The serious business of making games

Cheer up, man! I’m sure plenty of shills spend more than 50% of their time raising money.

Come on now. Brian Fargo is a respected game developer.

Why would it be a dream to be scooped up by a big house? Wouldn’t it be nice to have a big hit and just remain independent. I mean i get he can only say so much but being in an in-house get payers to subscribe to stuff, is that really the goal?

So now he can spend 50% of his time convincing Microsoft execs to give him the money instead. Sounds like a major improvement.

You cannot possible be this stupid? The point is that he now can spend all his time on game development.

Not every entrepreneur dreams of selling their company to a larger company. Some of them want to be the large company, the ongoing legacy.

Also, what the hell, why so rude?

Because some of the answers in this thread (not yours) are pretty (intentionally, I’m sure) obtuse.

He explains in the article how the big hit is really unlikely and how you end up only having a few weeks of funding ahead of you and spending all your time worrying about how to get more.

Having been bought up allows him to take a step back, know the money is there and really focus on what game the studio wants to make next. I’m sure he’s a developer, rather than a CFO at heart. So he gets to focus on what he loves doing and is best at.

If he had unlimited funds of his own, I’m sure he would be quite happy remaining independent. But in this particular situation, it’s not hard to see the acquisition as something that will benefit him and the studio.

That’s not an excuse. That was incredibly rude. I don’t know why people dislike this guy or call him a shill or whatever though. He just sold his company as far as I can see. It’s not a crime.

And Yes, I know. I read the article. But we’re talking about dreams, his word, not mine. Dreams are not always realities. I also understand he was purchased so he has to say that’s great but that doesn’t explain it. That explains why he’s happy it happened and why he accepted but to call it a dream, like you open your business in the hopes of one day being gobbled up by one big corporation.

Sorry, just tired of some people here being so incredible cynical and thinking the worst about people all the time (especially when not called for).

The point I was making (sarcastically) is that the grovelling for money and influence doesn’t magically go away when you get bought by a publisher. Well, sometimes it does for a little while until existing projects are done. But eventually you have to make all the same presentations and justifications to some exec who wants to know why you should get development and marketing money instead of Halo 32.

It’s possible that Fargo will no longer have to deal with it and if so that’s great for him. But somebody will.

Fargo demoting himself to designer/developer doesn’t seem likely.

I understand…

I can’t speak for others, but when I see these big houses buying others, my response usually measures between mixed and disappointment, depending on who does the buying. I don’t blame them and sure, I am bet resources like money are a part of the reason they are selling, I am not going to blame the studio for that, I am just wondering if that is really the “dream” result so much as hey this is where we’re today, and I hope this gives us a chance to do whatever it is but I feel sad for them if they really would have preferred the solo act and just couldn’t do it.

Well I can see an honest appraisal where this is the dream. Not nessecarially he being bought out, but more along the lines of ‘the realities of what my job are take me away from what I’m best at and most enjoy. Being bought gives a financial stability that allows me to do more of what I’m passionate about’. And I can totally see how ‘being able to do more of what I’m passionate about’ would be the dream for someone after time.

I mean he could be blowing smoke, or he could be honestly realizing that he would never be able to dedicate himself to what he’s best at and enjoys most in their current situation.

Grass isn’t always greener and all that.

That makes sense i guess. I suppose i figured if most wanted that route they would have pursue employment to begin with but if someone wants to dabble on their own but then changed their mind after that experience… yeah okay.

You mean this green grass?

And to be clear, I’m not claiming any insight or anything into this. Merely postulating that his statement that this is his dream may have truth to it, and that It may have nothing to do with the action of being bought out.

Or it could be a line. I have no ability or interest in judging.

Which I appreciate. Your alternate pitch make sense at least.

It is not uncommon for developers to get acquired even at lower than market value just so they can focus on making games & serving customers instead of worrying about payroll, healthcare, partner relations, vendors. Yes its a huge hassle.

I know it often (ok usually) ends badly as bigger companies have surprisingly little idea how to manage acquired creative teams. That said it sometimes works, I am happy for Brian Fargo. I hope it works out for him and the team there.

Sigh.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/332500/Daybreak_Games_lays_off_estimated_70_employees.php

As Smed has said this is bullshit.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/1071150203363713024

And on a personal note I find this pseudo corporate bullshit statement from daybreak particularly offensive.

The full statement from Daybreak can be found below:

“We are optimizing our structure to ensure we best position ourselves for continued success in the years to come. This effort has required us to make some changes within the organization and we are doing everything we can to support those impacted in this difficult time.”

“As we look to improve efficiencies and realign resources, we remain focused on supporting our existing games and development of our future titles.”

Its people they just put out of work they are describing here.

That’s too bad. I had such high hope for Daybreak Games, once.

It’s a really hard time of year to lose a job. I hope they get some measure of hope and have a good chance moving forward.