The Secret House

THINK OF THE CHILDREN, BEN!!!

I hate to keep going around and around with you on this, but I happen to expect sugar in ice cream. You’re telling me sugar is an unexpected additive in ice cream, and I am telling you it most definitely isn’t unless you’re an idiot.

Like sawdust, cockroach carapaces, and the souls of orphans. Jesus, McCullough.

You’re carpetbombing this thread with links you don’t even bother to read beyond the title, so you don’t really get to score this point in the win column.

Read the fucking links, Jason. It’s to keep the toothpaste from spoiling during transport and and being on a shelf. And, really, if the whole point of this thread is to just mention stuff found in stuff we use, but at totally safe levels so there’s actually no reason to worry, you need to re-think your verbiage in man y of your posts in here, because that is not at all what you’re implying the point of this thread is.

You’re all alone in whatever zany line of thinking you’re going for with the entire toothpaste thing, bro. You just go on and wipe your teeth with a damp cloth like they did 100 years ago and we’ll see how those choppers of yours fair.

This is not a fact, stop referring to it a fact.

That’s…uh, whitening. Of teeth. As claimed.

Already told you what the formaldehyde is for, Bunky.

You’re not gonna get to drop this bit right here and then quickly try to move onto another area you think you’re still totally correct on. There it is: toothpaste is fine. Disregard all preceding statements from Jason to the contrary.

Bad food is bad for you, more shocking news from the McCullough Investigative News Team.

They do sell that, actually. It’s called Gel-Kam, and it’s a prescription medication, since it contains a relatively high level of fluoride. Downsides are that it’s messy to use (it’s almost a semi-liquid sort of substance), and it has a tendency to stain your teeth (temporarily). Also, in spite of your somewhat puzzling prediction of cheapness, it’s quite expensive, since fluoride is one of the costlier ingredients in toothpaste. Most people don’t need that much fluoride, but it can be useful for people with gingivitis, since fluoride helps teeth resist the acids produced by the gums.

I just love that a joke book is fueling this thread.

I give up. You guys go have your argument with your straw man that thinks the additives in toothpaste are bad even though I haven’t said that and explicitly said I don’t think it’s true.

No J-Dog, you said the additives in toothpaste were useless and I’ve shown you that they aren’t.

Oh wait, hahaha, I lied. Or you did. Or something:

You said “toxic.” Go on, squirm out of this one.

Beyond that, did you ever stop to think how cost-ineffective it would be for companies that manufacture toothpaste to include additives that don’t do a goddamned thing? I mean it’s one to claim a product does something that it doesn’t do (one part of your argument), and another to put things in it that don’t do any and aren’t advertised as doing anything. Speaking to the latter, it just doesn’t make any sense.

On the note of whiter teeth, it’s worth noting that teeth aren’t actually supposed to be white, so by default, all ‘whitening’ is tricking. If your teeth were meant to be white, they would be.

what colour are they supposed to be?

I harp on this EVERY DAY!

You need bacteria! Wiping away 99.9% of the bacteria just leaves 99.9% more space for bad bacteria to (possibly) to move in. Not all bacteria is bad, hell, the amount of bacteria that is bad is so miniscule when compared to the amount of helpful or non-harmful bacteria.

GAH! People and their damn handwashing are breeding super-diseases!

Jesus Bill, you wanna lay off the line-by-line already? He said “I give up.” Let it fucking die.

Then I misspoke, because that’s not my intended point. Most of the time the long list of additives in processed food isn’t that bad for you, but it’s not exactly good either. It’s just strange that toothpaste is effectively flouride, which works, and then a long list of things that don’t serve a purpose for delivering the flouride, the one item that works. The chalk and titanium dioxide are apparently just there to make it look like your teeth look temporarily whiter (not good), and the foaming agents because people don’t think it works without it (hilarious venal sin, nothing to get annoyed about).

Beyond that, did you ever stop to think how cost-ineffective it would be for companies that manufacture toothpaste to include additives that don’t do a goddamned thing? I mean it’s one to claim a product does something that it doesn’t do (one part of your argument), and another to put things in it that don’t do any and aren’t advertised as doing anything. Speaking to the latter, it just doesn’t make any sense.

Have you looked at the dietary supplement industry recently? People will pay lots of money for useless stuff if you convince them it does something.

Anyway, that’s about all I have to say on the subject.

Ironically considering how this thread turned out, the book isn’t some muckracker review of the consumer products you use on a daily basis. It’s a go-go science boosterism review of all the little stuff that goes on around you. The bits about how your house slightly expands and contracts due to solar radiation throughout the day are fascinating, as is the history of how blue jeans ended up blue.

Tooth enamel is a translucent white, but everything beneath it is actually yellow. Healthy teeth will be slightly yellow without bleaching.

Fuck you, Gordon. Jason makes a habit of linking to these idiotic scare stories all the time, and I took him to task for it. Maybe you should have read his post better, you would have seen he wasn’t really giving up at all.

Way to be oblivious. It was an example, you might want to read the second example, you know the part about medication.

Well, I’d think parents that buy their children baby food are hoping that it contributes to their baby, “living healthy,” not merely being palatable processed food stuffs of dubious origins.

Seriously? All of a sudden I feel better about my teeth being a wee bit yellow. I figured I had stained them with the caramel color in Dr Pepper or something (I don’t even know if that’s possible, but I don’t smoke, and I haven’t been able to think of anything else I could have done that yellowed them).

Well, this is a shocking and unique blemish on China’s otherwise spotless record.

It doesn’t mean you’re off the hook entirely; their current shade could absolutely be a bit darker than they would be otherwise.

On the upside, unless you’re a 2-pack a day smoker or an alcoholic whose poison is merlot, there’s not much additional staining you can do to your teeth if you brush once or twice a day.

It also doesn’t mean that white teeth are going to go out of style anytime soon, so if you care what the ladies think, break out a couple C-notes for quality dentist-performed whitening.

Oh we think of the children - that’s why we feed our nephews home made ice cream containing raw eggs (a great natural emulsifier). Nothing but the best! And possible salmonella to add to the fun.

So, that’s how all baby food is made? I don’t really see your point otherwise.

Good enough for Rocky, good enough for everyone!