The serious business of making games

will instead look more closely at free-to-play games and its back catalog to make money.

They could just stop regurgitating the same games every year and maybe fix their employee problems.

Wow. If ever there was a sign of a dying company.

Oh boy. I wonder if he was dumb enough to text some of that or e-mail it. Oh right, this is that company that had an entire culture of the problem so… maybe so.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/08/ea-glu-mobile-deal/

The companies expect the acquisition to close in second quarter of this year.

This is very much what we are seeing as we work on new projects. What’s the family and work-life situations of the team members? Depending on that answer, you can have things go gangbusters or progress much more slowly.

Three kids, Twins 9 and oldest is 12. No nannies, good kids. Frustrating at times but we got a routine down. Soren might be right, but I can’t believe this fir now, I’ll lose wind beneath my wings.

Yeah they’re toast.

It’s kind of weird to completely change focus in light of that, though.

Yeah I thought AC Valhalla was doing very well for them too. Isn’t that AAA? Still doesn’t fix their new approach though or their employee culture issues.

I think you’re all misinterpreting what they’re saying. They’re not moving away from AAA games, they’re moving away from relying on them as their sole source of revenue.

It sounds similar to what Nintendo is doing - increasing their mobile output to help keep things varied and reduce overall risk without giving up on their primary expertise of AAA games.

Their quote in that article basically says exactly this:

“We said for a number of years that our normal template is to come with either three or four AAA games, so we’ll stick to that plan for fiscal 2022,” said CFO Frederick Duguet. “But we see that we are progressively, continuously moving from a model that used to be only focused on AAA releases to a model where we have a combination of strong releases from AAA and strong back catalog dynamics, but also complimenting our program of new releases with free-to-play and other premium experiences.”

Okay using your back catalog of AAA games is not moving away from AAA games. It’s more like leaning back and letting the kudos roll in it because you actually did focus on that and those games are still selling.

Taking resources you have now that are working on AAA and throwing them into F2P is moving away from AAA games… unless you’re expanding to get more resources which you intend to only put into F2P games which is not what they’re saying. I don’t know what the heck premium experiences is supposed to be, but it sure doesn’t sound like an actual game.

They just delayed remake of sands of time. Maybe they will remake the remake instead.

They’re not saying anything about employment or who’s working on these things either way so the only possible speculation is informed by their historical actions.

So, based on Ubisoft’s recent success and behavior I’m going to assume that they’re not going to shift people away from what makes them super successful now and instead they’ll hire or contract folks to make f2p games.

I’m not sure why anyone would assume otherwise? Just seems like a lot of cynical assumptions based on misinterpretation.

What exactly do you think they are moving when they say they are moving away from a model. You have to move something from A to B in order to move at all. It’s not as if people are making assumptions on what they are doing; they are taking them at their word. Why not?

They are saying they are not going to be as reliant on AAA. That could mean scaling down AAA releases or (more likely) scaling up other branches while keeping the AAA pipeline pretty much the same.

If they’re not going to scale down AAA games, then they are not “moving” away from AAA games. That would be expanding their business into other types of games or services.

I think it’s just disingenuous to say people are misinterpreting what that article says by trying to say they’re not moving away from something when the title says what again… oh yeah they’re moving away, and the quote says they’re moving from, and we already know they have a F2P flop on hand, also mentioned in same article. I am sure they can flop another F2P and not move a darn thing to do that too. And keeping in mind… it’s just the one article. It’s not like we have 6 months here of Ubisoft broadcasting their intent. What’s posted here is literally a single IGN article.

Moving away from reliance on != moving away from.

Yeah… and Project 10 Dollars was a premium service idea meant to enhance the gaming experiences for gamers, you know, to make sure we didn’t miss out on those “extras.”

RRight now their entire model is exclusively around AAA games. They’re not going to exclusively rely around AAA games anymore. They’re moving / changing their model.

They can easily do that by hiring more people, contracting with outside companies, and many other options.

They can also achieve that by moving people off of traditional AAA games, but that would frankly be extremely stupid considering their current success. And there’s no reason to assume that’s the option they’re going with unless they explicitly state it.