days. For every Crimson Skies, PGR, or Forza on Xbox there was a Brute Force and a Bloodwake. And a Whacked. And a Blinx 2. And a Fuzion Frenzy. And an Inside Pitch. The console exclusives have always been hit or miss.

Fun fact: Did you know Midtown Madness 3 was made by DICE? I sure didn’t.

Well, yes. I listed games I owned and played back then personally. Never even heard of those you listed. I do consider MS’s output kinda shit (though there are exceptions) ever since they cancelled Loose Cannon due to their refocusing on living room.

I had no idea MM3 was by DICE, but then I never played it. I know the first two were by Angel Studios who are now doing Red Dead games.

Somewhere, Dave Halverson just spontaneously orgamsed thinking about Voodoo Vince, though.

He ain’t the only one.

As I remember the story, Halverson loved Voodoo Vince so much that even the developers were a little freaked out by it.

At the very least, I always got my subscription’s worth of entertainment out of Play magazine. . .