The serious business of making games

I like Fallen Order (haven’t gotten around to finishing it though) so I’m not exactly unhappy about the news, but also not seeing the RPG I want on the list.

No shit. Well that’s not sad.

Republic Commando 2 (as the FPS) or riot.

If Respawn can bring their FPS magic to battlefront, that could be something pretty special.

They are the kings of that genre.

Praying that Respawn makes a new singleplayer Dark Forces/Jedi Knight campaign! I want to experience next-gen vertigo when leaping around girders in the outer reaches of the solar system without slippery movement mechanics.

I really want them to make some multiplayer FPS hotness again.

Dang ninjas and their onions…

The full letter to Hello Games:

Indeed.

I’m fairly jaded, but that letter was pretty amazing.

Those were both amazing experiences for me (vertigo included), as I was relatively new to PC gaming, having bought my first PC in July 1993. I had already discovered Doom, and had yet to discover Thief. It was a glorious time to be a PC gamer, and I totally took all that wonder for granted at that time.

All that to say I agree with you. I’d love another game in that lineage.

Jedi Knight II is probably my favorite Star Wars game of all time, and my buddies and I had a hell of a time in MP with it.

I really wanted Fallen Order to capture that same feeling, but stylistically it’s pretty different.

Which is to say…yeah, me too.

Jedi Academy, and the multiplayer, was so good.

I never got to MP that one – I was the only person I knew who had it. And I liked it really well, too.

It might have something to do with the fact that JK2 was the first game “like that” that I played. My first time wielding a lightsaber in a game, and it was so sweet.

Academy improved on almost every aspect of the game, but it never grabbed me in quite the same way.

You should try out the original Jedi Knight if you haven’t (Dark Force 2). It’s the really ugly era of 3d graphics and ugly water, but it makes up for it with great audio and amazing level design. I think it should still hold up for you today.

Sega is fully leaving the physical arcade business.

I’m pretty sure I went back and played it after, although I don’t know if I ever finished it.

Oh no! Kamurocho will be unrecognizable now.

I always loved the “you never go in through the front door” level design of the Jedi Knight games. Star Wars is really good at doing grimy maintenance areas or dilapidated industrial ruins.