The serious business of making games

The founder of Undead Labs has started a new games studio, the lead designer of State of Decay 2 has joined him.

Austin Walker is there too, making the jump to dev.

Not about ‘game developers’, but I had to put this somewhere. $4.5M
Resetera Forum sells out to MOBA network.

Mods are still unpaid, lol.

Jeff Vogel makes a new blog entry, about games and writing

The operational team that runs ResetEra will continue to moderate and engage with the community and work with M.O.B.A. Network on future product development.​

For free!

From MOBA’s press release:

ResetEra.com was founded in 2017 and has grown rapidly with a committed audience. Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. The purchase price amounts to USD 4.55 million and will be paid in cash in two tranches, where USD 3.55 million has been paid upon closing, and USD 1 million will be paid by 31 December 2021.

80% EBITDA margin… And people working for free :\

Well you ain’t gonna make wicked profits if you pay people.

Time for guillotines!

How does a message board make money? Is it all ad driven?

Yeah but they’re getting so much exposure, it’s going to be really great for them!

ResetEra has ads and user subs.

Honestly, the reliance on unpaid moderators is, I think, a looming problem for Discord as well.

What unpaid moderators does Discord use?

Basically anyone can setup a Discord, and all those communities rely on volunteer moderation teams.

And that’s on Discord to solve? Or are you just saying it happens there? Because lots of companies use unpaid moderators in lots of places.

Hmm, so moderation is just not their problem. Like they can just wave off responsibility for content on discord?

While I’ll admit FB and Twitter pretty much do this even they occasionally put up the pretense of moderating by randomly booting people.

That’s not the issue. Discord being responsible for moderating the content on the millions of Discord servers is something else entirely. The issue being raised is if Discord is responsible for a company that uses Discord having unpaid moderators.

Huh, so if discord elects not to pay moderators then the public has no expectation of moderation taking place?

Man, FB and Twitter need to fire all their paid moderation and get in on this discord thing.

Have you ever used Discord? Because it kinda sounds like you haven’t.

Sure I’m on it, but convincing me they have no moderation obligations whatsoever is the issue, and in fact I’m on it right now talking about AI War 2 and Imperiums: Greek Wars.

Game devs often make discord the only place you can go to talk about them, so of course I am, even if I still prefer forums like this place.

It sounds like you want to have an argument with someone, but I’m not sure who that is. I am not talking about Discord’s responsibility to moderate the content on its service. I have made no argument about that.